1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My beef about the assassin

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by the assassin, Jul 18, 2002.

1. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] My only beef is that although you're a great backstabber/mage killer whatever, you generally need a secondary thief, and you aren't a fighter. It seems like its stuck somewhere between useful and useles. In other words, a secondary or tertiary character. Also, will you lose the guild when you go to spellhold or whatever its called, since you can't pay the guildmaster?

2. lionel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,not sure about the rest but I couldnt pay the guildmaster in time on several occasions due to being stuck in a dungeon,and lost my thieves guild but you just have to pay a fine and then you get your guild back again.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I think the Assassin is just fine.
    What skills do you put your points into? With a few items you can get Open Locks and Disarm Traps up to an effective score of about 100 each very quickly. That's normally all I use a thief for.

Get a Ring of Invisibility or Ring of Air Control. Now all you need is a few points in Move Silently. I think your assassin will fulfill all your thief needs and be a sneaking backstabber by level 10-11. If you put your points in the right places you should handle every trap and lock in the starter dungeon by yourself.

4. shadows Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i have never lost my guild and i always get it as i always playt an assasin. i have a level 39 assasin so my skills are all in the 200 area . . .and i can kick most fighters asses. with my tob items though

5. C'Jakob Guest

Ah, shadows, but this is an SoA forum.

Personally, I think one thief is fine enough. There are a few items that boost lockpicking and trap finding, and 70-90% works well enough. And there's always potions of Master Thievery. As for being a fighter, well, a thief isn't a fighter. Since he/she has good accuracy (assuming he has high dexerity, which all thieves obviously should have), he can just sit back and fire shots in direct combat.

And as for the Spellhold/Thieves' Guild problem, don't worry about it. When it happened to me, the guildmaster didn't seem to notice my leave.

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Ah, assassins...
    I have no problem with them, as you never need your skills to go above 100%. When starting, i usually put my skills around the following. This is an elven assassin btw:
    Open Locks: 20
    Disarm Traps: 20
    Hide in Shadows: 70
    Move Silently: 80
    Set Traps: 0
    Detect Illusions: 0

Maxing out on Hide in Shadows and Move Silently seems to work for me. As Imoen takes care of most of the Locks/Traps. I keep my Stealth Skills as they are, once I get out, Yoshimo takes care of the locks and Traps. (May need to increase his by about 10-15%), and while we're going through; I start to max out on Locks/Traps, and am around 70-80% by the time I reach spellhold, for his leave.
    Detect Illusions isnt useful, and neither is Set Traps for an assassin. Who's main aim is to backstab.

And with Items, such as the Ring of Thievery/Lock Picking/Mercykillers etc, and Potion of Master Thievery/Trap Detection etc, I've got no problem with getting my skills to 100%+.

There we go.
    :p

7. shadows Gems: 4/31

NAY NAY NAY i have to disagree . . trabs still do good and it fun ( for example ) in valygars home in athkantla when you go in and piss off his friend the guy leaves while he gone ( or before you talk to him ) set traps all around the door. thn when the othorities come in BANG they all die a sudden and horrible deatyh and your rep doesnt get hurt... and you dont need tob special traps ... normal run of the mill traps work like a charm ( it fun too ) . i mean just think of the possiblilities :hmm:

spoiler

drow citie when you leave some time when you feel like it litter the place with traps. then in the end before you go back to the dragon makw them all mad then they will set off the traps .. and the xp wil come pouring in . . .

8. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Shadow, the reasons above are EXACTLY the ones why I don't use traps. They are cheese, the way most people use them. As you said; you know waht Is going to happen, so you set traps. It's just like the Trap->Dragon strategy (cheese!).
    If you're going to set traps, set them fairly, or don't set them at all. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
    Example:

Kahlan walked through the thick, dark forest, not knowing what would appear to confront him again. Valygar, the sneaky ranger suggested that we should provide an escape route, just in case we needed to run.
    Kahlan set several spike traps around the corner, and in between the path's trees, so that if they were chased out of the forest, their persuers would not get very far...

That example is a 'GOOD' way to use traps.

"Jermin stood in front of the collosall creature, the biggest he had seen in his life. It's massive, red flamed eyes gazed down on him. Jermin quickly set to work, deploying several snares around the dragon, and digging several pits for spike traps, all the time being watched by the massive creature.
    He then talks to the dragon, "Hello, die dragon!". The dragon attacks Jermin, but falls dead before it can even open it's mouth, even though it did not even walk over the traps...."

That is a 'BAD' way to use traps.
    Just my 2cents.
    :)

9. shadows Gems: 4/31

no no i dont mean to kill boses no i have never used them to kill dragon liches or such , i only use them to kill things i dont have to kill for the fun of it . . . not as an easy way to kill as a way to kill things i dont need to kill... you see?

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It is still cheese shadows, using them when you know what is going to happen. If your character had a way of being sure what was going to happen ahead of time, then sure, that's certainly valid, as is the example Gopher gave.

You are welcome to play the way you want, but saying that you are not using them as cheese in your above example is just plain wrong.

11. shadows Gems: 4/31

i dont use them to save my character from death or anything. besides i have beat the game with my guy before so if i want to kill some people in a fun way, so what. and i on ly use then to kill weak people tht normaly you dont even fight.

12. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Killing people, that don't fight anyway, with traps? And for fun? Even for an assassin that doesn't make sense. Assassins don't just kill for the sake of killing.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

shadows, you are free to enjoy the game anyway you see fit. You did buy it after all. But, many of the people here don't like playing with cheese, and therefore will not be very receptive to the idea of doing things like that.

14. Haohmaru Khan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Good way to kill the Cowled ones(if you don't want to pay 5000 :D )

15. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It does seem rather odd to me. A city full of drow. You set traps all over. Suddenly, as the drow become hostile to you, the traps decide to end their lives. Smart traps. But wouldn't drow, the masters of treachery, notice a trap for six in the middle of the busy corridor?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.