1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is There a Solution to the Nuclear Predicament?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The difficulty in finding a solution to the nuclear predicament may make it easy to assume that there is none. If there is none, the best we can do is to muddle through, paying no special heed to the nuclear predicament , hoping it will all come out in the end.
    But can we take effective action to avoid the choice of war?
    There may be factors in the human situation that so limit and influence our choices that, over the long term, the choice to go to nuclear war, whether that war be between the superpowers, between a nuclear power and a non nuclear power , will almost certainly be made. There are three factors that make nuclear war vitually inevitable. First, humans are gentically predisposed to agression. Second, the interests of nations unavoidably come into conflict, resulting in war. Third, national leaders continue to choose policies that are not effective in avoiding war. Do these factors show that nuclear war will almost certainly be chosen whatever we do?

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i dont know if i agree with you there, maybe the non nuclear power against a nuclear poer wpuld happen, but i dont think a nuclear power would nuke another nuclear power, one of the instincts of man is to survive, an they arent going to live very long if they do that.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A small nit, humans are genetically predisposed to stupidity. Agression is solely a symptom of it.

The only solution is for mankind to start thinking and abandoning weapons of mass destruction and looking to make this hovering ball of rock a better place for all mankind. But alas, I know better than to hope for such a time.

4. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    personally my view is that everyone should let off their weapons at once and get rid of humanity. It was God's worst ever idea

5. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@Shell -- that's odd, I've always considered God to be man's "worst ever idea."

@Faragon -- A person isn't predisposed to stupidity, but unfortunately people are. So the best way to get people to start thinking would be to send everyone to their own rooms to think about what they've done.

I wonder how long I can keep this whole 'reply only with paraphrased Nietzsche' motif up. :rolleyes:

6. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I believe that no country will ever use a nuclear weapon in any situation other than another world war. The countrys of the world would never allow such atrocities to go unnoticed, and all neutral states would ally against the power using nuclear weaponry. therefore, the only situation where nuclear weaponry would be used would be when there are no neutral states with much power. (ie. a world war)

--FenixStrife

7. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In a Utopic world, every country with nuclear weapons would just decide one day to scrap them all. Then they would destroy all those weapons and the threat is gone. In this world however, if such a solution was implemented, it would result in everyone of those countries claiming they had destroyed the nukes but in reality they have hidden them in a bunker. That would archive 100% nothing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.