1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The EU sets standards on swing set height? You have got to be kidding me!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Darkwolf, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] Online Sun Article

Now I know the Euros of completely lost it! What, is there a department of playground safety in European countries? There has got to be more important things that the leadership of the EU could be spending their time on.

2. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmmm... It's almost as bad as the cucumber directive. They decided that "the curve of a cucumber must not exceed 10 per cent of its total length if it is for export". Yep, the days before we got that rule were truly hellish, with all them crooked vegetables running loose. (I wonder if they can even spell the word 'moron'?)

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Since when do we have an "Department of playground safety", oh and yes, the idiots in Brussels and Strasburg are corrupt bureaucrates :mad:

But erm, Americans elected Bush, own BMG´s for home defence :rolleyes: why not RPG´s?? and have legalized corruption :p

[ January 23, 2003, 16:47: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Is this a prank? I'd like to see something from a RELIABLE news source.

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Excuse me, but I do take this seriously. There are set dirctives for playground safety, and THEY ARE IMPORTANT! These standards and directives are there to ensure the safety of the children! So that the kids won't, say, get their heads stuck between the pipes of one of those climbing thingies and choke, or fall down because something fails and break their arm, or something else as disasterous!

You think it is foolish and unimportant to set directives that ensure that playgrouds are safe for kids to play in? Think about it for a minute. Sure, those swings mentioned in the article are safe and have not injured anyone, but there probably are hundreds of unsafe swings out there...

Those regulations are made to keep kids safe. Just like they inspect toys to ensure that kids won't get hurt.

I don't like EU, by the way. It's just that SOMEONE has to make those safety regulations... if not them, then the goverments.

(Getting down from te soap box now)

[ January 24, 2003, 13:16: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

6. Mortensen the Second Banned

[​IMG] Well said Arabwel. It's just like when playgrounds used to have concrete floors. They changed them to wood chips because kids were falling and hurting themselves. And did you know that roundabouts were banned because a kid fell off one and fractured his skull??

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

It seems to be one more of the EU myths created by British nwewspapers, like "No more Caerphilly Cheese in Caerphilly, says Brussels". In this site you can find lot of myths similar to this one.

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I was looking for that the other day BOC, thanks for the link.

On topic, some safety guidelines are indeed required when it comes to places where children play, to a degree unsupervised. That's just common sense, I have to agree.

I'm inclined to believe that these days the UK government already set rules for a lot of things long before any sort of imposed ruling comes out of the EU, but the papers only pick it up when these rules are "enforced" by the big bad Europe.

Too many Europhobe newspapers here in my opinion.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This reminds me of an incident in a park about four houses from where I live. About seven years ago, this park had a tire swing in it. There were warning signs. Everywhere. Then, one day, some teenage girls come and decided to go on with thier legs sticking out. Not very surprisingly, one of them is now in a wheelchair for life. They removed the tire swing, and put in some normal ones.

Now, I'm not saying that this is the same, but still. It doesn't matter how much you warn the general public, somebody is going to get hurt.

10. GreyCrow Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Are you kidding me, I sure wish I had something like that. Then I would know for sure that all those distance jumping contests that I won would have been won under some regulation rules, now that would be some proper bragging rights.
    C'mon getting hurt while running out of control at a playground, like trying not to be IT and slamming face first into a metal pole that materialized out of thin air, is what being a kid is all about. It also shows you who you want on your team to play Red Rover. The one who after gaining conciousness starts crying, or the one who laughs madly and is not IT.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    A lot of safety standards are promulgated by independent (i.e., non-government) organizations, the adopted as gospel by the regulators. Take building construction - there's a group on the US west coast that set itself up as an authority, and many municipalities are adopting their standards instead of trying to come up with their own. I wish I could remember their acronym.

For another example, take bicycle helmets. ANSI and Snell simply set guidelines for what makes an effective helmet. They have no authority to force any manufacturer to abide by them, but most do anyway. The marketplace has demanded it.

If the EU is going out and developing its own new set of standards, that IS a waste of time. However, setting regulations to adopt existing standards is more like basic CYA government meddling. Sounds to me like this playground simply got caught in the wrong enforcement place at the wrong time.

12. GreyCrow Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Makes perfect sense. This was the scapegoat PlayGround. Make an example out of that one to teach all the other swing-sets a lesson, except it won't stop there, ohh nooo.

The slides will be next, they look too tall, someone could fall and break an appendage.
    Those monkey bars don't look safe, someone could fall and break an appendage.
    What about those swings, someone could fall an... already covered that. Oh I know Those fields are dangerous a kid could trip and break a arm, and a leg, and be struck by lightning. Or not.

13. Fhirn the Elven Archer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have to disagree with all the constant limits and regulations concerning safety. Accidents as such are almost inevitable. They are a part of the world and you cannot avoid them.

And the more rules and bans are set, the less fun you have, basically. We mustn't forget that the world is and always will be a dangerous place. So why limit our childhood fun? To reduce the number of accidents by 1?

Give it a break.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.