1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your religion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shell, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Many people believe in some sort of god or divine being but at the same time rejects all religions. What would that be classified, not following any faith system by acknowladging that there may and hopefully is some kind of supreme being somewhere but have no faith that it really concerns me.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i was brought up in a religious family (im athiest) and their point of view was that agnostic couldnt exist because if you didnt have enough faith to get up and say that you believe in jesus, the lord the holy ghost and all that dogma, then you dont believe and so are athiest

i even convinced an RE teacher in school of this

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My religious post had a good definition of atheism vs. agnosticism, but that's because I stole it from here.

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I am an agnostic, I think, because I am not bothering to believe if there is a god or not. There might be, there might be not, but it is not something I bother with right now. Ususally, though, I refuse to belive there is one because there has been no proof.

What I am more interested in in paganism, though, but I have yet to start get into it. Is neo-pagan-Jedi an option? :p

(Bweing wacked)

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I've always understood an agnostic to be someone who believes that the true nature of God cannot be known, not someone who can't decide whether or not God exists. A subtle but significant difference, that.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I find it funny that Mormons aren't considered Christians. I always thought any religion that belives that Jesus Christ is the redemer of the world is considered to be christian. :rolling:

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Atheist but always questioning my lack of belief. But if I decided to do some believing it most likely wouldn't be in any of the multiple Christian gods, but then, the Christian god is realy just a mish and mash of many diferent other gods, so I guess I'd be worshiping the entire worlds pantheon in one :rolleyes: :rolling:

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Oops! Sorry about missing Judaism :eek: And I thought Hindus were Islamic?

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There is nothing above or below earth, if you know what I mean ;)

Really, there has been no proof in two thousand years... Maybe the christians and others could rise their faces from the dirt for a moment to see that there is nothing to worship...

[ February 26, 2003, 12:32: Message edited by: Virne ]

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Mormons (of which I am one) consider themselves to be Christians. Many Protestant groups argue that Mormons are not Christians. These groups also assert that Catholicism is not a Christian denomination. I don't really care what other people think -- I know in my heart what I believe.

As for atheism vs agnosticism, my understanding is that atheists believe that there is no God, while agnostics believe that such knowledge is unattainable for anyone -- to an agnostic, there MIGHT be a God, but there is no way of knowing for sure, so they don't even bother worrying about it.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hindus and Moslems are not even close to the same thing. The basic underpinning of Islam still involve monotheism and generally track Judaism and Christianity with such changes as: Jesus was just another prophet and Mohammed was the last prophet. Hinduism, on the other hand, is a polytheistic religion and involves reincarnation as a central tenet of the faith.

BTW - my understanding of atheism and agnosticism tracks many others here: atheists do not believe in one or more gods, agnostics acknowledge the possibility, but, without proof, are not convinced. As for me, I figure that it's pretty unprovable (I don't think much of the bible as a historical document), and I act ethically and morally according to what I was taught and what I believe is fair. I find that I am often saddened by what "true believers" do because, in my opinion, they do not act ethically or morally if they can find a justification for "bad" behavior in their religious beliefs -- extreme example is the suicide bombers who, based on a belief that they will go to heaven with the expected multiplicity of beautiful virgins (why the virginity is a plus is beyond me, by the way), blow themselves and numerous innocents up.

[ February 26, 2003, 17:43: Message edited by: dmc ]

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Pagans believe in the Godess of Beer. They worship her, everyday, after work.

There are also the Goddess of Muffdiving and God of Scubadiving, who are twins. The God of Videogames was recently cast down by the God of DVDburners; and the Prophet of DVDplayers has been reincarnated and is preaching the Good Word. The Goddess of Chocolate and Brandy is making a return, as there are several new temples being built in her honor.

Right now, all the other gods and soothsayers are bent at the God of Iced-over-Roads. He's libel to get smited here, pretty soon.

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i still hold my position on the whole agnosic front.

the whole basis for religion is faith, and without faith then there is no belief. with logic faith ceases to be, so there is no belief. each instance points to the lack of belief, and if you dont believe, you are athiest

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Not necessarily. A theist is one who doesn't necessarily belong to any organised church, but believes God exists and influences the world. A deist is one who believes God created the world and set the laws, but doesn't intervene. Atheists believe there's no god, not just 'don't believe there's a god but don't believe there's no god' - logically the latter means the same, the distinction is in stress only. If doesn't believe in the existence of God, he can't say he doesn't exclude it. He may only say he supposes there's no god, but there might possibly be one (or more) it being exactly the same as if he said he excludes the existence of a god but he might be wrong. This is still 'strong agnosticism'. So called strong agnostics insist it's impossible to tell whether there is a god or not while weak agnostics believe, but say a god is entirely beyond cognition so from their point of view there's no difference in practical sense.

And no, the poll isn't Christian-oriented. Orthodox should be separated from Protestants if Catholics are. The difference between Orthodox (any, including Coptic, Nestorian, Chaldean/Assyrian and several others) and Protestants is not smaller than between each of them and Catholic. Then the remaining Christian (any apart from listed below/above) would make a sensible option. The trouble with Catholic (any) is that High Church Anglicans could be confused - they're in the Protestant wing, but technically they're Catholic (not the same as Roman Catholic). There are also several post Vaticanum II (or even older) 'Catholic' churches by name (Trent/Protestant/Eastern mixes) or national (mostly with Vaticanum II excluded as too loose in discipline, but, astonishingly, celibacy cancelled), close to Anglican High Church.

Edit: If anyone is asking, I'm Roman Catholic.

16. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

True, there is no proof that God exists. All the arguments that have been brought forward to do so have been rebutted. (This is from a philosophical point of view. The proof has to hold at all instances. Any example that shows otherwise negates the proof.) Now, there isn't proof that God doesn't exist either. So, in truth, neither can side can truly say one is wrong. So that's where faith steps in. As Soshino said, there has to be faith. If you believe in God, it is faith because no one can prove you right. I like what my Theology teacher said. I don't know if he was quoting someone. He said: Where logic ends, faith begins. The term, leap of faith, is a good visualization of the concept. You have to leap even if you don't know what's on the other side. You believe that someone will be there to catch you.

@Chevalier:

Aren't most Polish Catholic, like the pope? I'm Catholic too. We might be the only ones here.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes, most Polish are classified Catholic, but the rate is falling. Still, those who are classified don't really have to practice or even believe. If they believe and practice they don't always believe and practice Catholic. In this country 91% of questionned people said they are Christians, but only 90% declared they believe in God. From total 100% 30% believe in reincarnation (those aren't technically Catholic). 40% go to the church. Not many know what they believe in (ekhm... a theologist would get a heart attack hearing some of them, a logician would already be cold).

18. BGP Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I am conservative Protestant. Denomination: www.pcanet.org

I work at www.thirdmill.org. Conservative, Protestant, helping poor pastors in various countries get academically solid teaching materials.

I'm an elder in my church. www.cpconline.net

I graduated from www.rts.edu in 1992.

From that, you can probably get my Discover Card number and SSN.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm a christian, a protestant, a calvinist, reformed and 'vrijgemaakt' (whatever that may be in English)

20. Twinkle Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] *Cackle*

A pretty interesting argument, I must admit I enjoyed reading.

Not that I have anyhting smart to add... just felt the urge to raise the only (as it seems) Provoslav hand in here.

(Geez, those crazy Russians, right?)

Cheers!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.