1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Armageddon

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Erebus, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, fellow SPers, we may be standing on the brink of the apocalypse, everything is in place. Such as the crisis in Iraq, well Baghdad is some few miles away from the site of Armageddon. The unleashing of Satan, can either be the retun of Saddam, or when Osama comes back. And the horseman have started to ride:
    • War: USA v. Iraq (duh)
    • Pestilince: SARS
    • Famine: North Korea
    • Death: All of the above
    So do you agree with me or not?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Um. No. There have been all those things probably throughout the whole history of the world.

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31

But all at once? And explain the site of Armageddon to me, if its not going to happen.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Maybe there is the possibility that the whole aspect of Armageddon is total bullsh*t. I mean it never happened before :rolleyes:

Sure there's always the chance that a meteorite will hit the earth and that I will call armageddon but not something that will be done by humans.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Well now? Humans can do anything.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] All at once, many times over in far greater quantities than now.

WW1, Spanish Flu (1918 iirc), famine in Africa at least (Let's face it, there always is).

I don't know how many died in WW1, but it certainly ran into millions upon millions, Spanish Flu worldwide 30m+ ! That's a proper epidemic for you!

So no, no more valid now than it always has been, and probably always will be to some extent.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I believe in Armageddon, but I don't think that things right now are any more intense on the front of the 4 horsemen that were mentioned than it has ever been in the past. There's always a war going on somewhere, there's always an epidemic somewhere, and people somewhere are always starving. Those markers will have to increase by several orders of magnitude before I'll think the Apocalypse is upon us.

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with Blackthorne, those things existed since the start of the mankind's history and yes they existed together too,think about diseases, war and i bet that this Korea incident has a replica in history too.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Armageddon is book 11 of the LEFT BEHIND series, and hit the shelves just last week.

You're right, Armageddon is at hand! :lol:

Seriously, there have always been and always will be wars and rumors of wars. Personally, I don't think the end is at hand. While I look forward to Jesus' second coming, I know its going to get worse. There were more martyrs for the christian faith in the 20th century than all the other centuries combined ... and its going to get worse.

10. Milliardo Peacecraft Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Is it at hand? From all indications, based on what Fundamentalist Christians say, it must be. Though war and pestilence is now out, famine--on a grand scale--is not yet. Nor death on such a big scale. But we might be on the brink. Again, that's a big if, since as the Bible says, no one knows the day nor the hour. So as Paul adviced, we must always be on the lookout for that hope.

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't expect to see the end of the world in my lifetime. I'd rather expect to win in the lottery.

And the worst time in I can think of to be born in, is the time of the 30-years-war.

12. Laches Gems: 19/31

I saw this thread this morning but didn't have time to respond to it then.

My initial thoughts were, "Oh for ****s sake."

Viking stole my thunder. Even today, the war in Iraq is really small in scale relative to what is going on in Africa right now. Actually, it says something pretty profound that there is so much criticism of the humanitarian situation in Iraq created by the possible destruction of art or the dropping of "200,000" pound bombs on diners in Baghdad while Mugabe and company are up to their deeds. I'm not exactly sure what the profound statement is, but I'm sure it is profound, I'm just sure of it.

After having all day to think about this topic, and to absorb the subsequent responses, my new reasoned opinion is: "Oh, for ****s sake."

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Fine but explain the fact that Baghdad is relativly close to the starting site of the final battle.

14. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Coincidence. There have been many wars between christian countries and the Middle East. Until the last couple hundred years, its been nearly constant. There were probably cries of "Armageddon" than too, with more reason. Think of the Crusades. The attack by the english on Saladin? Unless I am mistaken, at this time the Black Plague was also occuring, and, like always, people were starving. Death was probably at its height during the Holocaust. Pestilence was either during the Black Plague or maybe right now, what with the huge amounts of diseases just recently discovered, such as HIV and Tuberculosis (I probably spelled that wrong) with their massive spread. I can't answer for the other two, one because famine is always going on on a grand scale in many places, and the other because I don't know who the 4th horseman is.

15. Milliardo Peacecraft Gems: 2/31

[​IMG]
    I also would like to ask that question. Apparently, it has to be more than coincidence. It also helps to know that even with the examples given, it is only now that mankind have weapons that can practically send humanity, as well as all the rest of our planet, back to prehistoric times. These WMDs are far more lethal, far more powerful, have greater ranges, than Saddam's (still unfounded) WMDs. I ask myself this question, ever since I began my search for the Anti-Christ. I've discounted almost every person pointed out by the media: Bin Laden, Saddam, etc. They just don't have the capability, the charisma, or the power to be such. Except one man, and that nation he commands. And is it any coincidence that that nation in question now holds Iraq, the very same nation where just a few miles from its capital lies the capital of an empire that in Revelation would be the rise of the Anti-Christ? It doesn't mean per se that the man will be born there, but it might be that his growth into power will be enhanced there. And what other nation now have the qualities of that harlot of Babylon, the same site where Iraq is now? I leave those things for people to reflect, and judge.

16. Laches Gems: 19/31

Oh for ****s sake.

So now Bush is the Antichrist.

Oh for ****s sake.

That's really about as much comment as that argument deserves I think.

17. Keihdra Gems: 2/31

Armegeddon as the Bible tells it is simply the final battle of a seven year period. The world will see seven years of war, famine, pestilence, and death before Armegeddon happens. That is if the Bible is true, which, by the way, I believe it is. So far nothing on that kind of a scale has happened. Besides if this was Armegeddon, surely Mathetais would have told us by now. :D

18. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Joining in with Laches. Oh for ****s sake. This is so stupid. I don't believe in the bloody last battle and the Anti-Christ crap.

People die all the time.

Didn't want to offend anyone. If I did, sorry.

*trots off*

19. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

George W. Bush IS the Anti-Christ:

http://www.geocities.com/trebor_92627/Bush.htm

;)

Love that site, great music too...

About the topic at hand, I think the world has seen a bit worse than this! But we should really do more about the SARS problem. They claim to have it under control but new cases are popping up all the time. It's such a joke that they should even hesitate for a split second about "forced quartentines"! No, lets just tell them to fill out a little form, recommend that they see a doctor and let them go on their merry way infecting god knows how many people!

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Erm, no. Just no.

I hereby recomend the book 'The Rapture' to those that are spouting about the end of the world, and even to those that aren't (its a good book :) )

There is very little chance that someone is going to screw up bad enough to destroy the world, and I don't believe that any entity known as Jesus is going to rock up and take everyone to Heaven. There is no real reason for the world to end at this point in time, at the moment to war is small, not enough fo a bunch of quite possibly non existant horsemen to ride out on.
    Diseases and famines are nothing new, they happen all the time

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.