1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greater Wolfwere

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Abednigo, Jul 29, 2001.

1. shadow_thief Guest

TotSC is a good exp. Ok, it sucked a bit...but that not the point. And Extrimist doesn't lie unless it's sarcasism or a joke, but even then it's obvious. Those stupid greater wolfweres are NOT hard to kill, unless you have a super crappy party, which you shouldn't have.

2. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] My story,

The Windspear hills quest was one of last quests I did before going to spellhold. When I came face to face will the Greater wolfwere I casted hold on it, casted haste on my party, and sat there as my party had a hack fest. WITH MY ENTIRE HASTED PARTY USEING ALL THERE MIGHT IN COMBINED ATTACK AGAIST A HELD CREATURE, IT STILL WAS REGENERATING FASTER! After 15 minutes of battle I gave up! reloaded. Went to spellhold-underdark, came back, got the sliver sword and slew the damn beast. That was the only way that seemed possiable. The funny thing is, I ran into another great wolfwere and without the help of the sliver sword/hold/or even haste I was able to kill it with ease. It's a bug.

3. Abednigo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay, wow, I didn't think this thread would go on for so long. For anyone who runs into the same problem, here is what I did to kill the darn thing.

My party consisted of my Swashbuckler Thief (I love thieves - my first time through I always play a thief - makes it more of a challenge); Jahera, Minsc, Keldorn, Aerie, and Anomen.

Previous to Round 1: Aerie summoned a lesser fire elemental, and I sent him in to kill off the wolfweres and extraneous badies. Keldorn cast Protection From Evil on all my characters, and then I had the other spellcasters cast Haste on me, Minsc, Keldorn, and Amonen. Minsc gulped down a potion of Frost Giant Strength, and I put the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength on Keldorn. I then readied Jahera behind my front row of fighters to cast healing spells.

Round 1: Aerie and Amonen cast Lower Resistance against the Greater Wolfwere. Minsc attacked with Liracor +3, Keldorn attacked with his sword (I forget what it is), and my Thief (equipped with the Sword of Chaos +2 and the Pixie Prick +3 - he has 3 slots in 2 weapon style, 2 slots on short sword and 2 slots on dagger) hid in shadows and circled around behind the creature.

Round 2: Minsc got a critical hit, Keldorn got a critical hit, and my thief hit for a combined total of 74 points of damage (yes, I was so pissed I wrote the totals down).

Round 3: GW is "Uninjured." Minsc hits, Keldorn hits, and my Thief takes some damage. Jareha starts casting her healing spells, Aerie casts Lower Resistance for the 2nd time, and Anomen starts to use the Wand of the Heavens.

To make a long story short (too late) 5 hits with the Wand of Heavens later, I had a stroke of luck getting Minsc, Keldorn, my Thief, and Jahera all to hit on the same round - Keldorn with a critical and my thief with both weapons, and Aerie casting Magic Missiles for a combined total of 98 points of damage. GW was "Near Death" and on the next round Minsc hit for 12 points of damage and GW dropped dead.

I sat in my chair staring at the screen wondering what the heck just happened, and I felt like I'd killed a dragon. Then I saw the exp. - 18,000. Next time, I'm casting Invisibility and Sanctuary and walking around the Mthr Fker.

Thanks for all of your help.

Any tips on the Shadow Dragon?

A

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For God's sake I'm not obviously speaking English here, and any of you obviously don't know where did I found that quote.

1. Based on your XP in Firkraag's dungeon you'll see no Greater Wolfwere, or just one or three of them.

2. NOWHERE ELSE in the game you can't see those particular Greater Wolfweres - others in the game are different (don't mix them with Greater Werevolves).

3. Use the console to create one of them (code: WOLFGR01) and see how "easy" is to kill it.

[EDIT]
    I forgot: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Please, in your next post don't speculate nor spam, do read that damned SoA manual and test the creature from the console if you think you easily killed it! :mad:

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited August 01, 2001).]

5. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Actually a Greater Wolfwere and a Pit Fiend are summoned by the mirror portal in the Spellhold dungeon. My party consisted of me only....a solo M/T and I couldn't summon enough things and lay on enough damage to kill it...the Pit Fiend was like a gibberling in comparison. I had to leave the Greater Wolfwere alive...and it has been the only creature my solo M/T couldn't kill thus far....haven't tried a dragon or ularithid or elder orb yet though. With a party of a couple melee characters, I had never had any trouble taking down the Greater Wolfweres in Firkraag's dungeon at all...solo they are proving to be very durable.

6. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

funny how hard they are to kill, but when your druid shapeshifts to one, he gets the crap kicked out of him

7. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Extremist must have been right! You guys are mixing the greater wolfwere with the greater werewolf!

The shapeshifter transforms into a greater werewolf - not a greater wolfwere!

8. shadow_thief Guest

Duh. Yesterday I read the manual and there it was(I donno how do that quote thing, oh well):

WOLFWERES, GREATER WOLFWERES
    Unlike the werewold, the wolfwere is a wolf that transforms into humanoid form. Their most powerful form is their hybrid human-wolf shape. While in this form they possess immense strangth and regenerate quickly. The greater wolfwere is extremely dangerous. This creature regenerates so fast as to be nigh indestructible. The only way for a party to kill such a mighty beast is to focus all of their might against the creature in a combined attack.

PS. Remember Extrimist? I'm a cheater.

9. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I did the Windspear Hills at a pretty high level (I didn't have trouble with the WolfWeres, so I had Adamantite Golems to make my life miserable ^_^) Haste yourself, or try Improved Haste. If you have a good mage, have them cast Greater Malison, then maybe Lower Resistance once or twice, and then Finger of Death. Dead Wolfwere. That's what I used on Firkraag actually... ended the fight very quickly.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Thanks Shadow_Thief, I guess that cheaters who call me queer sometimes can be serious enough... ;) :p (btw, where's Dudette?!)

Actually, I'm already sick of spams in this thread, but I found out one more place where you can meet one more Greater Wolfwere in person - Plannar Prison. He is surrounded by four Wolfweres in one of trapdoored areas (you just have to step on trapdoor and you'll drop in those areas).

I don't know how he got Greater Wolfwere in Spellhold mirror portal - in my game that portal displays Genie, Pit Fiend and Death Knight. However, I don't have ToB and maybe it's changed there.

Important
    High level :rolleyes: means - you'll get to fight in Firkraag's dungeon
    - one Greater Wolfwere if you have 1000000-1999999 experience
    - three Greater Wolfweres if you have over 2000000 experience.

And this is talk about GREATER Wolfweres - not werevolves, greater werevolves or wolfweres.

11. DemoGorgon Guest

I like cernd in ToB turning into a greater wolfwere. can he do that in soa?

12. shadow_thief Guest

Cernd can't turn into a greater wolfwere, I bet. He probably can turn into a greater werewolf. Geez, didn't Extrimist and I just post what the manual says?!

PS. Extrimist, Dudette dropped out. She only posts when she needs help. Also, she says she sometimes goes to the chatrooms.

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Ahhh I'm an idiot!

14. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Yes Extremist I have ToB installed...maybe that is how I got a GWW in the mirror portal...since the char is solo, he is also over the old cap in SoA which doesn't exit in ToB. Perhaps the higher exp is why it spawned the GWW. I don't recall what creatures spawned there the other times I played through spellhold without ToB...but I didn't think it was a GWW now that you mention it.

15. MrSerious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I killed the greater wolfwere(the very one we're talking about in the windspear hills) tonite with a single fighter mage. I used the celestial fury and the blade of roses. This is the very last quest I'm doing before heading off for the final showdown. I hit it four times, each hit doing less than 30 points of damage. I should have taken a screenshot. I don't have any proof that the problem in question is a bug, but I do know from my own experience that only ONCE since I started playing this game was that greater wolfwere "nigh indestructible"(oh wait, make that COMPLETELY indestructible).

A greater wolfwere has 66 hit points. I don't know exactly how fast it regenerates, but it would have to be pretty damn fast for a party to dish out 100 hp per round and not kill it.

And please let me reiterate that I've only been unable to kill the beast ONCE. All 7 or 8 other times I've come up against it...dead dog. And yes, extremist, I do know the difference between a wolfwere and a werewolf.

In any case, I suppose that since the beast has been slain, there's no sense in arguing about it, unless somebody wants to fix the bug. :b

[This message has been edited by MrSerious (edited August 02, 2001).]

16. FireNova Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well let me ask you guys something. Everyone of you say that it is a bug, and everyone of you that say its not a bug, are wrong. Yes, your both wrong. I found many duplicates of shadows in the game with different codes. Some being the same in every way, some being different in hp, etc. Well anyway, since there are many duplicates, at higher levels maybe the wolfweres get replaced by stronger wolfweres. Regeneration that fast may or may not be a glitch, you can't rightfully decide that do to the only people that would know such a thing is the creators themselves.

17. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

The same "problem" can be seen in BG2 with other regenerating creatures like trolls and giant trolls also. Once my druid touched a giant troll with the harm spell, but the giant troll was uninjured in the next round.
    If the description is right, then all you have to do is to attack the greater wolfwere with all your party members and it will fall.

18. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have some suggestions (I prepare myself for my own encounter with 3 - I suppose - greater wolfwere in Firkraag dungeon).
    Throw Web, Entangle or Slow on them first.
    Cast a Greater Malison second, after that a Limited Wish/One time wish/"I wish that all my enemies will die" -> Wail of the Banshee. With some luck, you'll kill them. If it's not working, try Figer of Death and, why not, Chromatic Orbs.
    It's a place for Desintegrate or Flesh to Stone also.
    In a few days I'll try myself the combination.
    Good luck.

19. shadow_thief Guest

Tell me, how are you sopposed to get 9th lvl spells at Winspear Hills? I mean, I just went to my dad's final save in SoA and Imoen just had up to 7th level spells. Please explain...

20. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Shadow_Thief, you are a bit confused here. Limited Wish is a seventh level spell and you can buy a scroll of it in the Adventurers Mart at any time.

If you are playing solo you hit the exp cap after 4-5 bug quests, so level 7 or 8 mage spells isn't something unrealistic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.