1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Terror acts in Spain

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Baronius, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I suppose everyone has heard about the terror acts in Madrid (13 explosions in trains: 186 victims AFAIK, more than 1000 wounded). The government blames ETA but most experts doubt that because 1. there was not a warning, 2. ETA usually does not attack civils. Spain had units in Iraq, so that might be one reason for Al-Queda.

I also think it must be Al-Queda, but of course it is hard to decide it, since we learn info from media and press, so do not see into it. They are examining it of course, so more details should be up soon.

2. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, let's wait and see. There is a good chance it is the Separatists, and according to the Spanish Foreign Minister Ana Palacio, this is the kind of thing they do and they've been expecting a major attack from them for some time.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    ETA has repeatedly attacked civilians, and seemingly it continues to do so.

They basque separatists are about the most moronic terrorists in europe: They have an autonomous region, are allowed to speak basque, their local language - all that. And despite that, they have a terrorist movement that wants more - independence of a state that would be unable to survive economically.
    Highly fanatic, brutal and dedicated people. And very successful narco trafficers too. Of course, to finance their cause only.

Likely it is in context of the coming elections in Spain. IIRC more moderate basques want a more compromising course and accept that autonomy is enough. The hardliners don't want that.

Bombing the spanish gvt into a hard line again would give a opportunity to argue, referring to a harsh spanish raction, that the moderates have failed and so try take away their support. That is, an iron fisted spanish response would generate support for ETA by alienating basques yet supportive for a compromise.

The bombing is a sign of desperation in face of a coming loss of political weight - nothing hurts more than a hurt ego and unfulfilled ambitions: When people don't talk about you and leave you out of the loop because they know that you're frankly a crackpot fanatic and petty criminal - then that fanatic has to use force to get the attention he wants. Hundreds of dead and nearly a thousand wounded are hard to ignore.

That's the logic of terroism. It works the same in Northern Ireland, Palestine, Chechnya and Iraq.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I doubt that it was ETA. That would be a change and growth for them which would be surprising to me. I think it was someone else.

That's just plain sick.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Here's an article - suggest ETA is NOT the culprits.

Latest News

6. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think at this time any opinion on the perpetrators is mere guessing - throwing darts in the dark.

All anyone can really do at this point, is give your sympathy for the families of the deceased, the injured, and more generally for the people of Spain. Having come to know a number of September 11 families, all I know is that I don't really know what it is like for the victims, their families, and those left to wonder at this time whether their loved one is alive.

My condolences as hollow as those seem.

7. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

All i can say is that i really feel sorry for the people that died and for their families, which much now must overcome the shock of their sudden and violent death.
    As for which terrorist organization is responsible, is a little early and IMHO a little premature to start pointing fingers without any solid evidence.
    But this was a ruthless act

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    An interesting article:
    http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040311-112725-1601r

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If the US kept there nose out of things that didn’t concern them in the first place then none of this would have happened. This unfortunately will go on for years and years and years, just like the IRA.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No.

If the people responsible for this bombing had never carried out the bombing, THEN none of this would have happened. They made the choice to carry out the action

Blaming one past wrong for another subsequent wrong is no way to go, surely.

11. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

It's the stuff wars are started over.

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i heard from a rumor that the Olympics is going to be held in Greece later this year....

Chinese always say "what gone is gone already", look into the future.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Exactly. But people choose to start wars because they think that two wrongs make a right and that they have to 'get even'. As long as people think like that, there will always be wars because how can the cycle ever end?

14. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ha! This was officially made known some years ago! And you only heard a rumor...
    IMHO there wont be any terrorist attacks in the Olympic Games... at least I hope there wont be.

Anyway, to get back to the topic:
    This was a hideous act of terror... 192 innocent people died, 500 (I think) injured... The ones who did it are monsters. I don't care about who did it, I don't care if it was ETA or Al-Queda or anyone else. I only know that they are monsters and *must* be punished.
    My condolences to anyone who lost a friend or a relative because of this monstrocity.

Harbourboy, it is a vicious circle. Everyone wants to have the last word. But that is just not right. Unfortunately, people will never stop thinking like that unless a miracle happens; it's in the nature of human.

15. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] What is the feeling amongst the Spanish people? Are they rallying to war or surrendering to fear?

I saw some footage of protests in Madrid with people holding Paz signs... is this just a statement of the goal of humanity or is this a call to surrender?

16. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

They appear to be calling for going after the terrorists.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As far as I can see they are pretty pissed off. Marching for peace is not a surrender, it is a statement and a manifestation showing their disgust for the deeds, atleast that is how I interpret it. It is silly to think you are at war with terrorists, terrorists are criminals and should be hunted down like any other criminals.

They have arrested a bunch of people now, maroccans. All the talk have been about ETA or Al-Qaeda, what if it is neither? Spain is occupying a vast stretch of what Marocco sees as their land. It could be linked to that, even if there have been tapes and stuff claiming to be from Al-Qaeda and that they take the responsibility. They are a very loose network though so there can still be connections. The Spanish government is on the potty though as they have been rockhard in their conviction that ETA has been behind this, just to save their own necks in the upcoming election. I think it will be hard for Aznar to win.

18. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

They're joning with the German air-force and will turn Guernica and Bilbao into dustpieces, no ? Gosh, they're grieving. Not automaticly run to the attic and equip the assult-rifle and go chasing windmills isn't necessarily surrendering. Not to mention that "surrender or war" is a pretty weird thought-construct in situations like this.

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That's the way I look at it. Feel my pain by grabbing a rifle and hunting terrorists. Don't feel my pain by asking the intern to stop for a minute of silence.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What a cold and pointless 'attack'. Alá 9/11 I dont get what terrorists hope to achieve by killing innocent civilians. Its just plain sick.

My worry is that theres a lot of hate around today. People who hate breed children who hate even more and so the spiral goes and the attacks get worse. Makes you wonder how its all gonna end...

I think a lot of people in my beloved and native England are simply just waiting to see which part is gonna be bombed first. We have gotta be next :( .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.