1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Last Resort

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Deathmage, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Dreads Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Beware of ranting:

As in my main Belief, law and order brings corruption, while chaos in ones actions is pure.
    Not-so-good things about order: Look at politicians, crooked cops, the parents of the victims of the subject of this topic.

--Why organize, when you *feel* instead, wouldn't that be better?

These kids suffer because they just didn't do what they're "supposed" to, acording to lawful view-of-life.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yes, because they need an opposite.

It's just like religion needs sins to exist.

That is not order, that is chaos. Chaos in order.

3. Dreads Gems: 3/31

Yep. But since when has chaos been able to corrupt chaos? Those examples of what happens when order is corrupted are stil rigorously thinking that everyone else should follow their rules. And IMO the corruption is more about evil in order than chaos in order. And if the parents didn't be so stuck up with orderly living, and controlling their offspring's lives they wouldn't have sent their kids there. AND there is GOOD chaos and BAD chaos. There's two sides to most things.

I simply can't see what benefits there are in follow order with no good coming out of it.
    If there was a law that dictated that you must sacrifice an infant every week, or something as ridiculous, would you follow it purely because it's a law?

And no more twisting my questions and answers.

To less ridiculous things. Reading the the article it would seem that the kids start "respecting" their parents after their "rehabilitation", perhaps making some readers positive to this thing. Just so ya'll know, that affection is fake. They "respect" their parents out of fear of punishment.

4. Morgoth

Media:
    *sigh*

When are you humans gonna learn that evil, good, order, chaos and free will are merely constructs of the human mind in a desperate attempt to explain the universe around us.

If doing it benefited me more than not doing it? Hell YEAH!

5. Dreads Gems: 3/31

The world is surely going straight to hell, I just know it.

BTW a description is a description, whether the described thing is "chaos", or the color "green".

6. Morgoth

Media:
    And is there a universal standard for chaos and order?

7. Dreads Gems: 3/31

Eh? Explain, please.

Oh, and more people are needed to post on this thread, and preferrably about the topic, instead of what we're doing right now.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, please keep your comments more directly on the topic rather than flying so far afield.

9. Morgoth

Media:
    Well is there some widely accepted standard you use to define order and chaos.

Or is that a personal standard that only you have?

Hmm, BTA responded before I could, if you want to continue this discussion we could use PM or make a new topic.

10. Dreads Gems: 3/31

We'll just have to agree to disagree, at least *I'm* sick of this.

And everybody: POST DAMMIT, c'mon, t'is an interesting/aggrivating topic.

PS. "Random ,direct and pure" is my view of chaos.
    Is there really a general picture of chaos? Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

11. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The thing that saddens me about this whole story is that evidently the parents themselves are so emotionally inadequate that they think that completely destroying all the things that make their children special to them will wave a magic wand over their own instabilities - and let's face it, people, you have to be pretty unbalanced if you want to send your child to this place.

Does anyone else spot the irony of this place being located in one of the most laid-back countries in the world ;) ?

12. Dreads Gems: 3/31

Semi-Rastafari that I am, that's a terrible thing.
    I used to luv everything about da country, mon.

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm going to have to agree with Shura here, but extend the knives to all those who came up with the idea.

The article also reminded me of two films, 'Cool hand luke' (though apparently no-one has escaped from 'tranquillity' ) and another film where, in this case, criminals who crimes the state considred to great for rehab sent to an island, they ended up split in two groups: those who were trying to escape and survive together, and those who were tearing each other apart and basically being savages (most of this is excess detail but I can't remember the name of the film, it's really just the island thing that made me think of it).

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

is suicide an option for the students? because that would be my choice.the so-called chaperones couldnt do anything about it if i slit my throat. its an abomination, its nothing like bootcamp, some of my friends have been to boot camp and its completely different

15. Troll Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Shura's reaction is the natural one, especially when you are old enough to realise that the all-powerful authority figures in your past were just ordinary a**holes. Then it becomes time for revenge, blow for blow, hurt for hurt.

And I'll bet anything that a gang of them would return to Jamaica, hunt down their ex-captors down and kill them. Similar to the grey justice dealt out in the movie Sleepers.

The question is why does this article make people think this way, rather than in the indifferent manner with which they would treat an article about a similar state run facility.

I think the journalist is lying and has written his story in such a way as to make it sensational. If this is happening to loads of children, why aren't we seeing them turning up on Jerry Springer et al. for;

'My momma institutionilized me because I used to ---------'

Why Jamaica and why privately funded, surely the American State would pick up the tab if you wanted to put your delinquent kid into care? Are the parents not actually paying to keep their kids out of the State Facilities that their behaviour was leading them to?

Delinquent kids don't give a rat's ass about books or education, the reporter should not have expected to see a normal classroom. Making the children responsible for their own self-study might actually be a method that works for some.

Back to 'My momma institutionilized me because I used to ---------'

'because I used to ---------'.

Kids steal from kids.

Kids hurt kids.

Kids kill kids. Kids kill kids. Kids kill kids.

'Not my sweet little angel. She's not like that'. Any parent that doesn't realise that their children are born with the intrinsic desire to commit what adults call criminal behaviour is a liability to society, because they are the ones that don't teach their kids the difference between right and wrong. When you are a kid, murder is all right, until someone tells you that it is wrong.

Some kids learn a different lesson. They learn that doing wrong makes them richer/happier, and in normal cushy, forgiving society they can't stop, anymore than an alcoholic could succeed at rehab in a bar.

If you are a parent and you know you are faced with the choice of your child ending up in a state run facilty full of pedophiles that are working for minimum wage so that they can get access to your children, or sending your child to an expensive behaviour modification facility, where you know that they will be safe (24hr scrutiny of behaviour) and were the emphasis is on rehab, not learning new crime skills, which would you chose?

Some people are beyond help, bastards from the hour they are born, destined to become criminals and to make the lives of everyone else in society a misery. But at least some parents are investing their own money in trying to change them. If they are lucky their little angel becomes a minor league drug pusher instead of a thrill seeking serial murderer.

Some won't be steered away from their path of self destruction. For them Jerry Springer awaits. He will ask them who is to blame, and the first words out of their mouths will be 'My momma institutionilized me'.

16. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ouch

While it is possible that this is a hoax I believe it has a greater chance of being true.

Something just occured to me, these techniques are EXACTLY like the techniques used bu cult brainwashers, there's the peer pressure, the atmosphere to confirm, the secret telling , the three day seminars that emotionally crush you, I would'nt be suprised if the whole camp just suicides one day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.