1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most persecuted religion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I think this view is shared by some scholars. Particularly Edward Said - His book _Orientalism_ is a classic work on the subject. But it is really more on the line that Islamic people are persecuted, rather than the religion, although that is still a piece of it. It's a few years since I read it, but I did not agree with a lot of what Said had to say on East/West relations. Nevertheless, there are some well-written books on the subject.

[ July 26, 2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

As far as China is concerned, you could say that it is a capitalist economy under a Communist regime, which as others have pointed out will absolutely not tolerate any perceived challenge on its leadership - hence the distrust of any religion with ideas of unity, having a strong central authority, etc.

3. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Propaganda? Evidently you are not familiar with the United States. In the U.S. the press is completely independant from the Federal Government and the member states. The First Amendment of the Constitution spells this out.

The many of the Third-World countries have a state-controlled press - which then operates as a propaganda machine. Practically all of the Middle East suffers under this regime with the exception of Al-Jazeera. When Al-Jazeera first came on the scene, most of the Middle Eastern governments were angred and demanded that Qatar dismantle the company.

The United States has had a free press for over 250 years!

The Middle East has a poor reputation in the United States due mainly to Palenstein. Remember, in the U.S. the Middle East never is really reported on - no one really cares - unless, that is, something terrible happens. Usually, this is a suicide-murder in Israel or their response to it.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What is Palenstein?

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Better ask: Who is?
    http://www.bigthings.ca/sask/edam.html
    With dutch ancestors it is not difficult to assume they might indeed have come from Palenstein, Netherlands: http://www.palenstein.nl :1eye: I hoped I helped answering your question.

6. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] "Palenstein" is a very, very bad misspelling of Palestine! ;)

Palestine is the occupied territory that Israel captured when attacked by Egypt, Syria, etc... It has the reputation in the U.S. as a "no man's land", a place of unchecked crime and searing hatred.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    What about the poor atheist? Everywhere one turns, one is bombarded with subtle religious-based messages. Nothing overt, mind you, just a continual reminder that the dominant portion of society falls under an umbrella of belief that an atheist does not share. Does persecution have to be intentional?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really do not think that islam really gets under the most persecuted sign here. Sure the faith may have gained some bad rep these last years but it is still nothing compared to what the jews have suffered. When it comes to the jews so was the holocaust just the climax of millenia of persecution. The christians may have had a few bad centuries during the Roman empire but it is still nothing compared to the jews. The rest arent worth mentioning in the same breath.

However I think Rallymamma has a point. Atheism or lack of faith has not been very popular throughout the centuries. I think that might very well be the most persecuted 'religion' as not believing has been a capital offence in most places where a monotheistic religion have been in place.

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A recent survey on religion and politics says Rallymama is right, in America at least: Atheism beats Judaism, Evangelical Christianity and Catholicism put together when the question is about what faiths you find unacceptable from a politician you'd otherwise vote for. But Islam runs a close second.

"At the same time, significant numbers of Americans say they would be reluctant to vote for a presidential candidate ­ even if generally well-qualified ­ if the candidate was a member of a specific faith. Nearly four-in-ten (38%) say they would not vote for a well-qualified Muslim for president, and 15% express concern about voting for a well-qualified evangelical Christian. Far fewer say they would not vote for a Jewish (10%) or Catholic (8%) candidate. But fully half say they would not vote for a well-qualified atheist."

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=189

10. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, I'm not sure that really qualifies as persecution and I am an atheist. Compared to say, the holocaust, people not voting for you for president just doesn't really seem in the same ball park. I mean, I'd feel a little.... peculiar telling a Jew whose grandparents were in Auschwitz that I can empathize because I've been persecuted too.

Perhaps persecution should be defined?

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Laches, throughout history atheists have taken a lot of rough persecution. No one accepted atheists. It is just in the last 50 years that atheism has turned into something somewhat accepted. Not a single european from 300AD up to 1750 would dare to admit that he didnt believe in god. If he did it would be the end of him. However they werent persecuted per se as atheism has never been very organised, due to some fairly self explanatory reasons.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Copernicus comes to mind. Wasn't he afraid of persecution, for puplishing his works and therefore let it puplish after dead ? So atheists in general had a hard time, but scientists had even a harder time.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Yago, please tell me you're not confusing scientISTS with scientOLOGY... :eek:

14. Iago Gems: 24/31

Ahm, no. Well maybe my English skills are little bit ambigious here, but I mean scientists like physics, biologists and so on. As a special group of atheists (even if they weren't at all mostly) which were kind of in a spotlight and therefore main target of persecution.

Not involving any members of scientology. Makes me just realize, that even their name is a PR-choice.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I figured that's where you were going but it never hurts to be sure (recalling someone who had confused Moonies and Mormons and Mennonites, oh my... ;) )

16. Alurith Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

-- If you're talking about persecution as in maltreatment, than Judaism is the one.
    But if you're talking about persecution as in discrimination then Islam is the one

-- Atheism is a belief NOT a religion.
    Religion based on a fact that there is a greater being (something greater than human) that create, guide and watch over them asserted by a set of rules that define the rituals and assignment/distribution of reward and punishment (ie good = Heaven and bad = Hell).
    A cult is based on a fact there is something more "powerfull" (not necessarrily more than human) that needs to be obeyed and feared.
    Atheism is a belief that doesn't believe in any of those mentioned above.
    There for, if we're talking Religion, then Atheism doesn't belong here

-- to Black hawk.
    Propaganda doesn't have to be like that. Especially in recent/modern times where information is valued more than any other resources, and where the peope are smarter, more aware of their surrounding, and evaluate things better. If a country such as US choose to directly or evidently manipulate the press than people would surely notest, but if they choose to mislead the information (misinformation) by twisting and covering facts, than they would surely succed. Something that US is very familiar with i believe, afterall US did teach this knowledge to their soldiers (or elite soldiers, i can't remember) and particulary their secret agents

Considering the delicate and possibly biased nature of this topic, and if you wish to get better result than a mere chatter and satisfaction of your curiosity. Then i think you should define persecution and narrowed the scope. Like giving a date range (ie 1800-1900, or 1990- 2003 and the like) Explain what you want to achieve or something like that.
    cause people think differently one another ==> I learned that it is never wise to assume that your audience knows what you know, even if it really is obvious.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Alurith:
    Re atheism – I disagree that it doesn’t belong here. Atheism is just the flip side of religious faith and belief. Any discussion on religion is IMHO incomplete without including atheism. I would also suggest that agnosticism belongs here too, which essentially says that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists, and therefore allows for any possibility.
    With regards to the propaganda issue, I have to say that, from watching the media coverage following 9/11, the North American media went to reasonable lengths to point out that we should not condemn the entire Muslim faith based on the actions of a few fanatical and misguided terrorists. Any prejudices against Islam after 9/11 were the result of our own painting of Muslims with the same terrorist paintbrush.

18. Iago Gems: 24/31

I too agree, that atheism and agnostics must be included. Even if they are not a "religion", they are/were/will be persecuted for religious reasons.

The same is for making a distinction between political reasons or "pure" religious reasons. This distinction is simply not possible. Because a lot of religion is nothing else but simple politics. Politics is religion and religion is politics. Can't keep them separated, especially when persecution comes into play. In this case it's because the politics in religion are affected.

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Alurith,

Religion:
    "Religion is any specific system of belief about deity, often involving rituals, a code of ethics, and a philosophy of life."
    Thus we would consider Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Native American Spirituality, and Neopaganism to be religions.
    We also include Agnosticism, Atheism, Humanism, Ethical Culture etc. as religions, because they also contain a "belief about deity" -- their belief is that they do not know whether a deity exists, or they have no knowledge of God, or they sincerely believe that God does not exist.

Religioustolerance.org

I still fail to see the difference between Religion and cult

Edit:

Cult:
    [ July 29, 2003, 18:30: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To me (and this is just my personal view), a cult basically dictates how you should live every little aspect of your life, and almost everything you do must be for the benefit of the cult. Religion, on the other hand, provides guidelines on how to live your life, but allows some freedom on the details of your everyday actions. Obviously, there are degrees here; to me, Christianity allows more freedom than Islam, but I don’t view either one as a cult.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.