1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who are you?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by joacqin, Apr 5, 2004.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmmm.... I'm mellowing. +4.25, - 2.67

Last time I took this poorly worded and ill-conceived "test" I was something like +5.5, -2.5. What happened? :eek:

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Looking at your results you probably went from strongly agree/disagree on something to just disagree/agree or something. You got pretty much the same results.

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This looks very familiar: -3.75/-4.31.

Well, if we are all Dalai Lama / Nelson Mandella type people, it can't be all bad?

Seems a little too arbitrary in terms of the questions as has allready been commented. Particularly some of the economics questions were far too polarised. Had they been more moderately styled I think a lot of us would have ended up further to the right in terms of economics at least.

4. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Economic Left/Right -6.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian 0.21

Dead on the line far left, Not far from Ghandi and Nelson Mandela. Right where I thought I would be. (I am an individualist)

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

-2, -.1

hrm. used to be muuuch closer to gandhi :/

6. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Left liberatorian

Hmm, I felt the test was a bit "If you don't want multi-national companies and rich people generally, to get richer and richer and allow companies to pollute te enviorment, then your a leftie!"

Not that I mind beeing a "leftie" it is what I am, just not so extreme, but I thought it was a bad test.

[ August 05, 2004, 13:01: Message edited by: Gregor McGrum ]

7. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

Hmmmmmmmmm......

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Economic Left/Right: -2.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.36

The closest person to me is the Dalai Lama - not bad company if I do say so myself!

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Economic Left/Right: -0.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.90
    I'm close to Pope John Paul II... I'm agnostic too. How odd.

10. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Nelson Mandela/Dalai Lama here.

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Though I wish there was a middle in that survey. Some of the questions were a little vague I found.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Economic Left/Right: -3.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

I agree that the test is vague. Also, anything like this a +/- error range which I did not see mentioned.

:edited - typing errors.:

[ August 05, 2004, 16:03: Message edited by: Nakia Nightshadow ]

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Have to agree with the criticisms made of this test - not only are the question ratios heavily biased towards political-economic matters, but they are extremely vague in a lot of ways. There's never enough depth to answer questions "as you'd like", but there isn't enough room to maneuver in a four-point scale. The questions need to be blunt and direct, with no room for misinterpretation. I think Chev's point about the majority of us being young is relevant, but the questionnaire is not particularly well-designed in the first place.

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
    Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69

...which makes me Gandhi-esque. This seems odd, considering that the thesis I'm writing is primarily about neo-liberal governance in advanced capitalism and the techniques necessary to sustain it. Sure, I don't believe in the right of the almighty dollar, but I have a real problem with the use of the word "rights" as they apply to ANYTHING. My view of the duties and obligations of anyone living in a capitalist democracy are quite clear; you and the State have a working relationship. Beyond that is your business. Two words, people: mutual obligation.

The state (ie: society) should look out for your mutual interests, such as helping you to be employed, have enough to eat, protect you from crime, et cetera. In return, you should work, pay taxes and abide by the rules. Above all else, the rights of the individual are paramount, but those rights are contingent on the observance of basic standards of conduct (mainly respect for others). If you don't do that, you forfeit some of your entitlements. Go far enough, and you lose the most basic of them - freedom. If the state screws up at its job, then it should be accountable as well (an example being compensation programs for crime victims). So long as you do that, though, the state should just keep its attention on its task (running the nation) and leave you be. The heterogeneity of society will keep it together (or cultural/religious beliefs, in a less diverse society); there is no need for excessive regulation outside of some relevant industries. Authority should not be directly exercised except when absolutely necessary and fully justifiable; control can be exerted through much more sophisticated, participatory methods and work beautifully. At least, it does in this country, if you're white, middle-class, male and heterosexual, like I am - I can't claim to speak for everybody. Everyone is bound in to the system, and because they have freedom at the end of the day, people are happy - they are expected to conform to a standard, beyond which they are (or should be) unfettered by interventions in their private business.

Which of course is one of the reasons why policing of domestic violence is so difficult, but that's a completely different topic.

(steps down, dusts off soapbox)

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm with all the other critics about this test. I could actually feel some questions pulling me to strongly agree or at least agree. Some statements were so general that to disagree would defy common sense. It's like saying "water is wet" and you have four choices of agreement whereas you'd rather say "well, I guess so."

And as for my results, if they mean anything, they are:
    -4 economic, -1 social.
    Somehow landed on integer values. :D

(omg I just realized I forgot all the rules of punctuation with quotes, commas and capitals when I wrote up this reply. :aaa: )

14. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Economic Left/Right: -4.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.74

Is that good? :rolleyes:

15. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Economic Left/Right: -3.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38 (this line makes me happy!)

ahh...u know...I iz just another one a' those Dalai Lama thinkalikes... not that I mind, anyways :) :) :)

16. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Economic Left/Right: -1.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.82

Eh. This seems a bit off.

17. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Economic Left/Right: -8.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Hyuck, I'm super liberal. I got fairly close to Gandhi and Nelson Mandela.

18. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69

Seems about right.

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.72

Not realy near anyone..

20. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, i did not take the test, but i know who i am.
    I am against the further spreading and multiplying of mankind, we are just sickening this planet.
    Pollution, heat up, etc, etc.
    And i see the HIV-Virus as a good thing too make sure there are not too many people anymore.
    Well, i am almost a anti-globalist.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.