1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Backstabbing w/blunt weapons, and ranger (kit) d clerics

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tiamat, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If you have a thief/cleric or a ranger (stalker) d cleric, what is the point of being able to backstab? You can only use blunt weapons, but you *can't* backstab with a blunt weapon.... Is there any cleric weapon you can bacstab with? If you dual-class a stalker to a cleric, the same thing applies. *IS* it worth dual-classing a ranger to a cleric rather than multiclassing? And, in that case, which kit (or lack thereof) is preferable?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

you can't backstab with any cleric weapons, so that would be no-go for backstabbing.

I don't know about a stalker, but dualclassing a ranger to cleric gives you both druid and cleric spells (not all druid spells though), which can be rather usefull.

Though I would advise a fighter cleric instead of a ranger cleric.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 08, 2001).]

3. Tiamat Gems: 17/31

So, first of all, thief/clerics are useless, then? And, second of all, which druid spells do ranger/clerics not receive?

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

I think rangers recieve spell levels up to 4 (but it might be 3). I'm not sure. So the obvious answer would be all spells belonging to higher level than 3 or 4(following the druid spell table).

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 08, 2001).]

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Wrong. Cleric/Rangers get all of the Driud and Cleric spells.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

[​IMG] what! that has to be a game flaw. I surely hope this doesn't apply to the normal p&p rules

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31

Maybe it's a bug, but they *do* continue to gain Druid spells even after the ranger side doesn't get any new spell slots.

8. Silverblade Guest

Ranger (druid) spells only go up level 3, you can't cast level 4 druid spells with a ranger. And Tiamat, cleric/thief aren't useless just because they can't backstab, I think it is a pretty powerfull class.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited September 08, 2001).]

9. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

You know my DC/RC will have something to say about this:

"Greeting fair people of the SP message boards. I am a dual class Ranger/Cleric dualed at level 10, I am indeed able to cast all cleric and druid spells levels 1-7. My roots are grounded in nature so there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to use druid spells. Have a problem with this? I can schedule an appointment for you with either Crom Faeyr or the Fail of Ages, or perhaps you'd like to meet Skullcrusher" ;) :D :p

-Corwin Dellalt, DC/RC

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not an expert on backstabbing, but I thought you could backstab with any weapon a thief can use. So doesn't that include clubs and staves that Clerics can use?

11. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I did not try myself, but I suppose that you should backstab with a staff spear (there are some in the game). A cleric could use it, and is a blade weapon.

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    On Backstabbing weapons ;)

Weapons suitable for backstabbing are in generall *bladed* weapons (of relatively small size) only.
    :( I always found the lack of a thug-kit for thiefs regrettable (including a backslap ability using clubs as an alternative to pickpocketing and backstabbing). Looting the unconsious victim would be fairly easy :D The character must be of int & wis below 6 and of evil alignment :D but this is getting off topic ...

So in short, backstabbing is possible with:
    -daggers
    -shortswords
    -scimitars (including wakizashis & ninja-tos)
    -longswords
    -katanas
    and that's it.

13. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

The above is bad information. I have tested this thing because I was interested in a MC 1/2 orc thief/cleric and you certainly CAN backstab with a quarterstaff. You cannot backstab with a hammer or a morningstar/flail. I forgot to try the club, but the quarterstaff works and that was good enough. By the by, this character combo was also able to use darts and as far as I know, is the only cleric combination that can do so. (druids excluded)

On a separate note, when during another test....a F/M/T found that a wakizashi was NOT suitable for backstabbing...your milage may vary and I would like to hear about it...preferably from actual tests and not hearsay like the above posts.

[This message has been edited by Subra (edited September 08, 2001).]

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

backstabbing with a quarterstaff? now thats an art form in itself!

15. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I don't know, Ragusa is the man when it comes to thieves. Are you sure you backstabbed with a staff??? That is whack even if you did. An art indeed, what do you hold it high vertically over your head and plunge the blunt end into somebody's back?!?! :rolleyes:

16. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

With all due respect to Ragusa, a thief (including multi and dual-classed thieves) can backstab with *all* melee weapons available to a generic thief. This most certainly includes the quarterstaff.

It is easy enough to test this - just start a new game as a thief, grab the quarterstaff and try it out on the mephit in the hall N of where you find the quarterstaff. You might want to save first in case you miss. :)

17. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Valygar had Belm (a scimitar) in his off hand once and it said he was unable to backstab because of an unsuitable weapon. He switched it for another katana and backstabbed no problem.

So it seems like scimitars don't work for backstabbing in BG2. (Which, given that scimitars are heavily curved slashing weapons, sort of makes sense--but it's weird if that winds up applying to ninja-to, which actually were *used* for backstabbing IIRC...)

Oh, and I almost forgot, but that cleric-thief in Drizzt's party kept trying to backstab me with a mace or hammer or something the time I attacked them--and getting the "unsuitable weapon" message, over and over! *laughs* What a moron...

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited September 09, 2001).]

18. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You CAN forget about backstabbing with a thief but you can use the other abilities!!
    You can get the bounty Hunter kit for the traps and skills, or you can use the swashbuckler kit and put two points into quarterstaff, club, or any other fighting skill (i.e. sword and shield, single weapon, etc.)

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Backstabbing with a staff .... you don't, by any chance, mean the staff spear +2 from Xzar's body ? Well, that's what I thought first <sigh>

Well, I never even tried to "stab" someone or something with a *blunt* instrument, that seemed neither possible nor plausible to me ... clubs and quarterstaffs ... why not stakes and sticks ?

Alas, so you kids found a new bug within BG-2, congratulations. To my discontentment I had to see that it works when I checked it out with one of my saved thievs in Irenicus' s dungeon :( Considering this bug the cleric-thief will be able to be pretty powerful ... enjoy your char backpunching and backhitting his enmies with clubs and quarterstaffs :rolleyes: No self-respecting thief will use a staff or a club ... :mad: for BACKSTABBING :mad:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited September 09, 2001).]

20. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I get pissed off about using a staff to backstab... :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.