1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Silly lawsuits and consumer warnings

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Jan 6, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here:

( http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050106/ap_on_fe_st/wacky_warnings )

Hehe. Well, but it really is time to put an end to silly lawsuits. Some people give the impression they shouldn't be allowed out of their house for their own good and need rubber walls even in the house.

[ January 07, 2005, 04:42: Message edited by: chevalier ]

2. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My favourite was the chainsaw which had a warning which ran along the lines of, 'Do not attempt to stop with hands'.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    These are great. :lol:

It's just unfortunate that manufacturers have to go to such lengths.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

In my new job, I clean floors. In the washroom at the Gap where I was working this week, they have instructions on how to wash your hands...

5. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Midwinter - not only that, it read:
    "Do not try to stop with hands, legs or genitals"

Gnarfflinger - you're telling me! Here in EU, they introduced a standard for hands washing of people working in food factories! It's basically a step-by-step instruction, including the number of how many repetitions are needed!

6. chevalier

Media:
    Great. They could display one such instruction sheet in my university's gents.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

toughluck, you forgot not to stop it with teeth.

And I say what I've said before; the american lawsuits laws are stooopid.

8. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

It's bad enough that these lawsuits even make it to court, but the fact that some people win these cases is ridiculous! It makes a mockery of the whole judicial system.

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My favourite consumer warning is from Ansell condoms, on the instructions list:

9. Do not return used condoms to manufacturer.

Re: the chainsaw warning - :lol: Oh man, I haven't laughed like that since I dusted off "Wayne's World" last month.

10. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

When I was in high school, I worked at a restaurant. There were 3 or 4 signs in the kitchen that said "WARNING: KNIFE WILL CUT."

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LMAO! I just saw some of the past winners.

Example:
    :shake:

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

On a Tim Horton's Coffee/Cappucino/Hot Chocolate cup:

"Warning, contents are hot."

Umm, like I didn't know that when I ordered the Hot chocolate in the first place...

13. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You want dumb warnings, I'll give you dumb warnings: http://dumbwarnings.com/

On a Korean kitchen knife: "Warning: Keep out of children."

14. chevalier

Media:
    This is the best one. :D

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You'ld think given some of them, that the people who write the warnings are taking the mickey. Although, some of them aren't as silly as they seem. The Korean knife one is probably just a mistranslation of "Keep out of reach of children", and the "Warning: Hot!" is probably related to the McDonalds coffee case, where McDonalds was found to be serving their coffee 20 degrees farenheit above the standard temperature for coffee - and apparently that 20 degrees is the difference between going "Ooohyah!" and going to hospital.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Amazing. I had not thought you could use them that way and thus file a lawsuit. :D

17. Register Gems: 29/31

Yeah, I've always wondered about that. How the hell did they figure this one out?

Unless, the left mousebutton is actually F1. You know, a fouse.

That's the grand scheme of Microsoft.

18. chevalier

Media:
    IIRC the woman spilt the hot coffee on her lap. I don't believe anyone would be stupid enough to keep drinking something despite knowing it's too hot, let alone sue Mac for injury.

And drinking boiling coffee is no biggy. :rolleyes:

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Caleb

Way to go to figure that out, the error is thrown before even a Operating System is started.
    "Press F1" is just a standard text, there is no way communicating with the BIOS through a mouse, so it can only handle a keyboard.

@Chev, read the story, she placed the food from McD directly from the drive-in counter into her lap(where else?) and then her mother drove away to fast so it fell over..

20. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think there should be a "Spurious Lawsuit Protocol" instituted for stuff like this. It is applied to the plaintiff if the case is thrown out by a judge.

The proposed protocol will proceed as follows:

1. Smack plaintiff upside the head.
    2. If complaints persist, repeat procedure with increased force.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.