1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Advice to today's youth

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] If you could bestill one serious piece of advice to a child, lets say under 12 so most people in here can answer, what would that piece of advice be?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Would it matter? They wouldn't listen anyway

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Try to understand why people act in some ways.
    (Don't judge them on first sight)

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

( Edit: this is to Aikanaro -> ) Precisely. Also, precisely the reason things are the way they are. But what can you do? Me, I'll just make sure the under 12-year-old will learn to respect/fear me real well if it comes to it. Wouldn't be the first time either. Fear isn't a good thing, but it's the only way any child will ever learn to respect and value. The fear of punishment.

So an advice? Pain.

A wise man once said (you know, I have to stop referring to myself as some wise man :rolleyes: ): Father is the discipline, mother is the sympathy, together they are the teacher, and their product is a human, completed.

Nowadays the roles are not that simple, as either may be either, and probably both are a little of each. But it's just to emphasize that both are needed ( :doh: really?), discipline, and love.

[ January 23, 2003, 14:19: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sunscreen ;) of course...

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    1) Don't waste your opportunities (this assumes that the kid can RECOGNIZE an opportunity when it's presented).

2) Be true to yourself.

7. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think i'd have to say live roughly by the ten commandments. I'm not a hardly religous person but those are still a decent set of rules to live by.

8. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmmm... Being only 16 myself, I can remeber pretty clearly what it was like not so long ago. My best piece of advice would be to listen to the opinions of others, even if you don't agree with them, and to calm. Down. Right. Now.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Don't smoke cause it's 'cool', because..well it's not

10. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd tell someone under 12:
    - Enjoy life right now because as you get older it gets harder and harder (I never could enjoy it much, I had to do my growing up very fast.)
    - If you have a goal in life don't let the opinions of people stop you from trying to accomplish it (I'm refering to personal experience here.)
    - Try to do the right thing, always!

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Don't try to grow up too fast. When you become mature, you miss out on the stuff you could have been seeing and doing as a kid. And be carefree; let the grown-ups do the worrying for you.

Wow, I sound like Holden Caulfield. :eek:

12. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Start thinking about which other countries you'd like to live in and start learning some other languages. You want to be able to get out of the UK as soon as possible.

PS sorry if the whole country is beyond repair by the time you are old enough to leave.

EDIT - just to quantify this, I'm talking about things like facing (by the time they are old enough) a £30k debt (current estimates £21k) when they start their adult life in they choose to try to better themselves with a university education, needing to have attended higher education to qualify as a cleaner, not being able to afford their own home until they are into their 40s (current estimates of first time buyers age 34), being even older before you can afford marriage or children, a health service that has collapsed, no pension, a retirement age of 75, minimal rail, fire and police cover, etc, etc.

On the bright side, global warming might improve our local climate, as long as you don't live near the coast or a river.

[ January 23, 2003, 17:59: Message edited by: Slappy ]

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Follow your dreams. If you can make a living by living out your dreams, then great. If not, find a way to make them come true while doing something else to pay the bills.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Never eat yellow snow.

Always do what you can, trying to do what you can't will make things worse.

Cool is acting your age doing well in school and out, Cool is not behaving like a spoiled brat, bullying and doing stuff open to older people.

Things get better in the end, but often you have to get lower down to find that end.

Acknowledge rumours and stories about people, but wait until you meet them until you can make your own opinions.

Critisizing on something you could not or would not do is pointless, you can only offer advice and help if it is needed.

If friends are getting you down there is always family, if family are getting you down there is always a forum open.

15. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Be young and have fun, just don't burn down any buildings.

16. Mortensen the Second Banned

[​IMG] Kids today wouldn't listen. More likely to stab you actually... ;)

17. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would tell the kid what my parents told me, "there is always time for a condom".

18. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I was thinking about this, and if I could go back and give advice to myself at age 14, I wouldn't have listened to it.

So the only thing I really can say is if a future version of yourself shows up, look for a wierd kid and a bug eyed old scientist type. If you see them, take the sports almanac and lock it in a bank vault

19. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

too funny, man, too funny.

My one piece of advice: If there is something you are contemplating whether or not to do, that if you do, and a future you comes back in time, that because you did this thing he will want to inflict physical harm on you for your stupidity, that is a good sign not to do it.

Basically, think, idgit.

20. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Amon-Ra, that has to be one of the longest and most incoherent single sentences I've seen on this board. Extra points for only squeezing four commas in there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.