1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Should the US rule the world?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khazraj, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

As the question states.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Should the US rule the world? (52 votes.)

Should the US rule the world? (Choose 1)
    * Hell, yes. - 23% (12)
    * No. Way. - 77% (40)

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

What the hell kind of question is that! Of course the US shouldn't rule the damn world! It's just as screwed up as all the other countries combined. Did you know that gun killings in the states are alomst 20 times that of Britain, Canada and Japan COMBINED!!!

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hell no! Screw that. Ruling the world is a futile exercise anyway, wish Howard would realise that and stop kissing ****

4. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Saying "no" and saying "no way" are two entirely different things. I'd personally say "no"
    I agree with
    I may be wrong, but why do I get the impression that this is just another thread from a non-American making an attempt to make fun of and criticize the US?
    No, the US shouldn't rule the world, no single country should rule the world.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Obviously not -- I didn't even bother voting on such a weird (and as Elios says, probably biased) question. But I'd rather have the American system than, say, the version of Sharia that many Islamic countries have. No system is free from evil, but some systems are less evil than others.

6. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    This is a somewhat biased poll since there are alot of Americans on the boards :)

I voted yes BTW

7. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Speaking as an American, I wouldn't want the world, and I don't think very many American's would. There is a reason for nationalities. Some people could never co-exist under one government (as the EU and UN are proving), their interests are just too different. Nations should be determined by interests, not arbitrary lines drawn on a map.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That's true Da
    rkwolf. If Americans (like us) ruled the world, we'd be forced to do all sorts of things none of you would find enjoyable.

For example:
    [*]We'd ban all David Hasslehoff Music, which would devistate Germany & Belgium
    [*]We'd re-write history books around the world, to clarify that 1) We'd have won the Revolution without France's help, and 2) Vietnam was a tie
    [*]We'd have to PAVE FRACE, as the British need more parking (see Pave France for more on this line of thought.

:lol: :good: :spin:

9. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

NO. No country should rule the world, no matter who the heck they are.

And that's for every country, not just US.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Eze: Every country, ESPECIALLY US.

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Depends on what you mean. No country could rule the world, this place is just too big for efficient management. That's the problem with the EU right now.

12. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Could've fooled me.

13. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Most of you guys aren't looking at things properly. If one nation ruled the world, there would be only the interests of President, Emperor, King, etc. not a hundred nations after different things. Dark, this especially goes for you, interests wouldn't be different, because all current leaders would be eradicated. If current leaders weren't eradicated, the world government would degenerate back into what it is now. Nationalities would be erased, everyone would be one nationality, since that's where the whole concept came from, different nations. I voted yes, because the system of checks and balances (not democracy, I can't stand it when people call it that) is a very well thought out form of government, though it would be more stable as a Republic.

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] My opinion. US should not rule the world, but they sure should bomb Saddam to hell.

I am Singaporean but my stand is clear. Long live the United States of America, land of liberty!

*runs off to buy a Big Mac and a packet of FREEDOM fries*

[Offensive parts removed.] -Tal

[ March 23, 2003, 19:59: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

15. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Neon,

Nationalities are based on ethnic backgrounds, geographical locations, supply and demand of resources, in other words common interests. Having one government is not going to eliminate the differences in these issues for the different peoples of the world. This is why empires never last.

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Yer right. I'm not an American. I'm a Canadian (actually, half american on my mom's side). I still think that if america ruled the freakin' world, everyone would die and live in slums and eat bad food and be fat and die and be lazy and never do anything. Of course I'm kidding (or am I?).

17. Sh4d Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thats a silly question. How could America rule the world when most of the population isnt aware there is a world outside thier own borders?

[If you think this thread allows you to make foolish comments about false American stereotypes, think again - BTA]

[ March 25, 2003, 00:09: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Hey, BTA! I didn't think censorship (other than profanity) was the way of SP. Why is it that people can bash the Oslo police, say anything they want about Iraq, but not voice their opinion on American stereotypes? A stereotype, I've found, always has its truth. One stereotpye is that Canadians (where I'm from) are flubber eatin', french talkin' lumberjacks who have nothing better to do than drink beer and hate the Americans. It's a stereotype because there's people out there like that. In fact, I know one myself! Joe Mauroe. I don't think Sh4d should be bashed for saying that, when the fact of the matter is I'll bet most Americans couldn't point Tibet out on a map. I'll bet most couldn't point Turkey out and say "it's a shame what's happening to the Kurds. I'll bet most don't know there ever was a Kurdistan before the Ottoman empire fell in 1919. The thing is, most people (including those outside of the west) don't know what's going on outside their little box. The french are too concerned about their wine, the russian's are too concerned about their own problems (and they should be!), the germans are too concerned with taking over the world and listening to goth metal, and the canadians? well, we're just too drunk!

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mystra's Chosen - Perhaps you need to go read the forum rules again since you are directing comments to me in an off-topic manner on the boards when you should know better.

But since you asked so publicly, let me first state that the comment applied to you as well. This forum is for serious discussions of the topic. Both your and Sh4d's comments were obvious and exaggerated stereotypes of Americans (and others in that last post of yours)that do not belong in a serious discussion.

If you care to look around the boards a bit more you will see that serious discussions of America's shortcomings as seen by many members are not dissuaded.

Finally, if you would have read the sticky post at the top of this forum, you know, the one that says read it before posting, you would have found this:

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

David hasslehoff makes music!!?? That WOULD be devastating.

Anyway, No america shouldn't rule the world. Although sometimes I wonder what would happen if for some miracules reason all countries in the world agreed to govern the world as one. That would mean no more borders and no more countries, we'de have one country called 'earth'

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.