1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An action without consequence

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I won't even say what possibilities I'm going through thinking this. I have a high enough sense of morals and ethics that less than 10% of what I'm thinking, I actually COULD do without suffering from it in my own mind afterwards. Even if others didn't know.

Problem is, I'm not a lawful guy. Of course I follow laws because of my own advantage to some extent. But generally I do and do not do things because it is my own sense of morals that guide me. If I need to break law to do something I perceive is right, then I generally speaking will try and find a way to do so without getting caught. I know the law isn't there to protect me in particular, so there's no reason why I should uphold it in particular either. It's my own life and wellbeing I'm concerned afterall.

Most probable choice would be that I'd take the law in my own hands and go out there to do justice on those that the law will not punish. Not some hardcore criminals and mafiosos, as I'd only get killed in that. But venture out and shoot some gangs out here and there, beat a small reminder to the inconsiderate humans that I see, and so on. There are far too many legalized methods of acting in a criminal sort of way towards other humans, and no-one can make these individuals pay. I would take on that role.

2. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Umm, don't get upset about teekc. Just look at where he's from. :p

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The good thing about net really is that nothing gets taken seriously. Sad things happen, but there's no sense in trying to get every single human grief over every single incident around the world. I don't. There are far too many people in this world for everyone to always understand and respect each other.

To me, when I found that the other one of my parents wasn't really my biological parent at all (at the age of 19, no less), -and they had never told me about it- didn't come as shock at all. It was an interesting refreshing change to my life. I was half something that didn't exist, as far as I'm concerned. It felt as a sparkle of that unique fantasy that I so admire, had touched me. Not every person is of half-unknown heritage.

Same with the WTC towers. I was in the army at the time, a lieutenant told me "now this is how you make a terrorist attack" with a glee in his teeth. Well he was always a bit extraodrinary. But I can say I didn't grief one bit that time. Perhaps a part of me was slightly excited for the possible negative consequences. But I had no friends dying there. Even now I think that these wars that are coming, though stupid, are quite an interesting little change to my life. I don't find anything unacceptable in someone mocking the WTC incident from the other side of the world. It is the problem of those people on the other side of the world where the incident happened if they honestly believe themselves so important that the entire universe should stop and mourn for their loss. That is simply not the case. You can't expect everyone to care, for it would be sick if they did. And as far as honouring goes, not all may want to do that.

I dislike some people, masses in particular. And events like WTC really are nothing more than a point of interest for me, something to keep this life a little less boring. If someday an event should fall on me or my friends that would result in a great loss on my part, I certainly wouldn't care about other people's opinions who had nothing to do with it even. And if I did, I'd recognize it for the human egoistic and self-delusioning trait that it is.

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Breathe.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What the hell is wrong with the fantasy of teekc, it´s not dark, it´s not evil, it´s nothing, any action which everybody here is naming is nothing.

because there´s no action without consequence and no consequence without action

With ramming a 747 to the new twin towers (and yes, big change it will be rammed again, since rebuilding it is the same thing as painting "Ram me!!" on any other American skyscraper) nobody will be hurt, no tower will fall, nothing will happen..
    Its only "dark" and "evil" when it has a consequence

P.S.
    thoughtpolice, ofree speech, "darkiness" and "eviliness" wouldn´t excist if people had common sense

[ January 21, 2003, 13:59: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Thank you, Morgoth, that's the gist of where I was going. If you have a friend who's brother died in a car crash, do you say to him, "Well, he shouldn't have been drinking?" If you know a woman who just had a miscarriage, do you say "Hey, you lost weight - you look great!" No - because of simple consideration for someone else's feelings. What's so tough about that?

Go back and read what I'd do as my "action without consequence" and maybe you'll understand just how "dark" my feelings generally run. Wanton violence and destruction are almost completely alien to me. Anyone who knows me would laugh at the suggestions that I want the world to stop and mourn because of 9/11, or that I think American sensibilities should be of primary importance everywhere.

[ January 21, 2003, 14:47: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

That is all very nice and wonderful for you but we do have freedom of speech here, and Teekc has answered the question as he saw fit. If thats what he would do then that is what he would do, but the point was to answer the question not to start worrying about peoples feelings

8. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think the point that is trying to be reached is that there could be people reding this that may have relatives, friends, etc who might have been fatally involved in something that someone is fantasising about.

Whether you really want to do this thing or not, sometimes it's better to keep your real feeling to yourself and think of something different. Unless, of course, by not letting your feelings out you're going to turn into a meglomaniac because you havent had the appropriate counselling.

9. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

First, I'd kill my maths teacher (she REALLY annoys me!), and then I'd just walk around staring at women :D

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I have never given it much thought, but I think that it would involve a 30-pack of beer, a king-size bed, and an as-of-yet undetermined amount of blonde-haired vixens.

on another note...

Exactly - I have a cousin who almost died in the pentagon that day. It is one thing to fantasize about disturbing things, but it is another to fantasize about something so publicly and obviously disturbing and offensive.

I don't agree with what you say, but, in the end, i suppose that you do have the right to say it.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Rallymama, I´m a little bit tired now and saw that "Thank you, Morgoth" as pure sarcasm, therefore I try to explain that part a little bit further

I think you really misunderstand me, when people had common sense, everybody would understand and respect each other, no nazis genociding jews, gays, negro´s, gypsies, etc. No fundies (fundamentalists) throwing planes at skyscrapers, no hate in the direction of everybody wearing a towel and having a beard of a fist long. No wars about oil..

But then again, I shouldn´t search for common sense in the heart of a human being, any human being, not even me.

P.S.
    If his action really had no consequence, people didn´t got upset when he did it, or at least saying he was going to do it

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Actually, Morgoth, I was being completely sincere. Your explanation wasn't necessary but *is* appreciated, and reinforces the point I/we were trying to make nicely. Truly, I couldn't agree with you more!

It's nice to know that courtesy isn't completely dead.

[ January 21, 2003, 20:52: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

13. Fhirn the Elven Archer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Kill a few spammers. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't face punishment for that anyway. I don't think anyone would have a problem with me murdering a few spammers, hehe. :p

If we could only track those bast*rds down...

14. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Killing Bill G.....no wait my 2000000 pound,dinosaur,stupid,ultra happy grammar teacher.

[ January 21, 2003, 21:32: Message edited by: Khelben ]

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, scrap breathe.

I think i'd opt for being able to spend all my time with my girlfriend (soon to be) and not wory about work or any other outside factors... Just to do that for a year where age and time freeze... After a year let things resume.

Why? Well, being a romantic soul, I could say out of love, but i want the year to establish a ground for love having let ourselves develop with each other. It would also allow me to see if she is the person for me to be with. So yeah, its too do with love.

16. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

(1st choice)
    I would steal all the money in the world and redistribute it to poor people

(2nd choice)
    I would go on a rampage where I would find every famous person who annoys me and beat the hell out of them
    This includes
    -Arnold Schwartzenegger
    -Gilbert Godfrey
    -Carrot Top
    -That airhead from "Buffy the Vamire Slayer"
    -various sports announcers (not Myron Cope through, he is Cool)
    -Sylvester Stallone
    -Tom Hanks
    -Rosanne and her Tubby Hubby
    -Britney Spears (sorry Paddy)
    -Steven Speilberg
    -Julia Roberts
    -Sharon Stone
    -Madonna
    -Michael Jackson

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Kill a lot of random people.
    And laugh insanely while doing it.

:evil:

18. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Nutrimat, what about that guy Jarrod from the Subway commercials?

19. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

@Amon-Ra; Hilarious dude :hahaerr:

Anyway, you say I can't die from it... Then I would switch Tal's avatar with "Gramatical Moron of the week" Plaque :1eye:

[ January 22, 2003, 06:16: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

20. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks mate.

@rally: my only point is this is a topic of freedom of expression. this is a hypothetical where you get to unleash whatever your darkest desire is, be it mortally wounding someone or carrying out an act of violence. as can be seen by many of the responses here, it is in our animal nature to maybe want to do others harm if they've somehow wronged us, but out of civil restraints and pure common sense, we do not say anything about it, let alone carry it out. well, this topic was meant to take that first leash off. say it. that was the point of the topic, and all he was doing was taking the opportunity to express himself. i don't see much wrong with that, even if i don't agree with him.

if this had been a topic that was simply "what would you do if you could do anything" and didn't imply an "action without consequence" than i could see most everyone here restraining themselves and not saying things like ramming a 747 into buildings. as it stands, let freedom ring.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.