1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What a load of ...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

S., he wasn't in a rat hole when the coalition went in. He was in a palace in Baghdad training terrorists, funding them, and working on nuclear and chemical weapons. And yes, you defend yourself from perceived threats. If you don't perceive them, you can't defend against them. If you do perceive them and don't defend, then you are destroyed.

The minimum of casualties is an unfortunate political fact at the moment. The American public just won't tolerate American casualities on the scale that would be necessary to invade, say, North Korea. The exception is if we can prove that the DPRK has WMD and can deliver them. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. However, I fail to see why not wanting to have casualties is a cause for condemnation.

I've debunked the "it's for the oil" nonsense so often that I don't care to do so again. Search for my other posts on the topic in this forum.

Bush certainly didn't need Iraq to help his image. He could have concentrated on Afghanistan and played up the astounding success there (instead of the astounding success in Iraq). And aren't all you leftists always saying that Iraq has hurt Bush's image anyway?

In short, I really don't get what the liberal Europeans are on about. We say that there is an illegal weapons program in Iraq. We say so for many years. Most people in the world agree. They send inspectors. Saddam kicks them out. Then we say, "Give us proof they're gone or we come in with force." He refuses, and the world says, "Wait, wait! We were just kidding before when we said Saddam needed to allow inspectors in. Let's ask again." We say, "ok." And France vetoes. So we go in anyway. Now suddenly because we didn't get a unanimous Security Council vote to uphold a UN resolution, no one believes anymore than Saddam had WMD -- despite the fact that we found bio labs, missiles modified to carry chemical weapons, and British intelligence tells us he was trying to get uranium. And they continue to complain despite the fact that THOUSANDS of lives have been saved because we removed a brutal dictator.

And this point it becomes obvious that there is no principled opposition. The only ones crying foul are doing so out of hatred for Bush or for America in general. You can't claim that you argue based on freedom, because undoubtedly Iraq is more free than before. You can't claim that you argue based on loss of life, because undoubtedly more Iraqis are alive now than would be otherwise. You can't claim that it's due to a desire to conform to international law (as if that exists), because there were nearly twenty resolutions against Iraq and the only reason there wasn't another was because of two nations on the Security Council. Perhaps it's just a "peace at all costs" mentality, but in my mind that equates to cowardice.

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Defend does not equate to aggression or violating UN principles. I can see the Afghanistan initiative -- we were attacked, we knew who did it and we were going after them. To use the "defense" ruse to violate international precepts and invade a country as a rogue agressor, no matter what cat-mouse provocation there is, is simply wrong. I do not believe that the crusade Bush has mounted to route out evil (which is precisely what this is) is justified, UNLESS a world-sanctioned (UN)crusade, with a coalition from a variety of countries, wants to take it upon themselves to accomplish this. (They can even make a checklist of who's next on the exorcism list!) Anyone want to join up?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Astounding success? Hello? He went there to get Osama, because Osama was behind 9/11. He didn't get Osama. What success? Osama is hardly any worse for wear than he was before.

So these days proof is of no consequence, hearsay serves just as well? USA uncovered no stockpiles of the imaginary WMD in Iraq - WMD the Bush administration publicly claimed they know the EXACT whereabouts of. Even if they didn't - which is obvious today - they didn't find anything which would pass for stockpiles of WMD without a laugh from everyone. You're basing your entire argument on "facts" which have either been proven as incorrect or lies during the last year. I don't know what sort of idiots you expect to fall for that at this point.

And, as usual, you are missing the entire point. It's the *how* that we're disputing, not the *what*. You are saying that anyone who doesn't agree with the current foreign policy of the current US government either hates Bush or America. Well, it is pretty obvious that nobody here hates America per se - no religious fundamentalists among us that I know of. So I guess we're left with hating Bush by your definition. Considering there's always cause for any hate, I don't see what your problem is here... If nobody hated Bush, no one else would ever get elected. You could just establish a dictatorship.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So, following your logic through, I guess you think the Holocaust was justified because Hitler saw the Jews as a threat.
    Including the weapons inspectors themselves.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is the kind of rhetoric that I find irresponsible, and if anything, the most cowardly defense to hide behind: Bush being criticized = attack on America; or if you don't agree with Bush, then you must hate us; so you are with us or against us. This whole argument is an attempt to mute debate. This is what I was commenting on in a previous post. It is circular: if you won't help us eradicate evil, then must be evil yourself, because you either hate Bush or hate America, and thus, you embrace evil. This is nothing more than aggressive nationalism in its purest form.
    The idea of a preemptive war to eradicate "evil" in the world is unprecedented in American tradition. The reason is simple: because the value system used to define good and evil, by any standard, is decided by the those actually wielding power.
    Thus, any moral argument, assuming the test of evil, wherever it may be found in the world, is based solely at the whims of those making policy decisions. It is a dangerous trek down that road of "shooting first and asking questions later," because the "questions later" part of the equation is never allowed. If you have to ask, then you are not with us. Therefore you must be...

[ December 17, 2003, 06:54: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

6. Spellbound

as Taluntain notes.... "astounding success"??? What astounding success? The man is still on the loose, free to do as he pleases, with the US no closer to finding him than they ever were.

I think it's quite clear to most that the Iraq invasion was nothing more than a smokescreen to divert American's attention from an ASTOUNDING FAILURE (with some oil of course to make it go down better).

and Chandos.....well said.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Grey Magistrate, you get the premises right and the inference is valid, but it breeds a conclusion that the war on Iraq and the invasion was in case terrorist would buy weapons from Iraq, ergo: blasting Iraq so that terrorists couldn'y buy weapons from there.

There are two problems here:

1 This doesn't look similar to what the US officially says.

2 Where's Saddam's responsibility for 9/11, which is sort of dogma in common reception?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Chev - good points - especially #2.

In fact, it has been pretty much determined that there were no connection between the 9/11 terrorists and Iraq/Iran/North Korea.

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

No, the reason we attacked Afghanistan was to bring down a government that was helping terrorists. We did so. That's called a success. We always knew that Osama could and probably would move. So what?

Chandos, I'm waiting for someone to tell me why they're so vehement. All I could come up with was Bush or America hatred (you've already proven yourself in the former category). But I'm open to hearing more. So far all I've gotten is "we don't like how it was done."

It seems to me that if that were true then everyone at the UN would be moving a lot faster to help get Iraq on its feet again. If it were just a procedural issue, then people wouldn't be comparing Bush to Hitler.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You got your facts mixed up, as usual. Taking down the Taliban government was merely a side effect of the hunt for Osama. Since they wouldn't let the US in to make a search for him, or search for him themselves, the US had to take the Talibans down to open the front door in Afghanistan. How quickly some people forget.

Also, I don't want to see any more unfounded accusations of Bush/America hatred from you again. You were already told to go read the AoDA sticky where there are a couple of paragraphs dedicated to this exact issue. I'm sure everyone here who doesn't support Bush as you do takes offence at your false accusations of hate. There's a big difference between hate and criticism you're obviously unwilling to acknowledge, since throwing that "hate" insult serves you well in your discussions.

11. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I suppose I should ignore your own personal attack, eh? "You got your facts mixed up, as usual."

I don't buy your statement that the reason we went after the Taliban was simply to get Osama. Do you have any proof of that? As I recall (and maybe we can get some other posters with sources or better memories in here), the problem with the Taliban is that they refused to help us look for him or allow us to look in Afghanistan ourselves.

In other words, we had a mission to find Osama and one of the things we had to do in the hunt for him was take out the Taliban. It was part of the "huntin' for Osama" mission, but not its sum total.

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As per the rules, if you have a problem with something an Administrator or Moderator says to you on the boards, you are to take up the problem with that mod/admin in a PM, not on the boards. Alternatively, another mod or admin can always be reached by way of PM.

You may have been excused for the issue involving Extremist, but you're getting yourself into hot water in other ways. To give you fair warning, there is only so much an SP member can get away with before its "bye-bye".

Incidentally, you know where to reach me in private if you have a problem with this warning.

13. Spellbound

um...Shralp....your argument makes no sense at all. In fact you're arguing against yourself! Read your post!!!

um... how is that different from what Tal said?

???? You just seem to be confirming Taluntain's arguments, which are correct, btw. Since your argument really isn't one, I'm not sure what you're trying to say....it may just be a case of factual dementia, I guess.

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Spellbound
    There seems to be an epidemic of this in the Alley. :D

15. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Heh. No, Spellbound, but I admit I could have done a better job explaining it. Let me try again:

We had a larger mission: Find or kill Osama. That mission has not succeeded yet.

As part of the effort in that mission, we took out the Taliban. That little side mission succeeded.

[For the information of others: I have indeed contacted Beren regarding the accuracy of what he wrote above.]

[ December 18, 2003, 16:09: Message edited by: Shralp ]

16. Spellbound

You are still confirming Taluntain's argument. You initially said:

Quite a bit different from your current version of "success":

It's pointless to continue this he said/she said logical argument, but in my opinion, taking the other side's argument in a debate only works if you understand the difference between the two.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well, according to George Bush the objectives in afghanistan were:</font>
    • Destruction of the Al Quaeda infrastructure
    • Capture of Bin Laden
    • Ending terrorist activities in Afghanistan
    The US did indeed drive the Taleban away with the Northern Alliance, but the fights weren't half as easy as reported. And the US did not defeat the Taleban, they withdrew, under heavy losses, to reform and fight another day. What they did. Today the Taleban, far from defeated, have reformed and retook a few provinces in Afghanistan, aid workers get assassinated on a regular basis to undermine international support, Al Quaeda has been beaten hard but seemingly has reformed, Bin Laden is still on the loose ...

IMO the best way to judge success is by the original objectives at the time you started operations.
    Insofar: Stunning success? Aren't you putting the mark for success a little low Shralp?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.