1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The art of boycott

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Iago, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

http://www.startribune.com/stories/562/3825428.html

Couldn't resist to post this article. Recently, I tried to boycott American products. But it seems like everything that has an American name either comes from Korea, China, Italy or Indonesia. Whereas a lot of European products are made by American owned companies.

2. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I went to the annual peace march on palm sunday and one of the speakers there spoke on boycotting franchises and big corporations. Apparently, these corporations get 6% profit annualy, and if we boycot their products so that they lose their 6%, their prices will drop. It's not a matter of suppy and demand, more a matter of greedy business men.

3. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I remember watching some right-winger on some random cable news show, and they were showing scenes from a French restaurant that was completely empty that might have to close, and they were commenting on how successful our boycott of everything French was, and how we were really making a statement.

Seeing this, I thought to myself, "Chirac surely might be an *******, but what the hell did the chefs, waiters, ect ever do to me? How the hell does ruining thier livelihood help us?".

The problem with boycotts on a global scale is that the average multi-national corporation has offices in 10 nations and shareholders in 100. Thier business is our business is the business of most of the rest of the developed world. Hurting them hurts us which hurts the rest of the world.

Even worse is the above example, where a purely American business suffers our wrath for something could not have possibly contributed to.

Now from what I've heard there are European counter-boycotts springing up, doing nothing but exacerbating the problem. We need to realize that any boycotts greater than a local scale will have bad ecomonic repercussions for everyone. Sure it feels great to say "We ain't drinking no French wine" as you pour it into a gutter, until you realize you just threw away several hundered dollars.

If you really want to boycott a deserving nation, how about China? They kill more of thier own citizens in a year than Saddam has done in his lifetime. They have conquered several of thier neighbors. They have a horrid human rights record. Of course this means you would have to throw out about all of your clothing and electronics, which depending on where you live may or may not be a good thing...

[Edit] When did the auto-censor come into play? I must have missed that update...

[Edit again] LOL, never noticed... just figured people were being more polite. :)

[ April 30, 2003, 06:25: Message edited by: Alex ]

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Why would you wanna boycot American products ?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Auto-censor has been running for around a year now.

And why would people want to boycott American products? Well, to counter the stupidity of boycotting French & German products started by the Americans I presume. Which has so many elements of childish behaviour and is so simple to sum up... You'll play the game like we say, or we won't talk to you anymore and shun you and everything associated with you. You only have the right to an opinion as long as it doesn't go against our own.

Ah, children.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I boycott all movies and songs that have word "American" in the title. That has nothing to do with recent war as I've been like that for years. An example? Go rent the movie called "American Ninja". And check how many non-american rewards got movies with "American" in the title.
    Linked to this is that I boycott all Scary Movie clones. I'm not the imbecile as authors of such things believe. And what a surprise, I couldn't find in any other country such movies. Yes, I do watch movies that are not from USA. What a blasphemy, right?

Please, don't get me wrong, this doesn't go only for "American" things. If your country produces crap**** that is an insult to human intelligence, I boycott that too.
    And wherever Shralp was from, I couldn't boycott him, right? ;)

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

To me, a boycott has to make sense. If a particular store has done something heinous, then boycotting that particular branch of the store is bound to get some attention. But screwing over a locally owned French restaurant? Chirac'll just laugh his bum off. I think boycott's have their place, but a person has to use his head -- "will what I'm doing get the message across to the people I want to get the message across to? Or will it unduly harm people with whom I have no problem?"

8. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Extremist, does that mean you missed American Beauty? That movie really was quite good.

I must ask, why did the American government decide to boycott french products? They had an opinon that what they were doing was immoral and unethical? That has got to be the second most childish thing that the US have ever done. The first being getting payback over Pearl Harbour by killing millions of people with 2 bombs.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Actually it was more like SAVING millions of people with two bombs

10. Iago Gems: 24/31

Sorry, Morgoth. But I have to disagree again. At least I have partly do disagree.

This is off-topic, I know (I kidnapped my own thread !!!!!)

Other Reasoning for the use of the bombs.

1. Japanese. Americans were afraid of them. Okinawa was one of the bloodiest battles the Americans ever had expirienced. (But Japanese losses were even higher).. They estimated, that hundred of thousands American soldiers would die in mainland Japan. So, they preferred the Japanese to die. Alone.

2. A mighty signal, a Bomb-o-gram. Look what we got. Something that makes booooooooooooooom. China and Russia, did you get that ?

11. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You must be joking. The war was practically over with Japan ready to discuss surrender with terms and Germany falling under the pressure of two fronts, the real reason of wipping these two cities out of the map was to show off their new toy nothing more nothing less. :(
    And to get back to the topic to boycott something has meaning only when it concerns the products of a specific industry/ies. In this case it is childish behaviour and with no real meaning or at least profit for both sides.

12. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

When the A-bomb was dropped Germany had already surrendered but Japanese were ready to defend their islands to the last man. Americans dropped the A-bombs because they wanted to avoid the casualties of a possible invasion in Japan but the main reason was that they wanted to send a message to the Soviet leadership.

13. Youngy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't understand Extremist, why would you Boycott everything with America in the title?

14. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The American government isn't boycotting anything. It's that whole pesky free speech thing citizens have, love it when you agree with it and hate it when you don't.

I'm...frustrated at what I see as anti-Americanism on this site, even by moderators, and it may play into my decision of whether to get an Alien computer through this site or to go to Falcon. Perhaps that's stupid on my part, but it is often the only voice people have.

Also, I'd imagine some Americans probably wonder about who started what, I mean, the French have been on t.v. for years throwing brick through McDonalds windows, attacking Disney, etc.

I'm sure someone will respond that that is in some way qualitatively different but I'll just have to raise my eyebrow in advance and walk away wondering if it is really only different because you may agree with it in that case.

15. Iago Gems: 24/31

K, it's not my intention to pick up a fight. K, how would you define "anti-americanism", or "americaphobia" as I would call it. I just read you're article once again on the an-Americans-opinion-thread. It doesn't state a definiton. Now, I know the definiton of Anti-semitism. But what's you're definiton of Anti-americanism ?

(Btw, I started this thread, because I thaught the irony and difficulties of a boycott, would be a theme worth discussing. And of course, situation where boycott really works, like in the case of Mr. Boycott. I didn't want another "America-Bashing" thread.)

[ April 29, 2003, 19:51: Message edited by: Yago ]

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well Laches, if you want to keep using SP without giving anything in return, you're welcome to. The majority of people who use the resources of SP do this, after all. Of course, accusing either me or anyone else here of anti-Americanism (whatever that is supposed to mean) is absurd. The other administrator who almost exclusively oversees this forum is American. I have dozens of American friends I talk to every day. The server SP runs off is in Texas, hosted by an American company. Our chatroom is full of American operators, running on an American server.

So this sublime threat of not buying an Alien computer (made in USA), through SP (which primarily caters to the US & EU audience) is doubly ironic in a thread about the stupidity of the current boycott.

And this coming from a member of the country where free speech is one of the most important values? Maybe it should be renamed to free speech with serious consequences. But then, it wouldn't be free any more, would it?

Reading certain topics here in AoDA, it appears to me that some of our American visitors don't understand their own most prized values. If to them free speech means only not being killed or jailed on the spot by the authorities for daring to utter a different opinion, then there is a serious problem with their understanding of it. Or maybe with mine, because I consider it to be much more than just that.

So again, what is anti-Americanism? Not agreeing with the current foreign policy of the current US president? I just wonder then how many Americans are anti-American but don't dare to show it for fear of consequences worse than boycott. That is what really scares me.

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm a mooch.

And it's kind of a tough similie to draw it to kids. In reality, there's no accurate similie. International affairs are just unique like that. There's no other kind of circumstances like them, either in scale or complexity.

The reality is, if this planet is ever invaded by aliens, and America needs some time to develop and research captured technology...we'll give them France's address. :1eye:

18. Iago Gems: 24/31

You should boycott ID4, it was made by a German. :D :p

19. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just a side note on the whole a-bomb thing.The reason the second bomb was dropped is because even after the devastation of the first one,Japan was still not going to surrender!

They still did not want to surrender after the second bomb was dropped.The Emperor overuled his advisors and surrender later.

Now if the question is did we need to drop the bomb that seems like it needs a topic of its own.

[ April 30, 2003, 09:12: Message edited by: Dorion Blackstar ]

20. Taluntain

Media:
    I really thought I didn't need to say "Stick to the bloody topic!" but it seems I do. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.