1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

War Blade or Vorpal Sword?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elebereth, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Elebereth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I was just wondering which one do you think is more useful. The Warblade is more powerful but the Vorpal Sword can kill in a single hit. So which do you use?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

if I recall correctly, the enemies are allowed a saving throw against the death, right?

if that's so, I tihnk I would use the warblade, depends on the enemies though. If it tough enemies with good saving throws, I would use the warblade, if weak saving throws, I would use the vorpal blade.

3. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Nah, use vorpal blade. When you're able to get the warblade and vorpal blade your at high enough levels thats a couple of points of damage won't matter. And your thac0 will be pretty low so you'll have lots of hits meaning monsters will have to make lots of saves and eventually they'll fail. I had minsc with the vorpal blade and he would always cast several dooms to lower saves. Course i like the warblade better cause it looks cooler.

Anyways, i think both suck, i would use that evil only 2handed sword in the underdark(the soul taker??) the one that lowers thac0 with each hit.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I would say take Warblade, has a much better SF....

Btw, the word is called Soul Reaver and can indeed be used by evil only.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I could never decide which one to use, so I always had both in the quick weapon slots. I used both on and off.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Warblade is a mighty weapon: it deals 1d12+4 damage and gives a +4 bonus on THACO. That´s great, especially when you have a mad and very strong ranger in your party (rangers don´t get a THACO as good as fighters iirc). With 6 it has very good initiative for such a big weapon and weighing just 10pd it is pretty light for its size.

The vorpal sword has, except the 25% chance to kill instantly when the saving throw vs. death fails, a THACO bonus of just +3 and deals 1d10+3 damage. With 10 it´s initiative is a wee bit poor. It weighs 15 pounds. It is a great weapon for a pure fighter, especially a kensai.

I used it like Taluntain and Lokken: I put both weapons to the quick weapon slot and choose the weapon depending on the enemy I faced. I actually preferred the warblade to the vorpal sword.

7. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The choice in my opinion depends on your playing style.

If you are a slasher-slicer killin machine, use the Warblade.(which looks quite strange in the character's hand; blue glowing thingy)

But if you are one of the roleplayer type(like me, I think), then you definetely would want a vorpal sword for yourself. I personaly prefer this weapon.

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited June 06, 2001).]

8. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] :mad:the soul reaver is a ripp-off from Legacy of Kain :mad:

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Have You ever thought that the "celestrial Fury" stunned enemies more often than You suspected? If Yes on this You might understand when I choose The Vorpal sword. I think it Slay enemies more often than good is. Often have I seen 3 perhaps 4 enemies slain in row.

ONLY TO POWERPLAYERS :D

With 3 attacks per round there is 58% chance of forcing the creature to save Vs. Death once per round.Calculation: (1-(3x0,75)%
    Most creatures save Vs. spells like Fighters based on their Hit Dice (PnP rules) To give You an Idea on this, Dragons Have from 14-25 HD. A mummie has 6 HD, A Rakshasa 7 HD, A Sahuagin 2 HD, A Lich +11 HD
    An Example:
    The Lich has 11 HD so saves as an 11 level fighter against Death. It has 7 in Save vs death. It gets a penalty of 2 from the sword. This means 9. this gives a 8/20 chance of failure. Pretty good. All In all 23% pr.calculation 58%x(8/20) Round of Slaying a Lich.
    Pretty good. The War blade is only to be preferred by LowLevel characters where Thach0 improvement of 1 is important. And against creatures only struck by +4 weapons. This last reason is enough to have the weapon in the quickitem slot together with the vorpal sword.

I don't know if normal AD&D rules apply. Often they don't in BG-series

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 06, 2001).]

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

In BG2 liches seem to be immune to the vorpal sword effect, even if they save vs. death as well as the finger of death effect.
    Sorry if I be mistaken but ain't liches know 9-th. level mage spells? So they must be at least HD 18, no???

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I could never pass up the Vorpal Blade - especially with the Robert Carol poem in my head "Jabberwocky"

[Question - if you used the vorpal blade vs a lich successfull, wouldn't you instantly make him a demi-lick! j/k]

Here is the full text to the poem where the Vorpal Blade got it's start. Unless the War Blade has a history in a child's poem, I'm sold on the Vorpal!

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

'Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!'

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought-
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

'And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arns, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
    He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The HD-monster system works beyond any
    PC-rules. I admit that the Lich was a bad example though. Perhaps the worst example I could use at all!! :o
    Liches are most often wizards of at least 18th that have become undead. Furthermore Undeads may have unique saving throws and immunities to slaying. My bad example doesn't change the fact that many monsters we consider hard actually have a poor saving throw Vs. Vorpal sword.

13. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Warblade rules, that's all I have to say, except that when you go for the vorpal sword, you'll meet a wild mage...coooooollll...! ;)

14. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Bah, forget the warblade and vorpal sword. Soul Reaver RULES!! Put on the helm of ali change if you can't use it(though you have to cheat to get it :() Another note, monsters can't make all those save vs deaths and the vorpal blade's effect does ignore MR. Imagine getting a lucky instant kill on the dragon in hell. Only reason i liked the warblade was it glows.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.