1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Knife-control coming to the UK?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Darkwolf, May 27, 2005.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

2. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Silly, but logical.

***sarcasam alert***

After all, if guns kill people (rather than people using guns to kill people) and must be banned, then knives cut people and must be banned. Baseball bats bash people, so we should ban them too. Oh, yes, and rocks too. In fact, since anything can harm people we need to ban the entire material world. Yes, that will make things much safer. :rolleyes:

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    and yet cigarettes will still be sold, but with labels saying:

Are you stupid? Do you want to die? Why don't you just drink poison?

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This is the road to perdition that we are walking here. As long as we listen to small "L" liberals who tell us that there is no such thing as responsibility, we'll have crap like this happening. PEOPLE kill people, and those that do should be either killed or locked up for the rest of their lives. Instead . . .

When a man rapes and kills a little girl (a fellow FINALLY got convicted of just this crime here in Alberta, after 15 years of walking free) all of the liberals get together and by the time they're done, they're saying that:

1) It was the 6 year old girl's fault for acting sexually provocative,

2) The man is the REAL victim because rich people didn't decide to give him their house and choose to live on the streets themselves and

3) Anyone who would even think of doing anything violent to this filth must be the REAL criminal.

It really makes me sick to my stomach.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    [​IMG] Banning pointy knives? It's about time.

(Sorry didn't read the article; didn't want to register).

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ooops, sorry about that, didn't realize that it required that. I must have registered long ago and it was in my cookies or something. :o

Interesting quotes:

Any more than that and I am afraid I will cross the line of excerpting and just be stealing the whole article. If you want to read the rest, you will have to register.

7. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And I thought people in my country were stupid. @ Lord Keldin: Those people aren't true liberals. They are what I like to call MORONS. Actually, I want to call them a lot of things, but I would probably be banned from this board for doing so, so use your imagination. In my true liberal opinion: you can't hurt those animals, and the "liberals" that say that crap, enough, and I absolutely support the law trying everything they can to make them suffer. But I digress. Once again, my faith in humanity is shattered and soiled upon. Next they will outlaw shoelaces, belts, clothing that can be torn into strips, pillows, cars, trees, water, well, you get the idea. Grrr. Idiots.

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

My immediate reaction was asstonishment, but it makes a kind of sense. If long pointed knives really aren't of any benefit in a domestic kitchen situation, then why make them available when they are being used for violent attacks? I only use long knives for chopping and cutting, if I need a point I use a smaller knife for better control of the tip. I sure as hell have never used the point on a tin of spam (stupid example) and I use a roasting fork.

This isn't really about saying that those that attack aren't responsible for what they do, it's aimed at limiting how much damage they can actually inflict.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, but butcher knives don't have pointy tips and you can still really injure someone with one of them. Heck, if you were going to murdur someone by slitting their throat it wouldn't matter if the knife had a pointed blade or not...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Not to mention the fact that if you roll up a magazine, you can crush someone's throat with it if you thrust it hard enough.

Many people DO need a sharp, pointed knife for the kind of cooking or craftwork they do. The question here is just how far are we willing to go in the "nanny state" mode? When are they going to start actually punishing people for their behaviours rather than make stupid laws that inconvenience the vast majority of us who are not violent offenders?

11. Entropy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree with Khemsa. People kill people, not guns or knives. Knives however are usually MEANT for other purposes than a good stabbing when your bored, whereas guns are generally meant for killing or to blow someones leg off when your bored. Getting rid of pointy knives isnt going to change anything. You will still get fools who like to hurt people when they are bored, and with a knife, gun, rolled up piece of newspaper, in the end if they want to hurt someone when they're bored, they're gonna do it. skrew drivers, broken glass bottles, pieces of wood with nails stikcing out of it.. personally i'de rather be shot or stabbed rather than be hit with a stick with nails in it, cos the guy was bored.

However there is a solution, however it might be pricey. buy all those fools playstations with grand theft auto so they'll no longer be bored and can stab, shoot, bash, poke, flay, sexually harass, lick anyone they want on that game.
    That'll keep those hooligans off our streets and prevent violent crime!

Or maybe delivering a scar face video to all the scumbags in the world! i'm sure that would keep there stab happy minds busy.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I think providing them with Punisher comics might have a better result.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    /me is thinking about all the excellent and murderous tools in his kitchen ... and garden

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Got lots of explosive fertilizer, Rags?

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Nah, just pointy and well maintained instruments.

I'm one of those people who are aware that a spade has a blade, that needs to be kept sharp. It makes quite a difference when working the earth.
    I haven't tried it on people, though I'm confident it would hurt.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Put simply, the article talks about stabbings with long knives, presumably because they can reach internal organs and do major internal damage. Non-pointy knives would only be able to slash - clothing offers a greater degree of protection from a slash than a stab (the stab applies the force at a direct point, the slash across the width of the blade and generally will be angled across the body. A slash is unlikely to penetrate far - only doing surface damage which is a lot easier to patch.
    I imagine most people know that slitting someones throat will kill them, whereas stabbing is less likely to be fatal. (I find it easier to believe that people want to cause pain than to knowing kill someone) Additionally I would have thought that slitting someones throat in a confrontational situation would be fairly difficult, whereas you have a much larger area to aim at with a stab.

These other items talked about, buthers knives, garden tools etc (I wouldn't have thought there would be the "cool factor" with a sharpened trowel - which is going to be a factor in the weapon of choice) obviously have a use, therefore they wouldn't be banned. The point of the article is that, if you need a point, it will be for precision work, which you'd use a small knife for. Therefore long pointed kitchen knives do not have a use, so there would be no harm in banning them.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I still say that the real solution to violence is that if someone has 3 convictions for violent crimes, he should be removed from society so he cannot rack up any MORE convictions!

Ragusa, as an aside, have you read "All Quiet on the Western Front"? Paul's sergeant teaches the boys how to kill a man with a spade by driving the sharpened edge into the opponent's throat.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.