1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is God Evil?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

as for
    What I meant is that there are three (not including Mormon) major religions that are very close together, yet the cultures were separate, for the most part.

as for
    I think that we created Evil gradually. In the bible it talks about Abel and his brother Cain. Abel was blessed and Cain didn't like it, so he killed his brother. That, apparently, was the first evil act (besides Adam and Eves troubles) committed. I don't think that actually happened and I think that some people are too linear in their thinking of what the bible says. It's full of symbolism, obvious or no. I think we started stealing, then raping, then killing... until we lost all respect for human life and the wellfare of others.

As for
    That is accepted by all Christians and it's probably true (I myself, can't really conceptualize something like that. It's like trying to imagine the end of space). I do not think that people should ever wait to hear from him. I don't think he should be the judge of all your actions. If you want to take a new job, do it. If it's not meant to be, then it won't happen. It's not the end of the world, but people treat it like it is and their decisions are actually important.

I ask you this. What really is evil? Murder, rape, death? Yes. But there are other things that are at stake. More than the loss of life or anything else. As a society, we've lost all morality. My dad still remembers when a handshake really meant something. Now, if it's not on paper, it doesn't matter, it never happened. Greed has become the main factor of our lives. God gave us a survival instinct (or self-preservation). We've manipulated that into 'living the good life' to survive. The more money, the less we have to worry... when in fact it's the opposite.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Are you implying that immoralism is evil??

3. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] If I understand correctly, you believe in dinosaurs because of the evidence of their existence, which is found in secondary and tertiary forms. I believe in God because of the evidence of His existence. Faith has to be based on something, after all.

A book that accurately predicts the future is not just a book.

Evil is not a creation. Why do you keep talking about it like it is some physical thing?

Of course immorality is evil. "Moral" and "good" mean essentially the same thing. Look it up in a dictionary if you are confused.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No they dont really means the same thing, atleast not for all people. Morality is conforming to the rules and laws of the society that you are and the rules and laws you put on your self. I find many expressions of morality to be if not evil to very suffocating and supressing. Not that long ago that raped women were seen as immoral sluts, and heck many people still view them as that so morality has very little to do with good. No matter what a dictionary might say.

Good is harder to define, it is very akin to morality as it tends to be in the eye of the beholder but I still think that good is more universal. Good can be what is considered a good act everywhere, like helping people that have a rough time, support and comfort friends that need it.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I doubt someone would find such a definition in a dictionary.
    Morality comes from latin and means something like "customs". bones mores -> the good customs.

6. Morgoth

Media:
    Yeah.. the ultimate proof.. I am Evil :rolleyes:

Evil is no, not a physical thing, it is more like an attribute "we" give to actions based upon "our" morals.
    For you that must explain why I don't believe in the forces of evil, there is no true moral, therefor there the attributes evil and good are invalid.

7. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    what proof is there of god???
    a book full of storys which probably never happened because it was created by some monk when he was bored?
    some people say there prayers have been answered but they never have its called luck and you may argue that luck doesnt exist but that would be off topic.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wow. Still this argument I see against religion.

I don't want to take this too far, as it would get off topic, but I think that if everyone just depended on logic and proof to discover whether religion was right or not, well, Islam, Christianity, and most other religions would've been dead for some time.

9. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think humans created gods (God, Ra, Thor, Odin, Osiris and the rest of the gang)because they are afraid to take responsibility for their own actions.

Lets say a christian soldier survives a huge battle, he might thank God that he survived.
    God didnt do anything for him, he was just damn lucky that no bullets had his name written on them that day, perhaps some of his friends weren't that lucky.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I agree with Jesper... theirs only one problem. God is the only deity (of the ones you metioned) that has survived and continues to be 'worshipped'. It's the fastest growing religion that people are being converted to, so it's by no means a dying religion. All the others you mentioned have been dead for hundreds (at least) of years.

I don't think God has much to do with our everyday lives and I think people that do are blind in their faith. I think that, if he really does exist (and I believe he does) than he won't interfere with us too much... because then there would be no question whether he exists or not and there would be no 'faith', only fear.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I can't recall the exact quote, but a Nobel prize winner has said that world peace is possible only when the only "isms" left are humanism, atheism and amnesty-internationalism. I agree.

(*throws the worm can and runs*)

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mystra's Chosen, I fully agree with Jesper 898, he just forgot to mention chinese, japanese and indian deities. Those are still worshipped and going strong and I don't think this will change.

Therefore, there are many other deities that are worshipped today, except the "god" (yawe ?) from the bible, which is worshipped by jews, moslems and christians.

And those countries who worship "god" (yahve ?), were mostly settled/under long military control by/from other countries, which worshipped "god" before, like latin and north america.

[ April 03, 2003, 13:45: Message edited by: Yago ]

13. The_Darkness Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The only god and all powerfull is Helm !!
    he is watching you

:rolleyes: :p

[In case you weren't aware, this forum is for serious discussions only - BTA]

[ April 07, 2003, 17:28: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

14. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

God is all things, good cannot exist without evil and vice versa. anybody remember the theory of relativity?

btw i'm an Ethiopian (African) and none of you would be here without us we are the original people of this world.

[ April 09, 2003, 23:45: Message edited by: Greenlion420 ]

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] :confused: The theory of general relativity states that there are four dimensions -- x,y,z, and t -- and that this "spacetime" is actually affected by matter; mass causes curvature in the fabric of spacetime. So what does that have to do with this discussion?

16. Morgoth

Media:
    That is a logical rule, Einstein and whatnot have nothing to do with it.

Yup and I'm Dutch, without us, you wouldn't even be surfing, since WE co-invented the CD and DVD.

[ April 10, 2003, 16:35: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Not agreed on my there not being if not for Ethiopians. It's just we come from the same root to which you are closer.

18. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmm...

What comes mainly to mind in this case is that, supposing that God exists, it seems people are quick to say he lacks responsibility for giving us the capacity to do evil.

Now it is true, no doubt, that human beings are a "flawed" bunch. My scenarios of hypothesis is then:

If you let your pit bull dog loose to wander the neighborhood and it bites someone, are you not responible?

If you raise you child and he becomes a mass murderer, are you not partly to blame?

If you let a kid wander a nuclear powerplant and push all the buttons and cause a meltdown, are you not to blame?

Where did God lose the responsibility he had for unleashing us upon the world? He gave us free will and we act evilly. And he will sit on high and say, "Nay, that's not what I meant by free will. What I really intended was for you all to be my subjects and give me praise, and if you don't and instead actually excersize that free will and do something I don't like then I'm going to judge you as a sinner." He should have a slogan, "God: the giver of Free Will*"

*...actual free will not included. some restrictions may apply. see Hell for details...

So an all-powerful God created us and gave us the freedom of choice. And after we had made a choice to deny him, he would stand and judge us? What kind of game is that? If he created me, and truly gave me the freedom to do what I want, and live my life according to my means, who the ---- is he to judge what I do? How arrogant. I don't care how powerful he is, let him smite me. I didn't ask to be born, to be judged. So screw his game. I deny the existence of any God so reckless in its methods, and arrogant in its power so as to be able to judge the things it creates as flawed.

anyways, just my views. the existence of a God would not strike me in awe. it would just make me pissed off at how poorly we all were made. like Capstone said above, which i can at least agree upon, if someone is controlling us then he's doing a crappy job. but an ammendment: if instead no one is controlling us, then let us be our own judges. let no one else carry that responsibility or power.

19. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Amon-Ra... I have to agree, partially.

You spoke of the freedom of choice given by "God" but the Christians of the the past 500 years have taken that away. either we accept their terms or go to "hell", that can't be right.
    "God" didn't change the deal, the so-called "men" representing him did. don't hate or blame "God" for this, so-called organized religion is the true blasphemer.

BTW...Chev, you're correct i was hasty in my response to African bashing, we are all of the same flesh.

[ April 24, 2003, 23:55: Message edited by: Greenlion420 ]

20. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If we reat from within ourselves than god is good and evil. He is also neutral.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.