1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How Sick Can "People" Be?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Jul 5, 2004.

1. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Fire! It can be so tempting... and once in a while an idiot crosses the line...Not hurting it self but hurting others....

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Tell me which animals kill for sport or just for fun-cruelty? And I'm talking about animals living in the wild without influence of human behaviour.

I for one can't think of any, and I think that animals behave purely out of instinct.

Tell me why an animal would put firecrackers or something equivelant inside their kins or enemies mouths. Animals don't do that, humans does and that's not called instinct that is called idiocity.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm moving this to AoDA, for obvious reasons.

Btw,

Then you sure as hell weren't looking in AoDA and Whatnots. There was PLENTY of both posted.

Comparing torture and mutilation of animals to bug-swatting is hardly fair. I, for one, try not to kill even insects if I can help it. If they get into the house, and can be moved out, I'll let them climb on a piece of paper and take them out. When I can't, I'll kill them, yes, but I won't do it by capturing them, and then tearing every limb from their body one by one, and enjoy it. I'll grant them a swift and immediate death, and not because I just happened to think it was a good time to go kill some insects, but because if I don't, I risk them biting me.

While puppies have the added advantage of being cute, I would be 100% equally outraged if someone did this to ravens or pigs, as mentioned. ANY animal torture for the reason "simply because I could", or even worse, "because I enjoy it" is abominable. It shows that the person doing it is on a lower level than the majority of animals, let alone other human beings. Of course, most children will "inhert" the attitude to animals from their parents, and if the parents are indifferent or even sympathetic when it comes to cruelty to animals, you can't expect their children to be any better.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

About animals tormenting other animals.
    I'll take wolves as an example.
    They exhaust their prey, even if they could kill it sooner without keeping it in such fear. The wolves are sure to enjoy the process as much as the result. But if we look that more closely, the whole "cruelty" of theirs may be yet another survival mechanism. Dangerous beasts are so much easier to kill once they're dead-tired, so the desire to run the prey until it collapses is just another hunting technique. It is cruel, but it server the purpose of hunting the most with as few casualities not for the pleasure of it and thats the big difference.

Then there's the eating part. I know that if they're not hungry enough, they'll just rip it's belly and eat the entrails. What i'm not sure of is whether the animal is still alive when they're eating it and even after. I'd think it is.
    So, that's cruel as well. But it isnt intentional and the animal doesnt say to itself "Yea, i just love to hear the moaning sounds of a deer while i'm chewing its guts". Those kids or whoever does that to animals does know it's hurting them.

In any case, i dont recall an animal that would kill for sport only. That is, hunting down the animal and slowly torture it only not to eat it in the end. There may have been times when there was too much prey for a certain type of a predator. In such a time, i suppose it has happened that one of that predator species would hunt down more than he needed and only eaten the best parts, if that at all. But on a wide scale that couldnt last long, it simply couldnt. If that species had that much to eat, it would multiply until there wasnt too much food anymore, then the prey species would be reduced and the predatore species would in turn be reduced to a more normal amount as well.
    In any case, the balance would not allow it.

There's no denying every human has a cruel streak inside him. If we were living as we once have, meaning hunting and fighting to survive, we'd need it. As we're living now though, we dont need it for survival (rivalry yes) and when someone expresses it like in this case it's abominable. It is simply not needed.

I do also belive i'd be equaly angered if this monstrocity would happen to another animal. Just about any animal would be helpless. For me it's not as much the question of being cute or nor, more of being aware of what they're doing, the target being helpless or not and the reason&means of doing so.

If this was done to human babies. Hmm, i dont think i can explain exactly why i wouldnt be as upset as when this happens to animals. They're equaly innocent and defenceless themselves. They do have adults who're supposed to take care of them though.
    It may be just because i've lost just about any respect for the moral of the humans. The thinking mind gives us freedom to experiment in any way we can think of. I wonder why do we still get upset about anything then? Why do we not just allow everything as long as it does not endanger yourself and just yourself. We do love those that are close to us, that's obvious, so we fear to lose them. Yet when something happens to the people on the other side of the globe, some of us start discussing how mostrous it is. Why should we care, we dont know them, we've never seen them, we have nothing in common except for the physical characteristics.

Bah, i'm way off topic, if anyone finds anything eligable in this mess, i'll congratulate him. And maybe i should just start another topic about this.
    It would probably be better if i didnt post this at all, since it has but little to do with the topic, but may get someone thinking, so i'll just post it. If i'd start editing, it would only get even more messy, so i rather wont. :alien:

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd be just as pissed if it was any other kind of animal (except mosquitoes, when I'm near them, it's like I have a bullseye painted on my back :p ).

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    While I am equally offended at the puppy aspect of this, to deal with the off topic "which animals are cruel for sport," I remember reading something in National Geographic (I think) that said that minks, stoats, polecats, and that whole family of critters killed for sport and would often kill things they could not eat. I'll see if I can find some backup for that a little later after work.

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm pretty appalled at this nastiness too...and I think that each and every one of those losers should submit to the same treatment they put those puppies through.

And as for animals killing for sport. Well, I've found that my cat does this sometimes. More than once have I found a dead and slightly mutilated mouse lying around my back or front yards. I've even actually seen my cat when he was tormenting one of these mice. I don't know if he ends up eating them or not; but he certainly toys with them much more than is necessary before finally killing them. And considering that this cat is upwards of 20lbs, and fed on a regular basis; there's absolutely no call for him to kill mice for food. I'm no animal psycologist, but I'm pretty sure this qualifies as some sort of animal sadism...I could be wrong of course.

8. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I agree this world is FAR from perfect. BUT... for some reason we have brains, and therefore developed the ideas of morals, law and justice.

You only need to see what happens when law is broken and we "let hell loose" in Irak, Chechenia, Colombia, etc.

This ideas were in place to prevent what you can obviously and rightfully state as a plain F**K.

That's why we have law and order, or else...

Though is "only" puppies (and if I happened to be in a position to do something... appropriate... to those ******** I most certainly would); the most worrying aspects are:

1.- What's next (as someone hinted earlier) babies, your brother, mother just for fun... or were they rude to you and a sorry is not enough? Oh... and later... your block (at neighbourhood), then your school, etc?... And next what?...

2.- Those poor pyros... in trial (IF they ever have one) the lawyers will say... "Look at these babies, so innocent that their parents and a faulty gene have the fault! And those stupid puppies... Why do they conspired to keep themselves in a perfect torture position?!"... I'm innocent! I'm NOT a man responsible for my actions and I need mommy to change my diapers when things go poo! So to feel macho I killed everything I can think of! It's true I swear!...Now you see a true family man, honorable person and future worthy member of society in those big cute criminal eyes! (Not to mention the good intro your criminal and psychiatric files are in your curriculum or at a high society event!)

3.- When is someone going to put a stop to it? At the rate things are deranging you wouldn't wonder if it was broadcast on live TV (after all, rating matters, nothing else). Or some jerk trying to make a role model of the bastards?

Or better... Let's all have revenge and unleash an endless rampage until every last one of those are dead? And so do they, after all, a massacre is in order and butchery is so "cool" on the trigger side. Just "pray and spray"!. After all, words are for sissies, bullets are for men and you wanna impress those hotties in bikinis waitin' for ya at home with a sixpack and in the mood. Aint it?...

It's so fun to release the psyco we all have inside! Not to mention it's a wonder-cure for stress and it works best at dating.

I guess everytime I think of mankind... I think less of it. And you wonder why?

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Actually they inherited that from their family the lion and tiger. I ofter see big cat diary on animal planet where the cubs of those animals get a small animal (rabbit etc) to practice for the hunt. It's an essential part of the growing up for such a cub. With your average house cat I think it is more of the same but because we feed our cats they don't think it's neccessary to eat them, cats behave this way through human influence. Believe me a wild cat would gobble that mouse down within seconds.

10. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well this is a trait the cats have gained from living with humans. They were being used to prevent rats from getting in the houses and eat the stocks. So which was the way to show that they were doing their job? They killed the rat and left the body for evidence that they were performing their duties. My best friends cat is doing the same. It rips of their head or another part as a snack but the rest of their body is being left in front of the door or in the entrance of his garden. It can be also used as a scarecrow for the rats. They smell their dead companion and know that in that house there is a dangerous enemy a cat.
    As for the kids, they have serious problems in their brains and the lack of hardships in their lives hve made them think that they can do whatever they wish like gods. Well if they go to a prison (a youth prison) they will learn how awfull feels to be the weak guy in a room full of guys which haven't seen a woman for a long long time. I think this will give them a hard but well earned lesson for respect.

11. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

FYI,

Someone who knows I am from Tulsa IM'd me to ask if I knew any additional details on this story.

Not to let the facts get in the way of the moral outrage, but the alleged abused puppies were never actually discovered, and have never been found. The kids who burned to labrador have been caught and confessed to the abuse of the lab, but deny any abuse of puppies.

Two Teens Confess To Burning Dog

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, hopefully the original story does turn out to be false. But I make no apologies for my reaction to it, nor should anyone else who felt the same way.

And it's not as though setting a dog on fire is any less despicable.

13. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

When children are abused and/or emotionally and physically overpowered, they often take those frustrations out on creatures whom they feel they have complete control over. Hardship and abuse might prove to be the cause of their actions.

As for comparing torturing dogs and killing bugs... It's a bit difficult to get a fly to curl up on your lap or lick you when they're happy.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Btw, a case exactly like this happened here about 2 years ago, only the brats did it to cats and kittens. It was in all the newspapers, and there was a lot of justified public outrage.

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Worse things happen to human beings every minute of every day

16. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think you confused the meaning i gave to the word hardship. I did not mean physical or phycological abuse, i meant the real problem of finding the needed to live or get by at least. To tell you the truth i strongly believe that these kids are giving a hard time to their parents with their actions (not only this one). And secondly i have never seen kids who are being abused, be cruel to animals. And i have met some.
    Furthermore can you please define abuse? Would a spank of the father on his kid for doing a mischief is classified as an abuse for you?

17. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Maybe I still don't understand what you mean by hardship.

My point was only that when children exhibit lack of care or concern for another creature, it's mostly because they themselves are not cared for or concerned about. There are way to many scenarios that can describe a situation like this, and a father simply spanking a child is not one of them. I have known adults who have been physically and emotionally abused as children, who, to this very day continue to delight in the petty torments of others.. as well as tell stories of their childhood where they would throw cats in a baler to watch them be minced. A list of their other infractions in life, which by the way is quite violent.. would only reiterate what I've already said.

I don't mean for abuse to be the sole reason for their actions. I also don't expect all abused children/people to behave in such a manner. But when you look at adults and crimes that they commit, such as rape or perhaps domestic violence... it is evident that that person is satisfying some sort of power struggle over the victim. If abused as children, you might find that many of them behaved in the same manner that those kids have. So, in addition to punishment, they should also try to find out exactly why a child would do what they have done. I Hope that explains it.

[ July 08, 2004, 21:36: Message edited by: Xenecor ]

18. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

I hope the puppy thing turns out to be a hoax.
    I also hope that someone captures those kids and pours lighter fluid all over them, then sets them on fire.
    :flaming:
    An eye for an eye, I say.

19. Taluntain

Media:
  20. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

@Tal: Thanks, it was an interesting article.

However, I think that no matter how bad your parents are, you are still responsible for your own actions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.