1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What makes you feel proud of your country?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Master of Nuhn, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I am browsing this thread with great interest, but I have to experience that some people do not tell what is their country and their country is not specified in their profile either (instead you can see locations such as "The Forest" etc which are very entertaining and D&D-relevant but not too informative as far as the country is concerned). OK in some cases the country is unambigious ("we have the greatest population in the world" would be China certainly), but not always. I know I am talking about only a few cases, but if there is a way, please name your country.

2. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't have pride in my country.
    I just can't be proud of a country just because I happened to have been born there.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Canada

We didn't have any war on our territory

Well except when Great Britain took over New France, but back then Canada was a colony. It's only until 1867 with the confederation that Canada became a country of itself. Not so many country can say that eh?

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Does Canada's native population agree?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well Ofelix, Sweden have had 195 years without a war. So your measly 140ish years aint that much. :p

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

In more than 4500 years of greek history, the longest peaceful period must be the last 54 years. Quite amazing, don't you think?

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Arent you still somewhat fighting Turkey in Cyprus to some extent?

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

My country became free in 1989 after about 500 years actually (Mongols, Turks, Habsburg supremacy, USSR). Very long time...

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    On Vikings- They were great traders. They made equisite jewelry. They ruled Russia and probably started it growing. They are the first known Europeans to sail to America. Vikings be proud. You lived in a harsh land and a harsh time.

The USA? I live in New Jersey now. I have lived in so many different states, including Alaska, it would be hard for me to pick "my state" I guess the melting pot is a good choice. Thats what I am a mixture of lots of backgrounds including native American. Just a mutt and proud of it. :D

10. BOC

Not exactly. The last fighting with turks took place in 1974, during the turkish invasion in Cyprus, and only a small part of the greek army was involved. Since then, we have been for three times one step before the war (1978, 1987 and 1996) but fortunately none of the both sides has crossed the final line. The only thing, that is happening now in almost daily basis, is dogfights without the use of fire above the Aegean sea, but this cannot be considered a war even if sometimes things are getting hot.

11. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Where I'm from we all have a diffrent accent although its not funny but beutifull (unless your from boston) and we dont say 'eh after every sentence.

The Red Wings are better at hockey than the Canadians (thanks to the Canadians on the team).

I guess my northern neighbor could be proud of the fact that they have created a great # of 'good' comedians.

And as for making this a 'discussion', screw that. I am young and haven't had much time to make something of myself yet. (I plan to go to coledge -> Air Force -> coledge)

12. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] On the subject of Cyprus...

I actually know a member of the Democratic Party who vacationed in that part of the World recently. He made the unfortunate mistake of taking a ferry from one part of Cyprus to another and was promptly arrested by the Greek Police.

He actually enjoyed the incident if you can imagine. It turns out that the Greek jail was far better than the hostel in which he was staying.

Yes, this anecdote didn't really help the conversation, but I did enjoy his first-hand account.

13. BOC

@Blackhawk

I want just to clarify that Cyprus isn't a part of Greece, it is a separate state and therefore your friend wasn't arrested by the greek police but by the police of Cyprus. The only official greek force on the Island is the Greek Force of Cyprus, which is about the size of a division and its mission is to help the National Guard of Cyprus if Turks attack again.

14. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Sorry, my bad. :)

On a side note, the Cyprus does have a nice flag, so does Greece for that matter. Both are far superior than the tri-colors that litter the globe.

15. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Being a Greek, I could be proud of tons of things. A few:
    1)Greece being the birthplace of democracy, freedom of thought and a civilisation the world admires.
    2)My nation lasting 2500 years.
    3)Hosting the Olympics in 10 days from now!
    4)Tzatziki!!!!

16. BOC

Actually 5000 years since the beginning of the cycladic civilization is estimated in 3000 BC.

I don't think that this is something good but I have to live with it.

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I'm still proud of Canada. Just thought I'd say that.

18. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I am proud of Canada just for being what it is. A fairly tolerant country that is highly multicultural.

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm proud of India because of the culture we still have in our society. What I have seen of many western countries is that there have been rather radical changes in the cultures of those countries over the last couple of centuries, (or this could be just me) but the culture and customs and heritage and all those things really make your life rich in India.

Also...the food is awesome, but then, I'm Indian so I would obviously say that. But seriously, the food rocks.

Also...the cricket team!! We've got Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Sehwag...that's like half the top 10 batsmen in the world already! :D

India rules!

@Morsmordre - I dunno about England's reputation in India mate. Its not because of the colonialism and Gandhi and all, its just that people who've been to England and the UK recently haven't had very many nice things to say about it.

20. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For the fourth year in a row, Norway has been rated as the best country in the world to live in. That pretty much sums it all up.

And by the way, no other place on this earth has such a beatiful nature and landscapes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.