1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Opposite gender strip search poll

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Dec 9, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    This is in relation with the original strip search topic: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/20/1118.html

The poll serves to survey if the percentage of females objecting to being strip-searched by a male is higher than the percentage of males objecting to being strip-searched by females. (I.e. to check if women have or don't have more of a problem with the idea being strip-searched by a man than men have with the idea of being strip-searched by a woman)

The questions are of a private nature and you need to understand that you are by no means required to vote or comment. You can vote without commenting, or you can even see the current poll results without voting (if you select the "I don't want to vote" option). If you feel uncomfortable with the question, don't answer it (and don't flame me for raising it).

Please vote only in the section corresponding to your gender. If you are not of that gender, select the third option (I am ... or I don't want to vote).

Please comment only on the question or on the results and limit the original discussion to the original thread.

EDIT (NEEDED EDIT): If it says "if you are female", don't reply when in fact you're male. If it says "if you are male", don't reply if in reality you are female.

[ December 09, 2004, 02:12: Message edited by: chevalier ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Opposite gender strip search poll (30 votes.)

For ladies: Would you object to the searcher being male? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I object to being strip-searched by a man - 10% (3)
    * No, I don't object - 7% (2)
    * I am male or I don't want to answer - 83% (25)

For gents: Would you object to the searcher being female? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I object to being strip-searched by a woman - 17% (5)
    * No, I don't object - 70% (21)
    * I am female or I don't want to answer - 13% (4)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

To me, it's no different to when a doctor sees you. My doctor is a woman and it's no big deal.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't you really want to also ask whether the person objects MORE to being strip searched by one gender over the other. I obviously object to being strip searched by anyone. Thus, I would answer your poll that I object. I probably would object more to having a woman do it than a man, but that's not really in the question.

4. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Harbourboy - have you considered (at the very least) how long it takes and how arduous it is to become a doctor (or at least a physician)? It is usually no less than 6 years, 5 years being an exception in a technology (like lab technicians) related studies instead of medicinal. How long does it take to become a security guard on an airport? Usually no time at all, they just check your credentials, maybe give you a personality test and you're set - in places where you don't carry a gun, at least. If you do carry a firearm, it usually takes a two-month (at the longest) course to obtain permission (longer courses are aimed at specific purposes).
    Given that, what is the probability of having perverts slip through the net in a university? Very thin. And what is the chance that one would pass through the hoops to become a security guard? Almost 100%. And with flying colours, if I might add, because the perverts are usually very well prepared (if they wish to conceal themselves).

That argument aside, strip searches serve no particular purpose, nor any particular interest to the searched. When the same person goes to a doctor and s/he instructs them to undress, they view it as having a purpose - to be cured of an affliction. Furthermore, there is trust towards a doctor, especially if you have known him for a longer time, which is completely absent towards a security guard whom you see perhaps once in a lifetime, and after being treaded that way, the only way you'd like to see him again is on a trial, him being the defendant with a very slippery case.

I have asked my fiancee. She would object to being strip searched by a male. She would undress only if it served particular purpose, and it wouldn't matter to her if the searchee was a lesbian or hetero.
    To me it is a bit different. I would prefer to be searched by a male officer, unless he would seem far too eager, under which condition I would prefer someone else (still a male, though), and only as last resort would choose a female officer.

Oh, BTW, who are the two "women" who replied to the poll?
    One has chosen "I wouldn't object," and "I'm female," but the other one has chosen "I wouldn't object" to both questions (I am sure of that, because I answered I would object). As of now, the results are following:
    0; 2; 5;
    1; 5; 1.
    So somebody is screwing with the poll. Why? For purpose of keeping the argument alive???

5. chevalier

Media:
    @dmc:
    Indeed I don't ask if the person has any problem at all with a strip-search. Just if an opposite gender searcher would make more of a problem than a same gender officer. But this is all I need to ask. The post shows the rest.

@everyone:

Right now, the results are:

Female: 0, 2, 6
    Male: 1, 5, 2

One of the "I don't want to vote" votes in the male section is from me (I chose not to vote and just to see the results), so this leaves just one potential female in the poll per the male section record.

But the female section record shows two decidedly female options.

Means someone is both female and male. Argh. Please pay more attention, people. I really wouldn't like to think that someone is cheating.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My bad - It just made sense to me that you would want to weed out those people who disliked the strip search equally based on the gender of the searcher or perhaps make a separate "I object equally" response which would also serve to give you a statistic on whether men generally object more or less than women to the whole concept. Your poll, though.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    toughluck; I replied to the poll and said that I would not object to such an search.

Why? Because I could not care less if the person doing it was getting off on it or not. Because they simply do not matter.

I would not object to the gender of the searcher, but I might object to the reasoning behind the search and THAT is a totally different can of worms. But in the event of a search, the gender simply would not matter.

8. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I object to men strip-searching women, not because I find it more objectionable to be naked in front of a strange man than a strange woman, but simply because I think a lot more strip-searches are likely to happen that way. I have been harassed by guards at airports pulling me aside to ask me questions like whether I'm a natural blonde and whether I cheat on my husband, and you just know it's not a matter of national security - it's a matter of bored men livening up their work day by being crass to a pretty girl. If they'd had the power to make me take my clothes off too, I'm sure they would have done it.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For me, I pretty much am like dmc in that I find the entire idea behind being strip searched repulsive. However, given the assumption that I have done something that would require me to be strip searched, and that I would not be able to avoid it, I really don't think it would matter who would be doing the searching.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

This may sound sexist but depending on the woman I would rather be strip searched by a woman than by a man.

You are taking this a bit far are you not Chev? I read the article but in fact if there *has* to be stripsearching does it really matter who does it. Doesn't mean I like being stripsearched but if there is probably cause I encourage it. And if that person was male or female....we're all human (at least most fit into that catagory)

11. chevalier

Media:
    My intention in this poll is clearly stated:

I want to check which gender has more problems with opposite gender strip search.

I want it to be the most natural hypothetical situation possible. That's why there are no explanations, no reservations, no assumptions, nothing.

Just the idea of being strip-searched by man (if you're a woman): repulsive or not. If you're a man, the idea of being strip-searched by a woman: repulsive or not. This is all I need in the poll.

But feel free to discuss the results from any point of view you like.

@Apeman: Yes, I believe for most women it does matter if the officer is male or female. Doesn't mean being strip-searched by a female isn't repulsive, but the idea of being strip-searched by a guy is much more so. Which the poll is going to show. But we've already had at least one person voting in both pools. :rolleyes:

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As long as the girl strip searching me is gentle, I don't have a problem. I might even have me a strip search every day. If you are in a situation where you must be strip searched, give them a nice big dirty smile, really freaks them. It would be even better if they are the same sex.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.