1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Belief

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Malaqai, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The questions are very simple, and they connect (mostly) to the topic of the paranormal.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Belief (43 votes.)

Do you believe in ghosts? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 44% (19)
    * No. - 56% (24)

Do you believe in aliens? (Choose 1)
    * I believe aliens exist, and/or have visited the Earth. - 63% (27)
    * Nay, thou art false. Aliens are a fairy-tale made up by sci-fi writers. - 37% (16)

How about alien obductions? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 12% (5)
    * No. - 88% (38)

Do you believe in witchcraft/magic during history? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, but not in a form seen in today's popular culture. ( spellcasting, saving throws :) - 40% (17)
    * Nay. Tis' but stories told by bards sitting around campfires. - 60% (26)

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was about to vote but as you have to belive that aliens have visited us to be able to believe in them I felt I wasnt able to. But of the options there the only one I have a reasonable strong reason to think existing is some kind of alien species somewhere in the universe. I am not very convinvced that they have visited us though.

Ghosts I am quite ambivalent to, there are many many sightings and from people I know and trust so I am not convinced that they absolutely not exist but neither am I convinced that they do exist either. The human mind is capable of creating many an illusion.

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I do believe in Aliens, end of discussion, but I don't believe that they have been on Earth....

4. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't believe in any of thoose.
    The Truth is out there, you just got to find it.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, there are witches practicing today, and seeing results from thier dabbling with Satan.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yup, and Santa roams around the world handing out gifts to every household in all the world in one single night! Oh and beware of the bogeyman or he will take you when you sleep!

Sorry for that little outburst but I find it both terrifying and amusing to what lenghts people go to put themselfs into a frenzy of fear and paranoia to justify their view of the world.

7. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I voted no to all the questions.

I reckon that if ghosts or magic did really exist then scientists would have found some compelling evidence for them. I've seen several programs about scientists trying to prove paranormal behaviour and they were all complete failures. If magic really existed someone I'm sure there would be some really good evidence for it too, but I've never heard or seen anything remotely serious on the subject.

As for aliens, I have no idea why I don't believe they exist. I just don't.

8. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There's a problem. You've presented two options which aren't opposites. The opposite of "believing" is "not believing", not "believing not". I don't believe in ghosts. I also do not believe that there are no ghosts. Likewise for aliens, etc.

9. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Maybe I should refrase the questions. All of them.

Question . DO YOU BELIEVE in that the subject exists?

Answer. 1) Yes.
    2) No.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    On ghosts: Yes, I believe. There's more to us than just the body that dies. But the dead aren't allowed to travel back here at will - there's like a wall between them and us.

Aliens: Maybe. I don't say yes or no.

Witchcraft: Like Mat said.

11. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Witches don't dabble with satan. They worship the earth.

12. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

/agree rastilin

Wicca is polytheistic, with the central goddess being the "Earth Mother" or "Earth Goddess". Satan is not a member of the Wiccan pantheon.

13. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

X-files? Anyone? :D
    Anyway, I kinda like that sentence, it just means something to me. We human beings can't understand everything in the universe we aren't meant to do that. Nobody are.

I agree that it's more to us than just flesh and bone, but I cannot say I really believe in ghosts. But remember, I'm not right. What's right is:

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    According to Christian beliefs practicing magic, regardless of results, is either dabbling with Satan or believing in forces equal or superior to God in power (or that one can bend God to his own will) - whether knowingly or not. But it's unable for any side to convince the other so let's not make a heated debate of this.

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Aliens: Look at the size of this universe. And then think off all the things life needs. A good climate, a sorce of water, oxygen, warmth. And then forget all that because the chace that there is any other place in this masive universe with all this stuff is so incredibly small it's not worth even thinking about it. (Great logic aye?)
    Goasts: Yes, there are two of them huanting my house at the moment :p Of course I don' believe in goast. When you die you die, and thats that.
    Magic: Depends what you call magic. If it involves fancy tricks with mirrors, yes. But if it involves shooting magic missles out of the palm of your hand then, yes, it exsists in the world of fantisy and imagination.

16. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I know that there are witches, ghosts and goblins out there. You see, their plan is quite extensive and intelligent. They make disturbing, horrendous, cruel, mind-stealing movies to lure young ones to their doom at the merciless behest of $3.50 coca-colas at movie theaters.

I myself simply call them Disney and leave it at that.

17. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's a fact that aliens exist. There are trillions of trillions of planets, at least *one* of them is inhabited by aliens(sp?).
    Maybe they're not as we imagine them, maybe they are. Maybe they are friendly, maybe they are not. But sure is, they haven't visited Earth.

As for withces and wizardry, monsters and strange humanoids(elves, dwarves etc), something inside my head tells me they existed some time in the distant past. But maybe I'm a lunatic.

Ghosts? Ghosts as we know them through the movies do not exist. Definately, absolutely they do not exist. But this same thing inside my head tells me that they exist in another form that this presented to us.

But maybe I'm just a lunatic. :)

18. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ask people who have been technically dead and if they all report the same things, light, tunnel and wall, that alone should spark some belief.

19. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I believe aliens are real, but not that they abduct people. Magic is not real, and neither are ghosts.

20. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That should spark some belief about what? Aliens or magic?

I don't see how this will spark any belief at all, unless it is the belief that the last thing that goes when you die is your preception of light.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.