1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Closing US Bases in Germany

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] “In the not-too-distant future, many of the former Soviet satellite states will welcome U.S. military bases on their soil, and at the same time the U.S. military will begin to withdraw a large number of the over 70,000 soldiers now deployed in Germany. I pray for this.”

That's a quote from a recent radio interview. From what I've heard, keeping our troops in Germany has been expensive and, with the end of the Cold War, unproductive. We'll probably be moving them soon. While Germany's recent attitude to the US has little to do with the decision, it does help speed the voted up a cycle or two!

Any opinions on this?

I'm wondering if the bases in Frace will close soon also. It will definitely help US troop moral to go out into town without having to deal with protestors. Imagine people being grateful for the US dollars coming into their local economy. All the jobs that will go to those new countries.

Here in the US, when bases close, whole towns loose jobs and have to fight to rebuild their economy ... I wonder if there will be a similar effect in Germany?

Just a few random questions!

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I read an article last week that the withdrawal of US troops in Germany and sending them to the new NATO countries is to be a punishment for Germany for not cooperating in the Iraq issue and a pay off for the new NATO countries for cooperating.
    While the US is fully within their right to do this it does annoy me alittle that they view their NATO allies as subservient to be punished when not agreeing and rewarded when being good boys. As you said about the effects on town with miliatary bases so is the ill effects more or less what the US is after according to the source in the pentagon that had been interviewed in the article I read.
    There are other occasions of the US trying to punish their 'allies' that doesnt do as told. Several senators and governors are lobbying for boycotts of german and french merchandise. Look at Shralps blog for more info on this. http://www.jamiedmcdonald.com/blogger.html

It almost seems like the US have no allies, only servants or enemies...

But at the same time I cant see any reason for US troops being stationed in Germany any longer either. Even if closing the bases do means an economical backlash.

[ February 18, 2003, 22:24: Message edited by: joacqin ]

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    good, i bet germany will feel alot better without 70000 foreign soldiers within their lands, all they do is threaten soverenty... and even though the US may think they are punishing germany by closing their bases there are already plans by the EC to use these bases to stage the EU rapid reaction force from.

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yeah, the Europeans want all the benefits of having the U.S. around without any obligations. Apparently in order for us to avoid being called paternalistic we have to just give them all lots of money, military protection, etc. and then just never mention it when they start to work actively against us.

5. Shoshino

Media:
    where the hell did you dream that up shralp?
    what benefits do we have from having americans around? none
    america doesnt give us any money, infact they are currently taxing our trade for everything they can get, and we do not get nor need millitary protection from the US, the EU rapid raction force itself nearly rivals the US millitary, without the domestic millitaries of each EC member

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Shoshino ... I'm not a moderator, but check out the FAQ's. Loose the foul language, and learn how to hit the shift key so you can capitalize your sentances. Right now your posts read like the children's poems written by a cockroach.

But then again, you do illustrate Sharlp's point. ;)

7. Shoshino

Media:
    where did i use foul language?
    and with regards to language im not going to write an english essay everytime i want to say something. and another thing, your an american your hardly in any place to dictate to me the correct use of the english language

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Maybe Hell isn't a dirty word in the UK ... but it sure is here. Different value systems I guess.

The FAQ's are pretty clear about using proper capitalization. I'll leave the issue alone for awhile and let God or Tal clarify the matter.

9. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It should be 'you're' when you wish to indicate 'you are' not 'your.' Sorry, I couldn't resist given the snide remark about Americans and correct usage of the language.

10. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

11. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Shoshino, don't try to insult the way americans use the english language, because we don't! American English is what our language has been named. It is a combined language of quite a few different ones. Take for instance "husband", it is an arabic word, the British use Groom or Bridegroom instead. So in fact our language is better, it consists of the best of quite a few, English is just the basis for it. Besides, look at your grammar, regardless of what language, you obviously missed 5th grade :lol: .

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hey, the Americans give out more $ in foreign aid than any other country. Shralp's right there. They maintain those bases (which are expensive, I might add) because the governments of those countries want them to do so -- the Americans are not occupying Germany, France, Japan, or any other country that has a base. If they want to pull their troopos out, they have every legal and moral right to do so. If their allies are not treating them the way they want to be treated, they should use whatever legal tools they have to show those allies how they feel. I'm tired of people bashing America just because they're big. So what? That means they are supposed to not flex their muscles just because it might hurt some egos? Give me a break. The British Empire, at its height, never failed to use that size to its advantage, and I don't fault them for that any more than I fault the Americans now.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I have said before but apparently need to say again and again. The US gives the least amount of foreign aid of all the properly developed countries in the world counted in percentage of GNP, which is the only correct way of calculating. BTA has supplied a link that should be somewhere in this forum.

There is also a difference between being allies and partners and bein subservient, the US seems to want Europe to be subservient.

If Iraq in some way manages to launch an invasion of the US I can guarantee you people that the US will have plenty of backup.

14. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually, that is a pretty lousy way of calculating it. I'm just now concluding a research paper on the topic for my Statistics class here at UC Berkeley, and I must say the figures you're using to judge the U.S. are hardly a proper measure.

To dumb it down quite a bit, the amount (raw $) of free funds that could PLAUSIBLY be put into foreign aid is more of a linear model with respect to the economy, while % of GNP is an exponentially decreasing model.

In other words, the higher the GNP the exponentially more of a percentage of that GNP has to be reinvested in order to maintain growth, while the amount of freed up moneys to give to things like foreign and domestic aid grows at a slightly depressed linear [still increasing] rate in respect to the GNP.

So the fact that the country with the largest GNP doesn't give the highest percentage of its GNP in foreign aid isn't ALL that surprising, and in fact, the difference between the extrapolation of how much the U.S. should give and how much it already does is not statistically significant.

I'm a statistics/math major, and its gross misinterpretations of data like this that make me cringe.

In regards to the topic: I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that Shralp is referring to the money and aid that was given to Europe at the time when these bases were established. Ever heard of the Marshall Plan, Pount Four Program, Food for Peace? Not to mention military aid in restabilizing countries? Whatever you want to believe about who foot the bill for European recovery, SOME of it was done by the United States, and we aren't even in Europe. Charity? Spit it back in our face, then.

15. joacqin

Media:
    The marshall plan was almost 50 years ago and was vital for the rebuilding of Europe, heck everyone got a piece of it, even Sweden that had been neutral in the war. The Soviets and their satelites refused though. But I just cant see how not agreeing on attacking a country for shaky reasons can be said to spit in someones eye, and even if it you cant expect people to grovel on their knees in gratitude for all eternity. Not to mention that the Marshall plan wasnt all together altruistic, for the US to have someone to sell their wares to they needed a whole and functional Europe, it was more of an investment than a help. But that doesnt take away the huge part it had in rebuilding Europe.

I dont have the numbers here but I think the US gives less than 1% of GNP in foreign aid which is way lower than the agreed upon UN level.
    But this is irrelevent, as is your cringing due to a statement that is the accepted fact in political and economical circles. Which are my 'majors'.

16. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The EU Rapid reaction force?

"where the hell did you dream that up shralp?
    what benefits do we have from having americans around? none
    america doesnt give us any money, infact they are currently taxing our trade for everything they can get, and we do not get nor need millitary protection from the US, the EU rapid raction force itself nearly rivals the US millitary, without the domestic millitaries of each EC member"

I'm sorry to bust your buble, but the EU rapid reaction force has the as yet unattained goal of being able to deploy 60,000 troops to any point in the world and the ability to maintain those forces for a period of up to 1 year. As far as I have been able to determin they have yet attain this goal. The thought of he EU rapid reaction force being near the strength of the US military is laughable.

And, I guess Europe didn't benifit one bit from the thousands of troops definding them from the Soviet Union for over 40 years.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    "It should be 'you're' when you wish to indicate 'you are' not 'your.' Sorry, I couldn't resist given the snide remark about Americans and correct usage of the language. "
    point out where i misused it

"Shoshino, don't try to insult the way americans use the english language, because we don't! American English is what our language has been named"
    i do not use american english, i use english, the actual language, not the bastardisation.

"Take for instance "husband", it is an arabic word, the British use Groom or Bridegroom instead. So in fact our language is better"
    we use the word husbund as well, and if you actually do your research youll find that the word husbund comes from husbundry, which is directly associated with horses, not humans.

my gramma?
    let me correct this sentance;
    "It is a combined language of quite a few different ones, take for instance "husband," it is an arabic word. The British use Groom or Bridegroom instead; so in fact our language is better, it consists of the best of quite a few, English is just the basis for it. Besides, look at your grammar, regardless of what language, you obviously missed 5th grade "

Amon-ra, he is directly associating the GNP with its expenditure on foreign aid, so basically out of what the US could spend it doesnt compare to what the US does spend, and in which case, the EC countries which couldnt spend that much, they spend a larger proportion of their gross revenue on foreign aid

"In regards to the topic: I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that Shralp is referring to the money and aid that was given to Europe at the time when these bases were established. "
    the US government didnt give aid, they paid for tha land and the recources used to build their bases

"SOME of it was done by the United States, and we aren't even in Europe. Charity? Spit it back in our face, then. "
    alot of this was done because the US recognised the sacrifice of the european people to save their arse during WW2, if it werent for us the US would have been nuked, ref: 'telemar'

"I'm sorry to bust your buble, but the EU rapid reaction force has the as yet unattained goal of being able to deploy 60,000 troops to any point in the world and the ability to maintain those forces for a period of up to 1 year. As far as I have been able to determin they have yet attain this goal. The thought of he EU rapid reaction force being near the strength of the US military is laughable"
    sorry to burst your bubble llandon, but the EU rapid reaction force boasts 120000 soldiers, 40000, armoured units, 125 warships, 660 advanced aerospace warplanes, , and these forces are not designed to operate in the world, that would undermine NATO which was a specific request of the US, so these forces are designed only (currently) to operate inside europe in response to a possible threat.

"And, I guess Europe didn't benifit one bit from the thousands of troops definding them from the Soviet Union for over 40 years. "
    lol, american forces never did anything to defent europe from the soviet union, for the best part of the cold war we had a cease fire with them, and in later years when the union became more agressive they didnt stand a chance at an invasion against europe.

another thing i would like to point out, america's bases in europe are nothing more then tourism to the EC, their soldiers spend money when they go to bars etc, we dont get anything from taxes from the bases because they are considered american soil. maybe when america leaves them we'll knock something off america's $2.8billion international debt to europe (yes thats something you missed in your 'foreign aid' ideals)

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Shoshino, I'd love to correct the numerous grammatical and spelling errors in your last post (please learn to proofread!), but the amount of anti-American vitriol you've been spewing after asking the mods to close a topic of yours if it turned into America-bashing shows me that you're a petty hypocrite who's not worth my time or effort.

EDIT: Say whatever you like in response. There will be no answer because I won't read it. Good day, sir.

[ February 20, 2003, 02:53: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

19. Shoshino

Media:
    i havent defended the UK against anything, so how can i be a hipocrit?

also, i know there were spelling and grammar errors in my post, as i said earlier, im not going to write an english essay every time i want to say something.

i asked the moderators to close another so topic of mine in a different thread because i know how much you weak minded americans get hurt by people bashing your government

"EDIT: Say whatever you like in response. There will be no answer because I won't read it. Good day, sir."
    my heart bleeds, guess i wont have to talk to you anymore, what a shame

and another thing, you mention america bashing, this thread was based on europe bashinc, this post in particular:

"Yeah, the Europeans want all the benefits of having the U.S. around without any obligations. Apparently in order for us to avoid being called paternalistic we have to just give them all lots of money, military protection, etc. and then just never mention it when they start to work actively against us. "
    my response was in levie of this post, so you punch, i punch back.

[ February 20, 2003, 03:22: Message edited by: Shoshino ]

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I will reinforce Amon-Ra's point by saying that it is mere jealousy on the part of foreigners to whine about the fact that the Americans can outspend them on a raw basis while STILL not denting their GNP. America should not be penalized for having a strong economy. When ANY country, including mine, can match the American's raw generosity, they will then, maybe, have the right to criticise.

This will be the first time I've directly addressed someone on the board, but Shoshino, you have lost all sense of perspective. The American's are not perfect, or even anywhere close, but your hatred of them borders on the pathological. Given that the UK and the US are probably the strongest allies in the world today, and my belief (I don't know for sure) that there are no US bases on UK soil, your unreasoned anti-American sentiments reflect poorly on you. What has America done to you or your country that makes you hate it so?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.