1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Ultimatum Game

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's how the game works. You and a partner are offered $100 to be split between the two of you.

A coin is flipped to determine who decides the split.

The person winning the toss can decide any split they choose.

The partner decides whether to accept the split or not.

If the deal is accepted by the partner, the money is split as directed. If the deal is declined, neither gets anything.

There is no negotiation; the split is offered once and once only, and it is either accepted or declined.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 49 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Ultimatum Game (49 votes.)

You win the toss. What do you offer your partner? (Choose 1)
    * $1 - 4% (2)
    * $2 - 0% (0)
    * $5 - 0% (0)
    * $10 - 0% (0)
    * $15 - 0% (0)
    * $20 - 2% (1)
    * $30 - 6% (3)
    * $40 - 8% (4)
    * $50 - 80% (39)

You lose the toss. What is the minimum you accept in the deal? (Choose 1)
    * $1 - 33% (16)
    * $2 - 0% (0)
    * $5 - 0% (0)
    * $10 - 0% (0)
    * $15 - 2% (1)
    * $20 - 6% (3)
    * $30 - 8% (4)
    * $40 - 16% (8)
    * $50 - 35% (17)

2. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

50 : 50, the only thing fair...

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fascinating. Most people so far would rather have nothing than $40 if it meant their partner got $60.

I should have made the high end more granular like I did the low end...

At least most people are fairminded and would offer half.

[ January 29, 2003, 19:52: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I would always give half but would accept less, as long as it is not by too much.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

How come we aren't allowed to select more than $50, and aren't allowed to accept less than $1?

I selected $50; $1, but I would give more; less depending on the circumstances.

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Your both equals in the game, so split it equally, simple stuff

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    First off it isnt very much money, if it had been counted in the thousands of dollars I might have been willing to accept a lower percentage. Perhaps, and not by much. I would mostly have been so upset for the bastard not offering my half that I would prioritise hurting him instead of gaining myself.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I figured nobody would be so altruistic that they would offer more than half, or accept nothing, so I limited the choices between $1 and $50.

Ah, but joacqin, you're hurting yourself as well as your partner if you decline...

[ January 29, 2003, 22:32: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

9. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I am surprised by the number of people who said " If I don't get half, then neither of us get anything."

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] because it's human pride and ideas of fairness.

It's logical really. if you observe people :thumb:

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It's more emotional than logical.

If logic ruled, then any deal other than nothing should be accepted because then everyone is better off.

But emotion rules these things; we like to feel good about our decisions, and we worry about what others think of us, and how they will deal with us in the future if they find out about how we performed in the past.

I find this very interesting, but not surprising based on research I've read about on this subject.

12. GreyCrow Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I went like this. $50 for her if I won and $40 for me if she won. I figuered if she won then of course she desreved the extra Ten. Luck was smiling on her. :D

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

A little is better than nothing, why bother screwing the other person up when you can both get some cash. Even one dollar is something, which is better than nothing

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have a sortof example:

I bought Morrowind for £35 but i didn't like it. A friend of mine wanted it. I asked if he wanted it for £20. He said okay but then also said he'd give me £25 for it. As much as it would have been nice to get the extra £5, i took £20 it was a decent 'friend' price.
    But then, if i declined, i'd have still been £35 down.

Hmm, don't entirely know where i'm going with this. Let's just say i made the deal fairly fair. He payed just over half.

15. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think the amount in question [total $100] makes it somewhat easier to say that getting a little for nothing is cool even if someone else gets more.

However, had the amounts been larger, I think it would be harder if you thought you were being stitched up.

Also of course it depends if the "partner" is a relationship partner or a business partner, or even a partner only for the purpose of the game.

Interesting, but as I say, the amount involved made it easy to be altruistic and not gready. I don't need $100. Had the amount in question been $100k on the other hand, then I might not have been happy with a buck!

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

this has been done in my family for ages, or a variant of it.

When siblings have to split a cake, one split and the other one chooses first. That way it'd be as even as possible if they both want a lot of cake :)

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Viking, the interesting thing about this is that the research indicates that the numbers (as a percentage at least) are invariant to the amount of money in the game. Hard to believe eh?

[ January 30, 2003, 18:46: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

18. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Personally, I agree with Joaquin - that had the amount been larger I would have accepted a worse cut as I would have needed the money. I can pass a few bucks to "punish" a partner for unfairness.

Incidentally, I chose $20 as my limit for accepting - $40-$50, I'm cool with, $20 - $40, I'd be angry but then again, free money's always good - below $20 I would want to get even with the guy too much.

19. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I said 50/50, here's why.

1) No matter the amount of money, I realize before we even toss, that this chance occurance of me getting offered this situation was just that - chance. I don't loose anything. I either gain something or nothing. That's fine with me, as long as I don't loose anything. I don't considered not getting the money as loosing it - because I never had it in the first place to loose.

2) With that said, I'd make this known to my partner. That I will do it 50/50 and no other way. Because that is fair.

3) If my partner won the toss, thought I was bluffing, or just got greedy, and decided to offer anything under 50/50, boy would he be in for a jolt. I would decline. I can hear it now:

"You idiot! I offered you $30. Isn't that better than nothing?"

To which I would reply. "And I promised you $50. Wasn't that better than nothing?"

:evil:

[Unfortunately, there is no negotiating, so you are unable to tell your partner what you would accept before he makes his split offer - BTA]

[ January 31, 2003, 04:38: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

20. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd offer 50/50. I'd accept anything (i.e. $0). If I accept $0, and my partner gets $100, I've been put at no disadvantage, and have no cause for "punishing" them.

I was actually required to complete a similar exercise in my first semester of university, while taking a compulsory course named (very vaguely) "Communication Skills". The class of eight or so people was split into two equal groups. A grid was drawn up on the whiteboard, and it was explained to us that each "turn", a member from alternating teams was allowed to draw a mark on the grid. If a team produced a solid line that crossed the grid (i.e. filled grid points in between opposite sides), they were rewarded with some chocolate. You could block your "opposing" team's progress by placing a dot in front of their growing line. The only other rule was: no communication with the other group.

Well, my team made it about half way across the grid when the opposing team, for no apparent reason, stopped drawing their line briefly to block ours. This caused argument within my team - some wanted to block back, some wanted to just start again (not many of us wanted to just start again, but some of us thought it important to indicate that we saw no need to compete). (As a side note, when we finally did decide not to block the other team, the game was stopped, and we were all given chocolate... some stories do have a happy ending ;) )

Anyway, I think I learned a valuable lesson that day... and it had less to do with communication, and more to do with human nature. When people are put in situations that hold no inherent need for competitive behaviour, sometimes they compete anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.