1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: The top 5 most annoying enemies

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Enthasius, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] No, Irenicus and Bodhi are more like bosses, so they don't count. Reasons would be appreciated.

1)The Illithid. Personally I avoid these B*****ds like the plague, seeing as they bloody cheat according to Ad&d p'n'p rules, and realistic reasoning.

Reason: I find it impossible to imagine an Illithid being able to suck peoples brains out when people have helmets on, they are being hacked at from more than opponantand when you are not being held magically i.e. you can still punch their squid faces off.
    By Ad&d p'n'p rules, it takes mind flayers several rounds of un-interupted sucking to successfully devour a brain, not just two hits!

2)Vampires (most kinds): Mainly annoying due to the fact they just rip through your armor and start draining levels without even a dagger.

Reason:The level drain gets really annoying if your a magic user, as you keep on having to re-memorise spells, as well as resting due to the fatigue restoration gives you.

3)Beholders: Constant, random death, hold, and domination attacks on you entire party can get REALLY annoying. No more needs to be said.

4)Lich's: As soon as you reach the higher levels in the game, these buggers come along.

Reason: ALL of them have time freeze, followed by a healthy dose of symbol spells (Death, fear, paralysation to name some of their repetiore)

5) SOME Golems (mainly Adamantite): I hate some of the more fiddly golems (such as clay) which require blunt weapons to harm)

Reasons: Adamantite golems have that annoying, over potent poison breath, causing about 4 hit points per second. So they just make it onto the leader board.

So..tell me what your worst enemies are, and any arguments about my choices would be interesting.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Top 3 annoying enemies ;):

#3...Carrion Crawlers becuase they can put hold on you and smack you silly with side to side head motions :grin:

#2...Saughins because they need to learn how to walk, and not that gay skip thing they do :grin:

#1...Mummies, (these guys have some serious issues) because it sounds like they had one too many bad Taco Bell burittos for lunch :grin:

Well come on now, I'd be upset if in a game like BG2 where you were poewrful and you didn't have the chance to fight Illithids, Beholders, Vampires, Liches, and Golems. You want Kobold archers? Play BG1 :p

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited October 06, 2001).]

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

1) Vampires - i HATE vampires, especally when you've just come back to athkatla, you're tired and weary, looking for an inn somewhere and TANOVA pops up out of nowhere and proceeds to drain everyone's levels

2) Beholders - they cheat, therefore i use the balduran shield to beat them at their own game - id prefer not to use such cheesy tactics, but they so annoy me

3) Efreets and djiinis - the ones with fireshield, cast fireballs, etc - i just find them irritating

there are more annoying creatures in ToB, but im not allowed to go there =)

oh and did i mention i HATE vampires?

[This message has been edited by Tassadar (edited October 06, 2001).]

4. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I hate umber hulks and myconids. They're such a pain in the ass. They're too wimpy to feel like a real threat, but they always confuse someone, and then I either have to micromanage the battlefield staying out of my crazed teammate's way till it wears off, or else use up my spells trying to dispel it. Ugh.

5. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1. Vampires - for the reasons mentioned above.
    2. Liches in general - for obvious reasons.
    3. The Player - for repeatedly incorrectly taking advantage of the party's strengths and allowing the enemy to capitalize on the PC's weaknesses.

--- yep, I am my own crew's worst enemy. Come on ya'll, fess up... am I alone here?

6. KRaK6 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Umber Hulks just get annoying. Espesially if you have to deal with a load of them at once.

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] #5: Vampires, those level drains annoy me when i lose the spells i wanted to keep for a specific reason as spellcaster level starts to drop.
    #4: ANYTHING that does a hold type thing on you then slaps you around lots looking smug. I know the little buggers look smug...
    #3: Those buggers that decide to dire charm your characters. Undfortunately they only have the character attack, and it's always a tank that gets it and fails the saves with me. Why couldn't it be the mages?
    #2: Golems, always having to switch weapons annoys me:p
    #1: Umber hulks/ confuse effect users. Worse than the charms IMO.

8. Kalten Gems: 1/31

1. Beholders and Gauths. Walk into a pack of them and it is like a machine gun of cause wounds spells and everything else. It has been a long time since I played D&D but they just don't seem right.

2. Vampires. Most of the time they are not a big threat to kill anyone but the level drains are really annoying because you have to go find a temple and pay lots of gold to undo the drain...then you can get back to what you were doing before.

3. Umber Hulks. Much like the beholders, it is like a machine gun of confusion spells.

4. The slaver parties that keep waylaying me. Once you get to the mid levels these guys are really weak but they keep showing up and wasting my time. If they were scaled up in strength as the game goes on then they would be OK.

5. Beholders...hate them so much they make the list twice.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

1. Demi-lich - I reloaded the game 20 times to find proper strategy to nail the bastard.

2. Keldorn - do I have to comment this?

3. Aerie - she wouldn't be so bad if there were no bugs with her, and besides I hate whining!

4. Nishruu & Hakeashar - wouldn't it be nice not to worry about those? They actually can destroy KEY items and prevent you from finishing the game.

5. Tanova - 1st time you meet her she is pretty much hard to kill. 2nd time you meet her, she is even more harder - because of a bug that says she is NOT undead so Daystar is useless.

10. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] 5) Umberhulks.
    You never encounter them solo. Ooooh nnooo, they come at you in packs and "recruit" your tanks, especially Minsc, who's taken a few blows to the head and is a prime target for those confusion spells.

4) Mind Flayers.
    A quasi-finger of death ability coupled with mind control. Sheeesh!

3) Gauth
    What's the deal with these green gumballs!? They're harder to deal with than the bigger ones! :mad:

2) Vampires
    Level drain AND mind control! :flaming:

1) Me :p
    OK Kailynne, I confess. One time, I actually mis-clicked and cast a Heal spell on Firkraag. Had to reload that one. Cast dispel magic instead of remove magic with beneficial spells on. Had to reload those too... :sosad:

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

5) Yuan-ti mages - at the low level you encounter them their protections are annoying and they're always screened by fighters
    4) Confusing enemies - aas everyone else has said
    3) Mind Flayers - again see above
    2) Gauths/ Beholders - see above
    1) Me - see above
    Also, most liches are stupid and put up improved mantle, instead of protection from magic weapons. If you have a fighter with a nice shiny +4/5 weapon you can whack 'em no problem.

12. Namuras Gems: 13/31

5. Yoshi. I wanted to keep him in my party!

4. Saemon Havarian. I consider him my enemy, but he always teleports away before I get an opportunity to kill him. He's a worse traitor than Yoshi.

3. Illithids. Their psionics are really annoying, and they almost always seem to appear in groups.

2. Nishruus and Hakeashars. See Extremist's post.

1. Kobolds! They're not so bad in BG2, but having been to the Firewine Ruins (BG1) too many times, I still hate 'em.

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited October 06, 2001).]

13. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

SPOILER: You *can* kill Saemon, if you're quick about it, when the Gith and Sahuagin attack the ship. 18 grand xp iirc.

In no particular order:

-- The Draug Fea gang.
    -- Elder Orbs (for the imprisonment)
    -- Those sunsabitches in the inn in the promenade. I always try to take them early and end up having to reload..that frickin' dwarf has 200hp, for cryin' out loud, and I've never seen him fail a saving throw.
    -- Tolgerias
    -- Any mage in my party who casts a lightning bolt. (Does *anybody* know how to keep from hitting members of your own party? Even when you're outside they rebound. Pisses me off to no end.)

My two centimes.

14. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The group in the sewers kicked the crap out of my party a few times before I beat them.

On my second trip through I decided to not help the person in the dungeon in Windspear and her party attacked as did a large group of Vampires at the same time. I got pummeled.

That group in the bridge district that you need a rogue stone to get to. They wiped me out a number of times and when I finally beat them with only three surviving members I couldn't get out of the damn room.

The red dragon, demi-lich and illithid also took turns making mince meat out of me.

I wouldn't change any of it though. It was a blast.

15. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The beholders are easy if you have the cloak of spell deflection. They commit suicide so redily!!!

16. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The cloak of mirroring/spell deflection doesn't do a damn thing against an imprisonment spell.

17. Skrynkelberg Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Well, let me see... Beholders get REALLY easy with the proper equipment (that is, a cloak of mirroring, as mark said :p)

Vampires aren't too bad, just make sure none of your magic-users get in the way and hack'em to pieces. Bodhi's pretty annoying though, draining five levels at the time, but stun her and she's piece of cake.

What more have you said? Yes, of course, mind flayers. They're a pain in the *ss. If you turn into the Slayer encountering them, they're fairly easy to beat though. And you're not forced to battle them that often, are you?

Lichs are hard, yes. But if you just survive until the protections have worn off, you can make it. Kangaxx the demi-lich is harder, of course. I still haven't managed to beat him. :(

Adamantine Golems? Naa. Just retreat until they stuck in a doorway and +3-weapon them to death! ;) I hated the clay ones before I realized that they only could be harmed by blunt weapons, hehe :) Now when I usually equip all my characters with at least one blunt weapon, they're not especially hard.

I don't think Efreets is especially hard - but the tiger ones (what are they called?) can be annoying with the cloud kill and chain lightning. Oh well.

Oh yes, and Umber Hulks are killed instantly by Cloudkill, you know. ;) And I have Keldorn with me, so I just dispel the charms if succesful.

And I HAVE managed to charm the dwarf in Seven Vales is it, right? Took me a couple of tries, though.

18. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Worst enemies:

1. ANYTHING that casts confusion. Umber Hulks, Myconoids, enemy mages when you're at a low level.

2. Vampires when you're at low levels. They level drain you till you have 10 HP and kill you. O.o

3. Beholders without the cloak of mirroring.

4. Dragons when they Malison you, knock you unconscious, and Wing Buffet you to the other end of the room.

5. Mind Flayers. It never works that well when YOU shapeshift into Mind Flayer form....

6. Level- and ability-draining monsters at low levels.

7. Adamantite Golems.... These belong a step up actually. Their fists do immense damage, plus their Cloudkill POISONS you!!!

19. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] In no particular order...

1) The ever-present, ever annoying Illithid. That Mind Flayer dungeon gets more annoying every time.

2) Drow - OK, so they're pretty standard, but their high magic resistance didnt please my mage-heavy party none. Plus they have stupid little phrases like "The only good surfacer is a dead surfacer" and "the drow rule supreme", all said in really dumb voices.

3)Firkraag - I'm always tantalisingly close to beating him when he minces one of my indispensible party members and I have to reload. *sigh*

4)That big gang of Irenicus' nasties in the Temple of Rilliafane (sp?). Took me a while to spank those puppies.

5)My Mum/sister/step-dad - Always pick the worst time to kick me off Baldur's Gate to use the computer for something trivial like earning a living or doing coursework. Pah!

20. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

The thing I hate about mind flayers is that magical items that purport to protect you against "all psionics," don't. Mind-flayers should only be able to eat your brain if they've successfully psionically stunned you first, but in practice, they can do it anyway.

You can protect yourself by drinking lots of potions of genius when you're in illithid areas, but that's even lamer, im-hoe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.