1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What makes you feel proud of your country?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Master of Nuhn, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Since this is in the AoDA (and so far it felt like a Whatnots topic) I'm going to "implement" a "discussion"

Nationalistic pride is the cheapest form of pride.
    That is something both Schopenhauer and Nietzsche learned me.

Why should I, or you, or anyone be proud of what others made, "we" the Dutchies fight against water, right I'm sure you build a damn dyke yourself, "we" the Chinese made a huge wall to keep out the nomads, right, I'm sure you laid the damn stones yourself, "we" the Americans can smackdown any army in the world!, oh yes, I'm sure you're a 4 star general too...

The point I'm trying to make is, why not be proud of something you've done yourself?
    Why must you always live in the shadows of other people and desperately try to connect yourself with them, so that you can say "Look people, see that shining person way over there on the mountaintop of popularity, I live in the same country, cool huh?"

2. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well geez, Morgoth, if we all thought like that, how on earth could we keep defense contractors in tailored suits and sedans? :rolleyes:

Sheesh...some people just don't think things through. :p

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Morgoth

Good point.

In that case, I invented Ketchup. Me. I'm very proud.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Morgoth:
    In a way, people feel proud of their country in the same way that they feel proud of sports teams; even though the players keep changing, and all you do is pay good money to watch them play, they are still "our team".

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well of course you are right Morgoth, but we are indoctrinated since birth that there is something special about just *our* country. Intellectually I dont give a damn, borders are just lines on paper and further extension of the pack needs of the human animal. But in my gut I feel proud and happy when someone Swedish do something which is noticed around the world. It is pretty much a reflex. We are what we are made, no matter how much we may disagree or even resent it.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I beg your pardon. As a Pole I have an outstanding innate capacity to kick ass.

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Morgoth, you may have a point there, I admit.
    But limited nationalism is needed, it is one of the basic pillars that keep the people of nations/nationalities together.
    The fact that we are pride of our nations is a natural thing. We should not forget about or try to shoo away the mistakes of our nations either, of course.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have a deep-seated to need to feel to belong to something. My country is as good a 'something' as anything else. Especially if it is a country that hardly ever wins anything, that makes it all the sweeter when it does. Yay!

9. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What makes me proud of the US? :confused:

Errr... well. I suppose Chicago as it is now. Crime is decreasing and the city is looking quite lovely thanks to our mayor. Plus we've got the Smithsonian Museum, the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium... and the Chicago Fire the best soccer team in the States! Woop!

But what makes me proud of the country as a whole is our service men. If anything makes me salute the flag, its them. Particularly those who are now retired veterans from WWII.

10. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG]
    I hope you're joking. How can anyone take pride in soccer. :confused:

Hell, Sacramento might have the best hop-scotch champ in the World, but who cares! :)

11. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I take pride in soccer because I like it.... And anyways, does Chicago have any other team to take pride in??

12. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No, nothing to be proud of other than soccer.

Sincerely,

The construction workers of the Sears Tower, Pablo Picasso (the Chicago Picasso), Albert Abraham Michelson (first American to win the Nobel prize in Science), designers and builders of the Home Insurance Building (first skyscraper), the designers and construction workers of the McCormick Place, Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, The Detroit Redwings.... ;)

Since it is politics time, Chicago was home to the first national convention and the republicans nominated some guy named Abe Lincoln.

There is a lot Chicagoans can feel proud of. Perhaps most of all the blue collar toughness that is part of the Chicago mindset.

13. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

Detroit Redwings ...

Good point. Why on Earth would you watch Soccer when you have Ice Hockey? Ice Hockey is faster, tougher and is a "man's sport".

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Come on, guys. I think war and sports are both highly overrated. If that's the best you can do for where you live, then that's just not very much. You guys can rant on about ugly, smelly, sweaty grown men playing a kid's game all you want.

But in Texas we've got the babes. That's what I want to know: who's got the best looking women. Hell, Texas even has that beautiful blond who has her own TV reality show - you know, that really smart, classy one - THE REAL BIG ONE. Yeah, the one who married that old geezer for all his money. Now that's a lot of woman. Makes me prooooud to be from Texas.

Michael who? We've got classy, BIG league sprots action!
    http://www.eonline.com/On/AnnaNicole/Gallery/

We've got the real hardworking bluecollar action too.
    http://www.eonline.com/On/AnnaNicole/Gallery/index7.html

And who needs French cuisine?
    http://www.eonline.com/On/AnnaNicole2/GreatestHits/

Now, that's what I'm talking about.

But Texas still has the best looking babes...honest. :p

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Pffft Texas women...... obviously you've never been to Budapest. The most beautiful women are from eastern Europe, and particularly from Hungaria.

But no matter how much i love beautiful women, nothing will make me more proud than when we leave the stage of Euro 2004, holding the cup in our hands, which makes us rulers once more. :D

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I second that, pfft to Texan women. When I was in Texas, all the women I saw were eating McDonalds and Burger King and were the size of a house. The ones that weren't easting fast food were at the Big Texan Steak House. But that is just my experience. Maybe all the nice ones were at home.

Give me the sporty, active, outdoors, beach-going women of New Zealand anyday.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Our inventors

Our history (especially)

Our accents

Our beer

Our sports

Our charitable nature

Our World reputation (probably the best in the World, or am I wrong? :confused: )

Our Everything! :D :D

*Now start one on things about your country your NOT proud of, and i'll probably make a list just as long :rolleyes: *

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not if you ask Ghandi.

(Just kiddin' buddy! :D )

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    lol Death Rabbit.

That little bit of our history would fall under the last sentence of my post ;) .

20. The Netherlord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Quote:
    Now that Velve have countered all my arguments on Norway, I have to find some new...

- We're rich(very rich in fact)...
    - It's a beautiful country(everything's relative of course, but the mainstream say that it is, so I guess it's true. And I say it too, even more important)...
    - We have nice chicks(proofed)
    ....and last but not least...
    - I live here(very important, in fact, that's the most important part for me)...

You want to know why Norway is rich? Because they have got oil, thats why! And do you know why they have got oil? because one of the most idiotic ministers we've (Denmark) has ever had SOLD the ocean where all your oil are TO you, for practically NO cost. Nothing to be proud of there.
    In Denmark we are almost as rich and we dont have any natural resources like oil or gold or anything like that to give us money we don't work for. In addition to that I'm proud that the danes are among the best in a LOT of categories as long as you take into consideration how few we are. We are one of the countries giving the most money to charity compared to the number of people in the country for instance.
    But we do have our fair share of incompetent fools, who is so stupid it makes me wanna cry. Fortunately I don't think we have as many of that kind of persons as most other countries have. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.