1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scott Peterson found guilty of 2 murders!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, Scott Peterson was found guilty of the 1st degree murder of his wife, as well as 2nd degree murder of his unborn son.

All I have to say is: It's about freaking time! I really hope the jury decides that he should die for his crimes. Same goes for the Mark/Lori Hacking murder case.

Your thoughts? :rolling:

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not like I didn't see it coming... The news covered how guilty he was every night for 2 months.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Did it?

That's a serious question--I've stopped watching televised news shows.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Scott who? How about some info for us Non-USers.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

He did what? When? How?

6. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Wonder if the Jury found him guilty of the murders or just found him guilty of being a total jerk. Hope they give him life in prison in a six by twelve cell with a roommate named Bubba. My advice Scott...stock up on plenty of soap on a rope.

7. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This just backs up my theory that jury's do not understand reasonable doubt.Now I was not in the courtroom so I can only go on the evidence released to the public.From what I can see I can't beleive they got a conviction.
    They had absoluley no hard evidence on him.I think they proved he was not a great guy but in my mind they failed to prove he killed them.
    It also seems as if the judge manipulated the jury to get the verdict he wanted.This case is ripe for appeal.
    Let's be honest here is there anywhere in the United States he could have gotten a fair trial?

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

From what I have heard from this thread alone
    I don't think the trial would have been even remotely fair.

9. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

A quick summery for our friends oversees.

Peterson's wife and unborn son dissappeared.After some days of frantic searching her body washed ashore.

The investigation turned to Scott.They discoverd one of her hairs on his fishing boat.Her body washed ashore some 90 miles from where he was fishing on the day of she vanished.It was also uncovered that he was having an affair.

The affair become the central focus of all the news around here.The police taped hours of conversation between Scott and his lover.She tried to get him to confess,he never did.

They never found a murder weapon.They have no witnesses.A cause of death can not even be determined.Now this man may get the death penalty.

Now I am not saying he did not do it,he may have.All I am saying is they did not prove he did it.I think the media tried and convicted Scott Peterson,and that is a travesty of justice.

I am sure a quick google search would turn up many articles on this case,you could hardly get away from it here in the sates for some reason.

10. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

That's appaling. If the case is as Dorion described it, then there's no real case against this man whatsoever.

I presume that he can appeal this?

11. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

He can appeal. It won't be successfull - it will go to an appeals court, then, possibly, to the state's Supreme Court. If it goes all the way to the latter, it might have a chance, but likely not. Most state supreme courts are capable of distinguishing between evidence and circumstance, and this one seems to be mostly the latter. Hopefully they'll be able to appeal to a just court.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Who is this Peterson guy? After watching Fox :puke: I was under the impression that this guy was somekinda celebrity...

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm not a big fan of jury trials where the jury decides if the man has done it or not. If he has done it, a jury chosen from amongst the people is probably the right assembly to decide if he's to blame or not. But to evaluate evidence... I really would prefer a professional board of people for that.

If he knew his wife was pregnant and still killed her, he is rightfully guilty of two accounts of murder. If he didn't know, couldn't have known etc, then he shouldn't be made accountable for more than one murder, though.

Yeah, and let him have a pleasant stay with Bubba, as DHB says, if he's really done that.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Well, sounds like the American Public doesn't fully understand the clause of "beyond reasonable doubt". From all the evidence I have heard this man could never be convicted in a New Zealand court. The judge would constantly remind the jury that the prosecution must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused comitted the crime.

15. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Thank God I don't watch tv. Even so, I seem to have absorbed info on the case as if through the atmosphere. So, a few more salient points, IIRC:

1) At first, it was treated as a missing person case, and generated alot of media attention, with lots of public sympathy for Scott.

2) Scott knew his wife was pregnant (it was 8 months afterall); they had decided on the name "Connor." Also, somehow, the body of the child/fetus was found separately from that of the mother. And they washed up only a few miles (not 90) from where Scott had gone fishing.

3) When he fell under suspicion, Scott moved from SF to San Diego, where his parents lived; the police trailed him, afraid he would run to Mexico if he knew how close to being arrested he actually was.

4) The police had the woman he was having an affair with tape their phone calls; these calls, in addition to her testimony, make him out to be a chronic liar, at the very least.

Oh, come now. You're talking about the land of OJ. "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."

16. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

If there is an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence, ("preponderance of"), you can easily reach "beyond a reasonable doubt". The defense was so desperate on this one that they hired some guy and chick about the size of Scott and Lacy, and a boat identical to the one Scott owns, and tried to fool the jury by showing a video that "proved" he couldn't have thrown her out, that he would fall in, with her still in the boat. This is ridiculous, and it took about 24 hours for someone to do the same experiment and disprove it. Nevermind the fact that they were only showing him trying to push her over the side, it is a lot easier to toss something over the transom of a small boat. :rolleyes:

17. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

I agree circumstantional evidence can convict.I think you just need more than they have here.
    Yes they proved he was having an affair,they proved he was in the area the body washed ashore,but that is all they have.

There may have been testimony in the courtroom that I am not privy to that may have changed my mind,but from what I have read about the case it does not seem like it.

The fact that they cannot determine cause of death leaves open the question was there even a murder here.(I know this mat seem extreme but we are talking murder here not just of one person but a baby as well.)

Look as I have said I am not saying he is innocent,but the evedence here is to weak to convict.Show me something solid that links him to the crime I will take anything.

[ November 14, 2004, 23:23: Message edited by: Dorion Blackstar ]

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This guy is a nasty piece of work. He needs either the chair, lethal injection or to be put in a room with no windows and lots of gas. Although I can't agree on 2nd degree murder of an unborn child. The line becomes way too blurry here.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Even if he didn't murder anyone?
    In New Zealand you can't convict someone purly on circumstancial evidence. If you prove someone is a lier (what the prosecution did) it doesn't suddenly mean they are lying about not being guilty. Me? I lie sometimes, therefore I'm a lier, therefore I'm guilty of any crime I'm accused of - at least according to the US justice system. There has been no hard evidence that Peterson actually killed his wife and unborn child. There is only a high probability that he did so - therefore there is DOUBT and it's very resonable considering all the evidence is circumstancial.

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@ Abomination

That's the problem with our justice system. You could get away with anything.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.