1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Welcome Back, Elizabeth Smart

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Mar 15, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm glad that she was found, alive, and that she can now begin a process of healing. I was going to resurrect the Death Penalty topic, but I won't, I'll just say that it would be too good a punishment for the vile piece of filth who took her.

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sometimes, you have to wonder what would drive someone to kidnap someone they don't know. Or for that matter what would drive anyone to kidnap in the first place. But in the end, good came through so it has a happy ending, so far.

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A friend stated my feelings with regards to this better than I could:

4. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I thoroughly agree Laches. She was kidnapped by this, "Immanuel" (meaning "God Is With Us" for those of you uncultured in names) because his God told him to do it. This obviously has basis for an advanced discussion on God and the reason people do things in his name. I won't even try to go into that at the moment though, I'm too tired.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I think the only reason that everyone is making such a big fuss over this is because her dad is rich. Sure I'm glad she's back, but come on! I hear stories of kidnapping all the time, sometimes the story will get aired on AMW but that's about it. I know where the Smart family live...I'v been in their neighborhood...everyone who live in Federal Hights is rich! :money:

Don't get me wrong I'm glad she was found alive...but I think that if I were to get kidnapped, I bet less that 1/16 of the members at SP would hear about it. And probably less would actually care. :rolling:

6. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hmm. I'd wait to find out more about the guy before you call him a vile piece of filth, Depaara. From what I've heard, it sounds more like he's simply somewhat deranged. I don't think he hurt the girl, and it sounds like for most of the time that she was with him, it was semi-willingly. But we'll see what comes out, I suppose.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I know a lot of people get kidnapped and assaulted and don't make the news, and the crooks who do it need some serious punishments.

Cap, he raped her. They haven't come out and said it, but they insinuated it. He also brainwashed her and threatened her family -- and her -- with violence. I wouldn't cry a drop if he were killed. Slowly.

8. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'd like to break every bone in his body and ram a lead pipe down his throat. (Stolen from AoA) After he's been raped some 25 times by big burly guys, ofcourse.

This guy doesn't deserve to live.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Torture him before he dies?? wow

Why not kill him in 0.1 second without anyone watching and enjoying it ... oh no wait we are human, we like seeing people in pain and dying a bloody death, thats our newest form of amusement.

So many people here (prob all) think that that guy needs to die painfully and slowfully, we dont know him, never met him, never gave him a thought before he hit the news... and now he needs to die a slow and painfull death. Only because he is human and acts like one.

I am in favour of locking him up, throwing away the key, or just a quick death. Just to save the majority of society. As long as it is "correct" so save society

10. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think it's wonderful that there was such good news for a change. It's not of earth-shaking importance to us as a species? I'm not so sure. The real news story, to me, is that millions of people all over the world grieved for a lost child they never knew, and rejoiced when she was found. With everything else going on in the world, isn't it great that one single little girl can still unite so many of us in compassion and love?

Unpopular an opinion as it seems to be, though, I do feel sorry for the people who took her as they seem to me to be typical untreated schizophrenics. Even schizophrenics who did not believe in God when they were sane tend to think that the strange voices in their heads are the word of God - it's a symptom of a disease, not a reflection on Christianity or on any other religion. My oldest and dearest friend was permanently hospitalised for schizophrenia three years ago when she began to believe she was on a mission from God to deal with "the antichrist" - her PhD mentor. She was the gentlest, kindest, most talented person you could ever hope to meet before the disease destroyed her mind. In a way, my friend was fortunate in that there were people who loved her enough to protect her from the consequences of her illness. These people were abandoned in contempt by their own families, or so I keep hearing in the news. They do not have control over what they became.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wholeheartedly agree with Sprite on this one. I work in a mental institute and I have met many insane persons, most of whom have done quite terrible crimes. They are sick, they are not criminals. They need treatment not punishment (for those that still cry for punishment I can tell you that psychiatric care is not pleasant even when it is there to help you. Mindaltering drugs are not something that is nice to a person, even if they treat their illness. I would prefer 10 years in a prison before 5 years in a closed psychistric ward).
    Scizophrenia is the worst, but this kidnapper seems to have a pretty mild version of it. Most arent able to function at all and are almost more akin to wild animals than to humans, it is a terrible thing to see. But it is a sickness that is very easy to spot, someone should have noticed long before this came to happen that this man was sick and needed to be locked away for treatment.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I don't care to know the man -- he raped someone. End of any caring on my part. I am very tired of the excuses people come up with to justify their heinous crimes. I mean, we're not just talking jaywalking or swearing here, we're talking violent abduction and sexual violation.

Maybe it's the fact I have 3 little girls, and I can visualize the pain the family must feel. I don't care how "sick" the guy and his wife are, what they did is reprehensible.

I can even forgive them, but to my mind the only 100% surefire way to ensure they don't do it again is to kill them. Life sentences can be commuted by bleeding hearts, shrinks can be conned, prison can be escaped from . . . you get the point.

I know what I say is not very liberal, and seems harsh. But that little girl stands symbolicly(sp) for my daughters, and as I have said in earlier posts, I would do ANYTHING to protect them.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *wawes a hand*

Been in a psych ward. Not as bad as the one Joacqin works at, but still, a closed one. Several times, in fact. True, it is possible in the place I was to attain freedom, to a degree, but it does not remove the fact that it is still being locked up because there are things going *ping* in your head. And mind altering drugs? They are not a treat, let me tell you that. I agree with Joacqin on the psychiatric care being far, FAR worse than any prison sentence there is.

In prison they may screw with your body, but in psych ward they screw with your mind.

*hugs Sprite* I don't know what I should say, so I'll just hug you...

Conncerning the actual TOPIC, now that I have my rant out of the way... Well, I am in the half-way, here. I wouldn't shed a tear if this guy were t o get, say, the fate Eze would like to recieve. But on the other hand... If his mental ilness had been noticed and treated in time...

I am NOT blaming the society. I am just pointing out that the bloody society could do better. I see the society around me doing nothing with people who need help, and with those who GET help, it screws up. Trust me on this.
    I have seen it happen... I have HAD it happen.

(*casts Fire Shield: Red*)

14. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, I'm glad she was found alive, not in some shallow grave in the middle of nowhere; like most kidnap victims.

But where's the anger? Your daughter is stolen from your home(at knife point), probably raped, and your family is threatened and all you can do is break out in tears on CNN? I didn't hear a single sound bite of him calling for the punishment of that sick creep!

Oh, I'd also like to point out the fact that the mother met this guy on the street, gave him $5 for being the lazy bastard that he is, then invited him to their home to help Mr.Smart fix the roof.

I'm not saying she's a bad person for showing some undeserved compassion for that bum, but we seriously have a problem a "homeless"(that entire word was fabricated by the Left, since when is anyone entitled to a home? Last I heard in capitalistic countries you earned your home with hard work) problem in America.

If he really was insane, he should've been in a mental hospital! It's that simple, we can't have crazy maniacs like this running around. We have guaranteed education, we're the richest country in the world, and we have Welfare, Social Security and a host of handouts. We shouldn't have bums due to financial/economic reasons! I'm sure most of them are either criminals, drug addicts, alcoholics, extremely lazy, or phychotic like this bum.

By the way, I'm quite certain that the only reason this is getting the media attention that it is, it because the Smart family is wealthy. I also agree that it's pretty sad that this is getting so much coverage, when people are getting brutally kidnapped, raped, and murdered all the time yet they don't receive a nano-second of coverage. Just think of how many crimes are committed by the "homeless" that we don't hear about.

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I think it's wonderful that Ms. Smart was found. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.