1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strongest Character?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Vulpecula Equuleus, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Vulpecula Equuleus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just Asking opinions, really. I know everyone has their own about the best Character, and thats what I would like to hear. Here's one of my best so far. I went with an elven fighter/mage, that's starting from BGI and TOSC. Now late into SOA this character can, with the right spell protections, go into anything and come out unscathed. It's almost unfair, almost to powerful. What the hell, it's fun though.

[ April 05, 2005, 19:12: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The strongest character I've played is a human Ranger/Cleric. Not so tough early on but an amazing tank with great spells as well as melee after leveling a little.

[ March 27, 2005, 20:15: Message edited by: Isshy ]

3. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

A Kensai-Thief, when his fighter abilities return. I'd say sorcerer, but Kensai-Thief is stronger, IMO. :(

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Human Kensai[13]/Thief[x] - GM in any weapon of your choice and x5 backstab takes care of any one charecter except bosses and dragons.
    Elven Ranger[x]/Cleric[x] - All the devine spells at your disposal and awsome THAC0.
    Elven Archer - Just make sure the enemies are targeting some poor tank and watch them falling like flies.

5. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Human Berserker-Grand Master in long sword and *** to 2 weapon style.He can kill everything which doesn't have spell protections.With a mage casting breach,he can kill everyone in the game(dragons,pit fiends,balors,golems...)
    Elven sorcerer is the second powerful character at high levels

6. Donkey Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think that the strongest character in the Game is...Minsc!!! :D
    I play a fighter/mage too now!!!
    With cloak of mirroring,boots of speed, the Equalizer and some protective spells (Stoneskin,mirror image,fireshield)he can take every moster in SoA (except clay golems)
    Also,I belive that a Ranger/Cleric is awesome too!!!
    Of course all depends if you are playing good or evil!!!

7. Vulpecula Equuleus Gems: 1/31

Cloak of Mirroring and Boots of speed are great. I also have him dual wielding Celestial Fury and Equalizer You can add a point to Flail and those Clay Golems fall to the Flail of Ages. Those protective spells are great (Minor Spell Sequencer with Blur and Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Spell Immunity, Spell Shield etc...). This equals one buffed up, badass, villian killing, God Spawn. Have not tried a Ranger/Cleric yet, maybe I'll try that build next.

8. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] In my opinion the blade character is the most powerful of all characters. Here are my reasons why.
    1. Mage spells (stoneskin, invisibility, ect.), some thief abilities, good TACHO
    2. Defensive spin (10 times better with ring of free movement) and offensive spin. So depending on ur situation u can go stricktly offensive and dish out some mad damage, or go defensive and get your armor class crazy low, around -15 with the elven chain mail that lets you cast magic.
    3. Add a boot of speed and a belt of strength, and top that off with dual wielding 2 powerful swords. Then add a ring of free movement and Protection/Earth elemental ring (-1 to AC even if your wearing magical armor) add a stone for a helmet and that nice necklace you get from the shadow thiefs when u help them. Thats when u get pure sick power.
    4. Best as a solo character but does alright in a team with bards songs (useless when solo obviously)

So try it out before anything, and there are a lot more things about a bard but its been 2 years since i played BG2

9. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

There isn't any powerfull charters !!! The Charters are balanced !!! If there is more powerfull charter all of you will play with him !!! Every charter have their abilities and their weekness !!!

10. Vulpecula Equuleus Gems: 1/31

Better go back and play some more. Without the Solaufein Module you can build an extremely unbalanced character.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Are you talking about a multi-class? Is that possible? :confused:

12. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Nope, only half-elves can multiclass.

13. Donkey Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@ Darkstrike:

Until u get that Elven chain mail you are refering to SoA will be neat the end (after u kill the dragon that "guards" Jonaleth)...So Blade it's not an option yet though you can combine his bard song with the one of Hear'Daelis!!!! ;)

14. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Arch_Cursed_Enemy:
    So you're saying every characther class is equally powerful? That's wrong. A few examples:
    Cleric vs. Priest of Helm:
    The Priest of Helm has _all_ the abilities of the vanilla cleric. In addition he can cast True Sight once/"day"/five levels and Seeking Sword once/"day"/ten levels so clearly he is more powerful than a vanilla cleric.
    Kensai/mage:
    The weaknesses of the kensai and the mage overlap (more or less) which means that the kensai/mage gains the powers from _both_ classes without suffering any additional penalties. Again, the kensai/mage is a more powerful class compared to a single class mage or kensai (and almost anything else).

Furthermore, I don't agree with the claim that you necessarily would want to play with the most powerful class - the most powerful class isn't by definition the most fun. And these boards have plenty of threads discussing different ways to restrict a class/gameplay in order to get new challenges - and more fun.

@ Donkey:
    He could be referring to the Melodic Chain +3 which is almost as good, although I can't remember if the item description actually refers to it as "elven chain".

[ March 28, 2005, 17:08: Message edited by: Victor Eremita ]

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Half Elf Cleric/Ranger, definitely the best, can cast both Cleric and Druid spells.
    The only restriction is the limitation with weapons which is not that bad really since you can get your hands on some pretty nice hammers and flails (e.g. dual wielding Crom Fayr and Flail of the Ages).

16. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31

@ Donkey:

Up until then if you use the Robe of Vecna your sickly powerful because u can get off a spell super quick and run in and melee before most mage/clerics/druids can get much done!
    Forgot about the Melodic Chain which is really good besides the spell casting restriction!

17. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You were talking about a Blade, right? They can't use the Robe of Vecna. Also, maybe I'm misreading your post but there isn't a spell casting restriction on the Melodic Chain (IIRC).

[ March 28, 2005, 22:30: Message edited by: Victor Eremita ]

18. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Inquisitor!

19. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31

@ Victor Eremita
    Are you shure the blade cant use the robe of vecna..... i know i wore it but that might have been after i got my [snip]. When you solo a blade you'll level way to quick! Got level 20 before i even rescued imoen. Its been 2 years since i played this so ur probably right about the melodic Chain.

[ToB content removed.] -Tal

[ March 29, 2005, 01:01: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are no HLAs in SoA without ToB (so the robe is out). But there are at least a couple of places you can pick up elven chain. But why even use that when the Bracers AC3 are available from Ribald.

I tend to agree with Xei: this game was made with Paladins in mind. All the Paladin kits are extremely overpowered after Carsomyr.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.