1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4th of July

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thauglor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You people are depressing. All bickering over this like little kids. It reminds me of a group of preschoolers fighting over something dumb. I am an American and I am proud of it. I really couldnt care less if people dont like us. There isn't much I can do about it so why try and why get mad over it. I am just satisfied with knowing that we can take anyone else on so why should I care if you dont like us. It's not like you can do anything about it. Joking. Anyway, like I said, you people with are acting like kids, with a couple exeptions. It's kind of sad really. My friend recomended this site to me, and I expected better from you people considering how highly he talk of this site. Oh well, serves me right for believeing him anyway. You people need to find something else to do that sit at a computer and argue over something stupid like this when it won't make any difference. Now I dont know about you guys, but I am going to have a good fourth of July and not waste my time whining about something that I can't change.

P.S. Happy 4th to all of the Americans here.

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lol, you may not no it, but a lot of European countries actually like the US-Constitution. So much, that the copy-pasted it. Or it may be, that the European constititutions and the American constitutions happen do have coincidentally (sp ?) the same roots. Well, an European bashing the US-constitution woudl be bashing his own constitution, because of the obvious similarities, so....

Maybe Ragusa wanted to start a topic about basic constitutional rights in general ?

3. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Thauglor, it's a little more then that. A simple debate on a topic is fine. But like Spellbound has said (which is true) there is a lot of anti-American going around, and if it has gone past the discussion into flaming that’s where something has to be done. Read the details on this section.
    Debating fits, to use an example I saw in this Thread, The war in Iraq, would be a good thread for this forum, but there is also rules and such a thing as crossing the line. To Quote Taluntain, from the furom rules.
    (Whatever a warmonger is, lol) Taluntain, correctly stated that, because debates and threads in this forum could and can offend people, and to a certain point we can’t have that. Spellbound and few others feel that there has been to much, And she should say that it, and give her word which she had. To sum all that up, it’s more then just arguing like kids, Thauglor.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@Spellbound - I don't care a **** about how people think about my country, I hate it. Also, I can't find the chatroom on all the servers that is listed so I don't know how it is there anymore.

@All - Ok, I will quit now. Sorry all.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ragusa's initial post was not anti-American (whatever that means), nor did it contain even a mention of Iraq, and yet it seems that most subsequent posts in this thread from Americans started to bash Ragusa over something he did not say, or for some phantom hate for USA they believe he has.

The problem I have with this philosophy is that most Americans who post here cannot understand the difference between dislike for the current foreign policy of the current government of the USA from hate for everything USA means and stands for. Did Regusa ever, in any of his posts, claim that the Americans are all a corrupt, vile, thieving nation of mass murderers or something equally shocking that would justify calling him a USA-hater? Well, if he did, I must have missed that post.

The person who pushed this thread into yet another flame war over Iraq was Velve Zauviir, but most people who posted here didn't even notice that. They went straight for Ragusa as the only target worth noticing, and labeled him a known "USA-hater" to boot. Sorry people, but this forum doesn't operate that way.

There is a very clear set of rules at http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000171 that everyone posting in this forum must (or, should I say, should) follow. Ragusa's initial post, though containing a bit of sarcasm, didn't break any of the rules listed there, or any of the forum rules in general. While a number of subsequent posts which were more or less personal attacks on Ragusa were clearly in violation of the rules set down for the AoDA forum.

This forum is for sharing opinions. There are no absolute truths here, so there is no winner or loser in the end. The world at large couldn't care less about what is said on this specific forum. But for those who cannot post in AoDA without following its rules, it is better that they either a) stay out of the AoDA forum or b) only read without posting, if they cannot post without resorting to name-calling. Everyone here is as much welcome to constructively criticize something, as offer unquestionable praise. AS LONG AS HE OR SHE STAYS WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE AODA RULES. This is the important bit everyone seems to forget.

The only mistake in this post was Velve Zauviir's, and unfortunately no mod/admin was around to notice and sanction it when it happened. But you have to keep in mind that this forum does not have a 24/7 vigilant eye watching over it and checking if every single post is in accordance with the AoDA rules and spirit. Sometimes justice gets a bit delayed. That is inevitable. However, all of this has been taken into account when I wrote the AoDA rules list, and it clearly states how people should proceed if any violations are noticed and not sanctioned in 24 hours. But obviously no one bothered with the rules. It was easier just to start another pointless flame war. Hopefully you'll know better for next time.

[ July 02, 2003, 22:35: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.