1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Golem Slaying *TIP*

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Athalon, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ahhh, sorry, Extremist, I was referring to early-level golems (as might be found in Nalia's Keep) with the snares. I'm also fool-enough to be playing a M-PC :o (thief, amongst, who may set snares), not realizing the EXP cap refers to total, not per class, EXP -- tjekanefir and his excellent site have set me straight: http://www.geocities.com/bigorrin/amn.htm
    I'm surprised that site doesn't get more reference (and reverence), as I've found it (as well as this one) invaluable!! :D

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] MC FMT is my main hero too. Anyone says here that's foolish? *glower*
    Of course it is not stupid.

What about XP cap? So what. FMT will nail any other class easily no matter the cap. Wanna try? ;)

3. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I will stand up to your FMT with my Ranger/Cleric. ;) :D

4. TheBully Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Last game I played I used a full on thief with all her ability points put into pick pocketing. It was good at the begining of the game as I could nick virtually whatever I wanted.

Hmmm, I cant remember but does the shadow thief fence geezer accept fenced goods. If so that could be a good source of cash.

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

IIRC, there are a few places where you can sell stolen items:
    - trader in the thieves guild
    - at night there are two more traders that appear in the slums district: one at the SE corner of the map, and the other right near the Temple of Ilmater (on top of CC)

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Modjahed, time & place please *evil grin*

7. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Any place, any time, YOU choose... *wide nasty grin*

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited July 31, 2001).]

8. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's posible? I like to see a contest between diferent classes. I never used multiplayer option, so I do not know anything about it.

9. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

with that crom you can kill nearly all golems and trolls except that dang adamanite.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Heh. I don't play online (NEVER!). Also, I can't come to Minsc... :p

Any suggestions?

Hmmm... Maybe I should mail you the saved game to try it?

11. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You don't need to be online to use the multiplayer. I would highly recommend using this instead of single player, becuase you can import and export characters at will. Whether you're a power gamer, or someone (like me) who gets sick of characters quickly, you're not stuck with one guy and the NPCs the whole game. If you've ever played IWD, it works just like that.

12. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Extremist:

I am starting a new thread in Whatnots called "BG2 Deathmatch", because this thread is about to get out of topic.

Take a look there, and hope you like the idea I have.

13. MrSerious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

my golem slaying technique is very simple, and requires no artifacts or super-weapons like crom faeyr. All it takes is the celestial fury(ok maybe that's a super weapon, but its fairly easy to get), a +3 blunt instrument(skullcrusher or flail of ages, and a haste(preferably of the improved variety). The celestial fury may not do any damage to those golems immune to slashing damage, but its stun effect works on all golems. One character bangs at the golem with the fury, stunning it, while another puts the hurt on it with the blunt weapon. This works really well with F/M chars who can be almost immune to a single golem with a stoneskin and mirror image(the FM draws the golems attention while a second character sneaks up and starts pounding).

The other important thing that's already been mentioned is to try to engage the golems one at a time. Look for a doorway that can be blocked by your fighters, so that you don't get mobbed by a large group of golems, and ALWAYS engage the giant sized golems in doorways so that you can retreat if things turn sour and you need to get some healing.

Golems can be irritating, but they are by no means difficult opponents if you know how to handle them. As an earlier poster mentioned, they have no brains.

The only *really* hard golem encounter is the big one in the planar sphere. That one requires some creative spell-casting and maneuvering, or a party composed entirely of +3 blunt-wielding berserkers.

[This message has been edited by MrSerious (edited August 01, 2001).]

14. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] I played the planar sphere at a fairly high level, so I had to face an Adamantite Golem.... :(If you know the spell, try summoning a couple of Mordenkainen's swords (immune to physical damage). Get the golem stuck in a narrow passageway and lob Skull Traps at it.... (How can you tell that I'm playing a Sorcerer!? ^_^)

15. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

as for adamantite,get him stuck in doorway,lob three lower resistance at him,best plus greatermalison before finger of death,isn't handy? ;)
    good intelligence better than good strengh. :)

16. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

heh, I like the lower-resistance attacks...

I once hit an admantite golem with 3 lower resistances in a spell trigger, then successfully used Flesh to stone on him! (Admantite to stone?)

The next fighter that hit him, smashed the guy to pieces.... beautiful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.