1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Michael Jackson and Pedophiles

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Register, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Now, on what godforsaken and obscure places on this earth do they still have juries ?

But that's pretty problematic. When a listed person moves near you, your immobilia loses worth. Where should those listed persons live ? If you've done your time in jail, shouldn't you be free to move again, without notifying anyone ?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not if you are a paedophile

3. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

*Strongly agrees with Sarevok*

4. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31

I dont like pedophiles. But I cant help but to feel sorry them either. What if you are married and have kids and all and suddenly you feel that you are sexually attracted to your own kids?
    Not that that would happen, but still. Imagine what they must feel like. I would be so disgusted with myself I would commit suicide.
    If there is a way of rehabilitation, then I would vote for that.
    Now if a pedophile *did* anything to a child, I think he/she should be sentenced to jail, just like any other person. Thats just as much harrassing as if the child was grown up.

5. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I can't believe I'm going to do this. Sigh.

Listen, I'm going to some of you in on a little secret: Pedophlies are human too. In many cases, these are not evil people, they just have an unfortunate mixture of sickness and weakness-- they have a sexual attraction towards children and cannot resist the urge to act on that attraction. This is obviously an abhorrent crime, but let me throw out an open question: how is this worse then rapists, murderers, or even sexual harassment perpetrators? A sexual harrassment case has a great many similarities to a child molestation case; the perpetrator, usually male (as far as I know) uses some sort of power over the victim to force sexual favors out of that victim. Does the fact that the victim in this case is an adult make the crime more forgivable? Of course not; to percieve children as "more innocent" unconsciously depicts victims of other crimes as "less innocent", which is ridiculous. People are protective of their children, which leads people to demonize pedophiles far more then perpetrators of other crimes (in fact, the serial killer is being romanticized quite a bit, see Lecter, Hannibal), and this is not right. Rape is as awful a crime as any. And what crime is worse then murder?

To continue on with this line of thinking, those of you who (ignorantly) proclaim that pedophiles should be punished to a different extent then criminals of a similar nature, I ask: so what is your solution to rapists or murderers, or theives or hate criminals? Do we excecute them all nazi-style, like you would have us to to pedophilles? Should any violation of society's rules result in maiming or death? I don't believe so. I believe in rehabilitation; many criminals are, at their core, not evil people. A single indiscretion should not be the end of a person's life, especially when that person could be helped. It IS possible for many criminals to pay their debt to society, and not be a further danger to others. Of course, I'm not naive, and this is not possible for everybody, but I believet those to be the vocal minority. Now, I do believe that some repeat offenders should be dealt with approprately, and that some completely psychotic people are beyond any hope of treatment. But the idea that we, as a society, should execute everybody who violates our norms is simply barbaric.

To answer Caleb's original question, I don't believe that contempt for Michael Jackson stems from his fame combined with this alleged crime, it's the crime itself (and his strange, almost legally insane personality). People are emotionally attatched to their children in a very protective way, and thus have incredible loathing for those who seemingly lack this same feeling towards their own children. I feel the same way; defending pedophiles isn't exactly giving me a warm tingly feeling inside, but the legal system should do its best to detatch itself from emotion and focus on objectively assessing the crime and the extent and form of punishment.

Such a statement is irrelevant. If somebody raped my mother, I'd feel about the same way towards rapists. If I was black, I'd feel the same way towards the KKK. I'm sure Jews don't exactly approve of neo-naziism. But you know what? Some people are big enough to actually forgive those who have trangressed against them. Maybe you can't understand that in your blatant ignorance (I'm thinking either your posts were pretty tongue-in-cheek or your sister really WAS molested, either way I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) but there are those who are able to forgive people who have hurt them. But even if you're right, it's not the victims who decide punishment, it's the courts, and they should not be ruled by emotion, but by reason. Justice is supposed to be blind, after all.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Nazi style

People jesus, it is not spelt pedophile, it is spelt paedophile.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, both spellings are correct. Paedophile is BrE, and pedophile is AmE.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Shaz -- As to your comparison of adult sexual harassers and pedophiles:

I disagree with your rationale here. An adult victim has the choice to leave the situation usually, whether it be the office or even the home. Child victims frequently have no such choice. I've read accounts of these crimes being committed against children as young as 2 and 3 years old -- how are they expected to correct the situation?? Especially if it's a parent that's the offender?? Where are they supposed to go?? This, in and of itself, makes them by far the more helpless.... and hence, the more innocent. I think it's different situations that can't be compared.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31

I don't understand that. So, if you are over 18 and get raped, that's because it was your choice ? Or if you are shot, drowend, strangled, beaten, robbed etc., usually you would have been able to leave the situation ? Well, there could be situations, where a victim could have avoided the situation, but then I can think of many situations where escape or avoiding the situation is just impossible.

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Iago -- A child cannot avoid ANY situation -- that was my point. A 2 or 3 year old is helpless to the whims of any adult nearby. An 18 or 19 year old can use experience to perhaps avoid potential "situations" to begin with....and even in the cases where that's not possible, can use his or her wits sometimes to lessen the bad outcomes. IMO, there is NO comparison between the two. One is TOTALLY helpless, the other has a well-formed brain capable of logical thought and decision. Apples and oranges.

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

You know, just to play the Devil's Advocate...

Maybe it is the children's fault for being so darn sexy...

Hey, all I am saying is that if you wear over-alls with a flap specifically placed over your butt...your kinda asking for it.

It's time we let Micheal go free and start locking up these lascivious cherubs...

12. Iago Gems: 24/31

That's where I differ. I think the equatation is helpless victim/helpless victim. A small child is generally helpless, but an adult can come into a situation, where wits, brains and experience won't help, being helpless and defenceless, easy prey. And that situation may be not self provoked and not avoidable.

But coming back to the list. If it is so, that most children are victimized by people close to them, good family friends, parents, relatives, what is the use of a public list with people who are knwon to be paedophile, when the people that pose a far greater threat aren't on that list anyway ?

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I beliive the only rehab for ALL criminals should be pain assosiaction stuff ie. you steal, we'll shock your balls.

Either that, or Chinese Revolutionary styled show trials, incredibly humiliating and damaging.

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Line them up against a wall and shoot them, then people will think twice.

15. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I would classify pedophilia alongside drug addiction. Drugs addicts and pedophiles are not criminals, exactly, but rather people with psychiatric ailments that cause them to commit crimes. That is to say that a sex offender who molests children was a pedophile BEFORE he ever commits an act of molestation. If we as a society can identify the warning signs we can help.

NOW, I am by no means saying that the crimes committed should be punished. They absolutely should. A sex offender should be placed in a prison with psychiatric resources. I am just saying that not every pedophile commits sex crimes, just like not every drunk driver kills someone on the road. But the longer a pedophile is untreated, the more likely they are to commit a crime. As like the longer some one drives drunk regularly, the more likely they are to commit vehicular manslaughter.

As long as we continue with the trend of reactionary strategies to deal with pedophilia, the crimes will never cease. We need proactive solutions; we need to apply treatment to individuals before they commit the unthinkable. Because, there are ALWAYS warning signs. It is up to the family and freinds of a pedophile, to identify the warning signs and nip them in the bud, or, they can continue the trend of turning a blind eye to the warning signs, for reasons of shame and pride.

Also: I have read numerous posts stating "you cannot rehabilitate a pedophile" It may very well be true that the pedophiliac urges will never dissapear. However, they can be rehabilitated in that they will no longer committ crimes, no longer act on the urges. ESPECIALLY if they are treated before they ever commit an act.

16. Commandante Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

peadophilia is a mental illness, and it could proberly be cured if people let other people have a chance, it just becomes a viscous circle otherwise.

17. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] Damn you! (jk ;) )

Michael Jackson isn't guilty. Can't you see?
    I don't like his music (at all), but people are misjudging him because of some stupid tv interview by some ****er who wanted to screw him over. Maybe he is, but I'm nearly copnvinced of him not being guilty.

18. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

IMO, it is a mental illness in the same way rape is, and its impact leaves lifelong scars. Children generally do NOT recover - they are forever changed, with one of their hallmarks being the inability to trust people. I say never mind the rehabilitation - put the bastards someplace where they'll never, EVER, do it again.

19. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

He should have been arrested for his dangling-the-babe-out-of-the-window stunt if for nothing else. If that isn't child abuse, I don't know what is.

20. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

It needs to be said (or re-iterated) that there is a difference between a pedophile and a sex offender. A pedophile is someone who has sexual thoughts about minors. A sex offender is someone who acts on those sexual thoughts, or who commits other sex crimes such as rape.

Not all pedophiles are sex offenders of course. Some have enought restraint, or fear, or shame to reign in their deviant impulses. Others do not.

Thus, it is not, and can never be, illegal to be a pedophile. Save the instutution of some Orwellian-like thought police. A sex offender, however, must be punished, as an example to other would-be sex offenders.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.