1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cost of Children?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

On the very rare occasions we have had to give Harbourboy Junior a drug, it has been what is known as 'Pamol' here, which is some sort of babyified version of paracetomol which comes in a strawberry flavoured gel. Luckily, he has been pretty good and we've only used it a couple of times in his first year.

2. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just my 2 cents worth for those of you considering whether to become parents or not-Go ahead, make your baby. There's never going to be a perfect time in your life, so it might as well be now. Unless of course one of you is two semesters away from earning a Ph.D.

3. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ Scot: I'm 2 years away from a Pharm D. :cool:

But what you just said is what my dad keeps telling me. But he just wants us to have the first grandkid soon because all of his kids are grown now, almost.

@Harbourboy: Paracetomol and acetaminophen are the same thing according to one site I just found. Just called different names in different countries apparently.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Scot's right - if you're ready enough for kids to think about budgeting, it's probably time to start trying. There will always be something going on in life you can use as an excuse not to, but if you think about it the excuse will be seen for what it is: fear and nervousness. Life stretches to accomodate what we really want, especially babies. :)

Heh, Arlyn's first birthday party was held the same day as my Master's graduation ceremony...

5. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Breastmilk may be free in the sense that you don't buy it at the store, but on the other hand, I have found that my grocery bills are way higher now than they were before I started nursing. When the kid is gaining a pound a week from my milk, how many additional calories do I have to eat to make that milk? I don't know the answer, but I can say for sure that it's a heck of a lot of food, and I'm still losing weight like crazy. So I'm not entirely sure that breastmilk comes out cheaper than formula if formula only costs $15-$30 per week as someone else suggested above. Not that cost is the primary factor in that decision, but the "breast is best" argument can wait for another thread. :)

If your wife is going back to work when the baby is wee, you probably won't have time to wash your own cloth diapers, and a cloth diaper service (they deliver clean ones and take away the dirty ones) costs about the same as disposable diapers.

We got a lot of second-hand stuff from relatives and a lot of shower gifts too. We bought a baby swing ($130), a manual breast pump ($60) and a baby bathtub ($12) and everything else was given to us, new or used. We spend about $20/week on diapers (these are all Canadian dollars) and then the only other real expense at this stage is the increased grocery bill to feed me, the dairy cow. For us the only real financial cost of parenthood so far is the cost of me being at home instead of in the workforce. Of course, wait until he's school-aged... and if you're not comfortable with giving your kid second-hand stuff, the costs can be very high for everything from clothes to furniture.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.