1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Finally! I get to start a Bush topic! lol

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last year Michael Jackson was nominated...
    Looking at past winners it isnt impossible that Bush II gets it, I mean, Yassir Arafat and Jimmy Carter has got the award...
    Those Crazy Norwegians.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well if I do not remember all wrong Saddam was too nominated a year or two ago.

4. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Hm... Blair & Bush nominated for 'protecting world peace' (whatever that means), and Chirac for trying to stop them, perhaps? Utterly groovy!

I beat up one of my classmates once when I was 8. Can I get the prize, dear committee? Pretty please (or I shall thrash you a thousand times)?

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

World is weird. Yassir Arafat got the Nobel Peace Prize. As if everyone had forgotten what he had been doing in 70s...

6. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

That is so incredibly wrong.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If I declare war on America will I be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize? I am trying to eliminate the most powerful and therefore the most dangerous country in the known world who in this 5 year period alone have declared full scale war on two countries. They spend an incredible amount of GDP/GNP on military and military R&D and their military seems to only be growing.

Obviously by showing my hostilty to such a dangerous country I am furthering the goal of world peace and safety...

Right? :rolleyes:

8. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wow...some how I hate humanity even more now.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If Bush win the Nobel Peace Prize that only proves the world has gone made and the end must be near.

10. Baronius

@Abomination and to others too:
    Independently of Bush's Nobel Prize nomination, and not siding with anyone, I would like to remind everyone that despite of its bad decisions (of the Presidents' bad decisions), it was the USA which fought the most for the world democracy during the past 200 years.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    2004 - 200 = 1804

For whose democracy did the US fight in 1804?

Especially in the light of Monroe doctrine ;)

12. Baronius

I didn't say (write) it had done anything in 1804.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Oh sure. It was 'nice' (even this is debated - sure in the World Wars it was fighting freedom's fight) in the past so now it can be trigger happy?

"President Bush, why did you give the order to invade Iraq?"

"It's okay. I had subway yesterday."

14. Baronius

Edit: I don't agree anymore with what I've written here, in fact I don't think I ever did.

[ January 19, 2005, 18:22: Message edited by: Baronius ]

15. Brazzahrn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You're kidding me, right?

16. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No one has to worry about Bush winning the Nobel prize. Carter won last year, remember, and the committee explicitly said that it was meant as a rebuke to Bush.

I might like to remind y'all, though, that Kant predicted we'd have peace in one of two ways: either the peace of democracy, or the peace of the graveyard. Either we'd spread democracy worldwide, or the enemies of democracy would kill us all. Bush warmongering is bringing democracy to Afghanistan and Iraq, busily crushing ambitious authoritarians and terroristic gravediggers. Ironic that, long-term, Bush may be guaranteeing more democratic peace than peacemongers like Carter and Chamberlain ever did, non?

17. Baronius

I absolutely agree.

I do not think it is easy to predict such things. The future will show that.

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Democracy cannot be spread by force. As soon as the enforcer leaves the nation will revert to the prefered form of government. The only way to attain democracy is for the people of a nation to choose it and be willing to die for it.

19. Baronius

Sometimes this cannot happen without outer intervention.
    It is a common misbelief that "let people fight their democracy on their own". We forget the fact that there are countries where they cannot. The same misbelief dominated in USA, in CIA. They thought that no serious intervention was needed, and the nations of the USSR would obtain their independence. They were right that the life of people was terrible, and they were longing to a better life. But they were wrong in case of the "they will soon get so unsatisfied that they will rebel anyway" thing: the people of e.g. Russia had not been independent for more than 500 years... simply, they could not imagine what independence and freedom is... their great-great-....-grand-parents had not known it even.
    Do you think that the people of North Korea do not want freedom?

This is certainly true. But it is also obvious that the people would not choose the same type of goverment (dictatorship) which they had before the external intervention.

20. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Agreed. Put my emphasis on the "may".

Agreed, again. Even the American Revolution required French intervention. (Vive la France!) There's not a "unilateral" democratic birth on the planet - it always involves the foreign policy environment at some level. Even the Magna Carta was partly caused by Richard's Crusade debts and John's expected warmongering. All the major democracies were spread by force or its threat - France needed neighbors to remove Napoleon (twice); Germany and Japan needed the Allied Powers to crush their murderous dictatorships; and the Soviet Union might've cheerfully run Eastern Europe into the ground for another few centuries if the US hadn't bankrupted Moscow. And, in turn, the new European interwar democracies might've survived if the Nazis and Soviets hadn't bulldozed them.

I'd agree if we changed "attain" to "sustain". Like Lincoln said, democracy is always just one generation away from self-destruction.

Incidentally, to get back on topic - I agree with everyone here, Bush shouldn't win a Nobel. I mean, the guy is a self-proclaimed "war president". But maybe shaking up the peace is exactly what we need short-term for the sake of the world's long-term health, wealth, and happiness.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.