1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What should Saddam's punishment be?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] This poll is quick and easy:

Now that Saddam Hussein has been captured by Coalition Forces, he will be put on trial for his crimes by an Iraqi court.

What should his fate be?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 46 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What should Saddam's punishment be? (46 votes.)

What should Saddam's punishment be? (Choose 1)
    * Acquittal - 2% (1)
    * Life in Prison - 26% (12)
    * Death - 37% (17)
    * Let His Armpits Be Infested With The Fleas of a Thousand Camels (arabic insult) - 35% (16)

2. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Always with the punishment.

I find it immature to call for his death or life inprisonment, and hypocritial besides. An Aquittal would be senseless, as that would imply that he had done nothing wrong, and would make a mockery of this entire fiasco (as if it weren't allready). Thus, given that exile and banishment are not an option, I choose to go with the Arabian insult (go vote now, it is worth it simply to read this). I am glad to see that you have been open-handed about our choices. ;)

Truth be told, that was an excellent option, I could think of little more fitting. Kudos to you for your insight. Now if only we could do that to some of the folks in power around here. :D

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Let the Iraqis decide but I hope they kill him. Call me immature and hypocritical.

4. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

"Finally we've got someone to hang because of 9/11!"

Ech... 'Punishment'? For what, being an evil dictator? I suppose, then, that we should oust and 'punish' all 'evil dictators' throughout the world, which would be another Hundred Years War.

The point of GW2 was to roll some heads for 9/11. Even though no real ties could be shown, no real WMD were found. This is ridiculous.

Everything that Sadaam did was certainly deplorable, but not especially deplorable, no more so than China, or say Zaire: now was Josef Mobutu's punishment more harsh than Patrice Lumumba's? Hm.

I think he should be afforded the dignity of say, Napoleon, and be exiled to an island, wher he can live out his days in harmless peace. That would presume that Bush has as much class as England did then.

5. Laches Gems: 19/31

Why turn this into a 9/11 or George Bush or whatever thread?

It's supposed to be about Hussein and anything else is obfuscation. Let the Iraqis decide what they want done with him.

And the idea that his ordering the murder of thousands and tens of thousands of civilians, intentionally, isn't espescially deplorable because other people have done it too doesn't make much sense to me. 'Since not everyone is going to be punished we can't punish anyone' isn't a line of argument that makes sense.

This is Iraq's dictator. Not China's, not Zaire's, not America's. Let an Iraqi jury decide what to do with him.

6. Ishmael Gems: 4/31

Veteran

The American installed Iraqi jury.

BTW does anyone find it notable that the tribunal was set up just one week before Sadaam was captured? They must have known in advance, and set up the tribunal just for him.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] This is a great day for humanity.

I'm not particularly interested in his punishment. I just want to see him tried by his own people.

@Ishmael - You could take the fun out of winning the lottery. But even your pathetic spew can't ruin this. That's Ragusa's job. :D I would say "nice try", but your comments are so weak, I would be lying.

There's got to be a pony in there somewhere.

8. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I've just heard about it on the news. Couldn't choose between death and the armpits. Chose death at the flip of a coin

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think they should sentence him to "death by shoe". Drop him in the middle of Baghdad and have him beaten to death with shoes by the very citizens he terrorised.

I'd make one hell of a judge :grin:

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just because I man has been evil, doesn't mean we're free to do what we will to him without becoming evil.

What would that revert? What atrocity is able to change the past? What would be the benefit? Satisfaction, someone could say. That sort of satisfaction is one that Saddam found quite worthy of seeking.

Life in prison. For what he's done in his country, not for telling Dubya to get bent.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] He should be reinstated and given a second chance. Everyone makes mistakes.

12. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Independent of the thousands that Hussein had killed of the Kurds, Iraqis, Iranians, and Kuwaitis, Hussein merits the death penalty because he opposed the US in a war and lost. It may sound "uncivilized", but if you fool around with war, you're gambling with the highest stakes this world affords. Hussein lost and now has to pay the price.

Incidentally, Ishmael, Napoleon didn't "live out his days in harmless peace". He served as a focal point of resistance, escaped to Paris, and led an abortive 100-day attempt to restore the French Empire. It ended with tens of thousands of deaths. The world would've been much better off if the British had made him walk the plank.

13. Jorgon Gems: 4/31

Life in prison gives too much chance for escape, rescue and a focal point for terrorist groups "Free Saddam. . . OR ELSE!!" killing him could make a martyr to all the Saddamists out there, but at least he would never get a chance to kill anyone again. Probably let the Iraqis deal with him.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Incidentally, he was caught again and sent to St Helen's where he remained until his death in 1821.

What about American lads in Korea and Vietnam? Did they deserve what they got? Especially ones that perished in prison after torture sessions like only commies can provide. They fought in a war and got caught, you know.

However, you make a good point. Saddam's greatest evil is opposing US, isn't it? For that alone he deserves death, doesn't he?

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You can't please all the people all the time. :D

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The main problem as I have heard and as I see it myself is that the Iraqi council has recently abolished the death penalty. Reinstating or ignoring the fact that it is abolished seems to be a step backward for the new Iraq. I am in favour of life imprisonment where he can be put on display. Say lets people come in and gawk at the pathetic old man they have feared all their lives a few hours a day, should give people hope and serve as an example to other would be dictators.

17. Laches Gems: 19/31

Not quite right. Paul Bremer halted the death penalty. The Iraqi people are in favor of it as is the counsel. You can check out some Iraqi bloggers to get a pulse on the streets and the csmonitor has an article about it.

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Turn the bas*ar* over to the Iraquie people and let them do the honors, a quick death I say!

19. Jorgon Gems: 4/31

Death! But long and tortuous I say. Just for opposing America is not a good reason though.

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Voted Acquittal.

Shhh! Lemme explain:

Death is so easy, so sweet. Ending his life would be ending his misery.
    Life in prison means locked out of harm.
    Flee-thing: He's probably immune to that.

Acquittal:
    Let him go and see how the mob will 'look after' him. :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.