1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Did Shakespeare pen Marlowe?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Just like the question asks. There are some scholars that say that Marlowe faked his own death. And that he sent his works to Shakespeare who pened his name onto Marlowes works.
    Some of the evidence is very compelling. For instance, there are a lot of phrases in what is supposed to be Shakespeare's work that is very similar to phrases in Marlowe's works.
    What do you think?

[ January 25, 2003, 09:10: Message edited by: Elios ]

2. Tiamat Gems: 17/31

Yes, the evidence IS compelling...Shakespeare and Marlowe were contemporaries. Samples of Shakespeare's handwriting show that it is quite crude, more like that of someone who is illiterate. On his gravestone is the sack o the merchant, not the pen of the writer. BUT...
    Think about this too. Marlowe never achieved as much fame as Shakespeare. The brilliant tragedies (Macbeth, The Tempest...) are more likely to be the product of a mature individual who was NOT Marlowe, because Marlowe had already pretty much reached the prime of his writing when he died or disappeared.
    And, superficially, of course they sound the same...lots of thou's, th'art's, and iambic pentameter.... But did Marlowe and Shakespeare really have the same insight into human nature?

3. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] What does it matter? You've written the length of their texts thrice within weeks on a single web-site.

The real question is... did Tiamat pen Elios? I think there's a conspiracy here which needs explaining.

4. Elios Gems: 17/31

What does it matter? Absolutely nothing at all. Same thing with a lot of other topics in here. Its simply a question I was looking to get someone's opinion on. Nothing more.
    You know, if I read a topic and I don't like the subject, think its stupid or wonder "what does it matter" I don't even both responding and making other people read my response that has nothing to do with the topic.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've often heard it the other way around -- that Marlowe wrote Shakespeare. I don't buy either argument for a second, though, despite whatever evidence gets thrown at me. I read Marlowe's version of the Faust story in university, and I read Shakespeare all the time. They don't sound that much alike to me. Sure, some stylistic elements are similar, but so are the styles of, say, Stephen King and Elmore Leonard. Some similarities, yes, but a WHACKLOAD of differences.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.