1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When does the media report too much?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Mar 21, 2003.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I've been laying on my chair for the past three weeks with an ingery that has pervented me from walking and doing much of anything. As a result I have been watching alot of tv. And this past week as we all know has been huge for reporters in the feild and outside. All the major news channels, NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC have been reporting on the war with Iraq. Now I have no problem with being informed. But here's my big problem with these media companies and the way they report. For the past week they have put aside every thing else and have just reported on Iraq. It's important to know what's going on but is that important to know whats going on that you have to report it for 24 hours strait with no interuptions? What about local news?! In fact speaking of local news...yesterday there were several thunderstorm warnings, yet the only chanel to say anything about it was a PBS channel! Usely every channel goes in high alert and tells you who should take cover and who is in the path of the storm. And anther thing today. I was watching the reports this morning and a local news person came on to say that two girls were taken and that they would report more on it tonight at 10pm. What gets me is that they said that at 9am! Getting back on track. So whats in it for these big news companies to report the same facts on a war over and over again? Money? Most likly. I just cant stand it any more that all thats on tv is just war. It frankly is getting on my nerves and so much so that I have started to wacth little kid tv shows and cartoons that normaly I would think are to stuip to even consider. But even those have war updates inbetween the show. There's a poplar kids show in America(I dont know if any other place carries it) called Sesame Street, the poplar character Elmo is talking to kids about war and that they should talk to adults about how they feel about it. Now it's a good message but truely war affects ever channel. Now I ask you is it right that the media reports so much where they never go off the air? I think that they should stick to there regular reporting times. Not this 24 hour crap shot. I can only think about how hard it is on the reporters but I guess that if they make it back they'll get a nice big bonus for the best fottage. I just hope it stops soon. Has any one else been experinceing this too?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I think they should let the local news give the reports every night in a little segment of the news, then get back to what's happening in our area....and then on to the local programing!!! I also feel that they should only cut other shows off if something big happens...like, "Americans drop several bombs on Sadam's palace where he was seen waving a white flag seconds before the bombs hit." Now that is a good reason to cut off the Simpsons!

Lastly...if a network wants to have 24 houre coverage, let CNN do that. After all, all they do is news right? :rolling:

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

EXACTLY!! I've been complaining about this for the last while. I have satelite (I live in the country) and have about 500 channels and the only place I can find something decent to watch is either the space channel or the comedy channel. After awhile old reruns of Just For Laughs (I live in Canada, don't know if you guys get it there because it's a canadian show on a canadian channel) and Relic Hunter and Star Trek. I've been doing alot of reading lately (which is good, I suppose). Perhaps we're too addicted to TV when a major world event pisses us off by cutting off 30 minute escapes from reality, hmmm?

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't know if we're too addicted to the T.V. because we're tired of listening to Ari Fleischer, Rummy, and a bunch of other guys get questioned by snotty journalists and tell us NOTHING NEW! I mean, while I'm sure there's lots of excitement going on right now in Iraq (understatement!), it can basically be summed up by saying "the attack on Iraq is continuing. A whole ka ka load of bombs are being dropped on Baghdad, and the Americans hope they hit Saddam, though they are not really sure. We now return you to your regular scheduled programming because there is NOTHING ELSE TO FRIGGING SAY!"

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

While you may have satelite I have regular tv. all I do is plug in a tv some where and what channels are for the public I get. But I have good news. Today the news channels only came on durning the morning and let the cartoons run! Right now local programing is all thats on in my area but if Bush says anything then it'll be on the tv soon.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I think it's kind of cute when they have a reporter riding in a truck with the rest of the column.

And they make him downgrade the video resolution so as to protect operational security.

7. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Eh, this is like reality TV to the 3rd degree. We have these reporters videotaping live combat!Personally, I don't want to see it since it just makes me more worried than I already am about my brother in the Marines. At least they had the decency not to play that POW video tape, I can't even begin to imagine what their familys are going through.

The US is going way out of it's way for the media, and to have a politically correct war. It reminds me of in Vietnam where they made "no bomb zones" of Hanoi and other places, compromising our own war effort and our pilots.

8. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Hey the media just got crappier. I have AOL 8.0 and they have a radio program that you can listen to. Well just as I was bringing up this page to type something else(I'll get there in a second), AOL had an anosmonte that they have a radio station that you can listen to 24 hours a day with coverage of the war. The media crap is even on the net servers.

What I can here to say was that Lord Sarevok reminded me of some thing that I saw on the tv not to long ago. Dead American troops. If I see any more I'm going to go anti-media pro-goverment-cover-ups.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.