1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life-BS or not?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eze, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Eze, you are obviously down. Are you going through a particularly bad time? Unfortunately, life is full of those. Sometimes it can really suck.

After my brother was murdered (almost 3 years now, I can't believe it), I had to make the conscious decision to seperate the good from the bad in my life. I recognize that I am very happy and very sad at the same time.

Try to not let the bad things in your life completely block out the good things. You have your whole life ahead of you and you will have many opportunities to enjoy yourself. Make the most of these opportunities. Because the bad stuff is going to happen, and there is a good chance that it will be out of your control.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] *Brings new batteries for Eze's lightsabers and a wagon full of prozac*

There, problem solved. :D

That which does not kill you, make you stronger, like a certain SPer's quote (Morgoth, was it?). Live through the BS and you're a stronger/smarter/more focused person.

And go easy on the chiding, folks. She's only 13, the age of angst and complains.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I agree with Shura here. Something good always comes out of bad times.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

@shura
    The quote "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" credited to Morgoth... lol?

Anyway it is "what doesn't kill or maim you makes you a pacifist.." :shake: Here is another quote for you Eze... three words, Pu-Ber-ty.

Something else to chew on, what satisfaction is there in this cynical evil image of yours if you haven't experienced joy? Like how can you define evil if you do not know good?

[ August 04, 2003, 15:01: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I dont think Shura said that, just that I have it as an avatarline.

It's from Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols 1899

Destroy, does not mean death, more the loss of spirit.

[ August 04, 2003, 14:44: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Balance is indeed in all things. Or at least needs to be. Many old wisdoms say in one way or another, that while you hate work, you need to do it in order to be able to value the time you don't have to work. It applies to all things. Problem is, can you have more of the other than the other? As in, if everything ultimately leads into balance, then why would you work for anything, go through any amount of trouble, as the end result would be exactly the same?

Yeah, that's what I thought during my last introspective-philosophising season. Until I realised that no matter how much I put my mind on it, I just can't realise the truth about it. I even developed a nice theory of how more time for your ego gave it more resources to penetrate the superego, giving more impressions from your id, making life seem like a hell. It's good to ponder things, it's bad to get stuck on them, expecting to get answers no-one's figured out yet.

Just do something, take something you like or you're good at, specialize yourself in it, learn new things and learn to master the 3-parted "purpose" of every human. The most basic psychological studies say that a human is a psychological-physiological-sosiological animal. The better your stance in any of those, and the better your outlook in life will be. I've found that to be true in my case at least. Easiest way to describe it is to say that while psychological represents your mental well-being and capacity, physical your physical looks and health, sociological is how you can relate those two things to others. And something else like your position relative to others, your fame, friends, etc. Still, they're all connected. Any problems in any of those three can be corrected -if not through solving the problem directly- by enhancing yourself in the remaining two. In my case, improving my physique and my status in my work has done wonders to my attitude towards life, or self-esteem if you will. Though much work remains still.

It is no lame excuse of a whine that the increase in mental problems these days is a direct consequence of a too-easy life that has too few challenges and too much time to offer.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31

Well, I'd go with Nobleman: Puberty.

Or there is a particular problem, which makes life really suck, like parents which are preoccupied with divorce or something.

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Whether clouded or not, the sun's always shining.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, the confusing tone of my post there can be partly due to me having to cut the writing some 5 times at work.

Still the puberty thing is a fact. I just hope you don't take the "it's got nothing to do with puberty!!!1" attitude with it, as it very probably does. I went through all that in puberty, and a majority of my friends did too. But there's a good thing too. Somehow it seems that the people who go as far as question the meaning of their lives etc are also the ones who seem to get more out of it in the end.

Without putting any hint of some angst here, I can say that if things get really tight, it's good to know that life isn't eternal. This is not to make one commit a suicide, but just to make you think that if you have a limited amount of time here anyway, why not just go through it all and see to the end of it. It might (and probably will) be interesting enough despite all the downhills.

10. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

From what little of life I've experienced (15 years), it's not BS. Even with problems and lives turnig out more like soap operas, there are good things to be found. That's what I try to do in every situation, look for the positive. It's really hard sometimes but I just trust that it will end and goo dthings will happen again,

11. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Eze, don't listen to advice on this. It comes from people who live on Mars with a notepad and a television.

Except Shura, specifically for the wagon full of prozac.

12. Eze Gems: 24/31

Heh. Well, thanks for Prozac, but RopeCon was enough. I apologize for the thread, as this is a stupid teen thing. LOL. I really should be restricted net access, when I angst.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.