1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

America and Korea

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Erebus, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A simple question, do youi think it was right for America to not only call N. Korea a Rogue state, but cut off all oil shipments to them as well?

Personally I think not. Calling a country a terrorist state is not a helpful way to to keep the piece. And George W. Bush not only called N. Korea a Rogue State, but also tried to bring S. Korea and N. Korea further apart.

And cutting off any aid to a famine stricken country does not look good. Not only are you breaking the frameworks agreemant, but also causing an inhumane act. Of course America won't get into to much trouble for human rights violations, because they practically own Amnesty Inc. So tell me your views.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know enough about the agreements that were made some time back to comment exactly on who should be doing what etc, but for N Korea to resign from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty is certainly not helping the situation.

Sure, the idea is obviously to make a point, and directly of course they are no threat to the US. In the current climate just a very bad taste and probably emotional decission.

To say that the US Government is being inhumane by withdrawing aid, well, exactly how do the US *owe* this aid? Lets compare North and South here. The South have some economic problems of their own, but the North is effectively bust. Now who's fault is that if not the function of a misguided communist regime which have run the country into the ground with the sort of bravado that put paid to the Soviet Union?

So, since the US cannot be held responsible for the fact that Communism does not work as an economic model, exactly how are they to blame?

Aid is voluntary and carries some responsibility on the part receiving it. Right now they don't want to play by those rules, so why should they receive this aid?

Just a couple of pennies worth.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, North Korea IS a rogue state...

And, yes, I believe it was right to cut off the shipments of fuel oil as well.

Do you know why the US was making these shipments as well a helping build light water nuclear reactors for North Korea? Because a few years ago they pulled the same kind of nuclear brinkmanship.

To get them to shut down their nuclear plant (which was being used as a source for plutonium for their nuclear weapons program) and stop their nuclear weapons research the US and others decided to build them safer (with respect to being able to get weapons grade material out of them) nuclear reactors, and while they were being built, supply them with fuel oil for their energy needs.

Then what did we find out recently? That they were secretly enriching uranium and continuing a clandestine nuclear weapons program. So since the aid we were giving them was so that they wouldn't pursue nuclear weapons technology, we stopped the shipments until they agreed to abide by the terms of the previous agreement.

What did North Korea do instead? Scrapped the agreement and even withdrew from the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

A rogue state most definitely.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have to agree with BTA. Sure, North Korea is an independent country - but it is a country that cheerfully has kidnapped japanese and south korean citizens - to get first hand in country info and language training for their spys and special forces. Peacetime or not, North Korea regularly digs tunnels under the DMZ, direction south korea, to infiltrate Skys and Special Forces. And whenever North Korea again is in financial and economic trouble they start their jolly missile tests - direction Japan.
    North Korea has a huge military, one of the four largest in the world. North Korea only doesn't collapses because of the foreign support it scares out of its neighbours and the rest of the world. When they run out of food or money, North-Korea fires a few missiles over Japan, and mentions that it is still working on a nuke program - to get some aid in response. That went on for all over the 90s well into this century. North Korea is ultimately a bully state.

North Korea's nuke program is a serious threat to the local stability. A North-Korea with nukes and longer range missiles will most certainly scare Japan into aquiring nukes itself to be able to defend against North-Korea - Japan has the nuclear and missile technology needed and could do so very quick. *TWO* more nuclear armed countries is certainly not what the world needs. Alternatively the US could of course expand their "nuclear umbrella" over Japan. The lack of trust in that though, made france to start their own program. Credibility and reliability is unavoidable here.

When the US confront North-Korea that is in the best interest of the region, including even that of the rival China. The South China Sea and it's unsolved territorial disputes is a troublespot bad enough without nukes. It is, considering the possible cathastrophic effects of an escalation, not only for the people there but also for world economy (imagine nukes on South Korea and Japan - that won't only affect HiFi and car prices), in the interest of the US as well of the rest of the world, to keep the numbers of nuclear armed countries as low as possible. North Korea must be stopped!

[ January 14, 2003, 17:38: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

5. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How exactly is Bush to blame for driving the North and South Korean nations apart? I don't see that. Quite the reverse, since South Korea is scared silly by the North waving their No Dong around. I can't imagine anything driving the Koreas further apart than the North declaring an intention to nuke. :confused:

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. North Korea doesn't have to threaten the South with nukes. Seoul is within artillery range of the North side of the DMZ. They could flatten Seoul any time they wanted.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I know, but who knows that they would do when desperate? North Korea is probably the least reliable and predictable regiemes in the world.

8. Viking Gems: 19/31

Instead it's Iraq we're hounding down/going to war with etc, because he might be atempting to do what the N Koreans have been doing for years....

Good innit?

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    We are hounding the North Koreans just as much. North Korea is a more delicate situation than Iraq though. As I stated above, the capital of South Korea is within shelling distance. North Korea has more advanced missile technology (and more missiles). It is more certain that they have at least a few nuclear weapons. North Koreans are poised to flee to China which China certainly doesn't want.

So, for now, diplomacy is the route that is being taken with North Korea. Diplomacy is where we started with Iraq, and we are still in that mode; no war has started yet.

[ January 14, 2003, 20:41: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Consider also that North Korea has no bargaining chips: no industry or resources of interest to the world. What have they got to lose by going rogue? There's no economy to embargo, just aid to be cut. The American petroleum industry has too much to lose if things come to this stage in Iraq, not to mention too many strings into the White House to LET it get to this stage in the first place.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think we're seeing the dawn of the WW3.
    It was a pleasure to know you all, I love you all, and I'm saying this now because it may happen that I'm not able to say it in the future because of ONLY FEW cretins.

I called noone a threat or something and I certainly don't have nukes in my courtyard. Some people do. Only few of them. I guess someone is bored with unused nukes so I must write this pathetic post. So be it.
    But this time I hope that imbeciles with powers to order things and their minions (mass murderers) will also die in the process.

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Extremist might be quite right.
    It is possible that the North Korean leaders have gone utterly mad. There is absolutely no good intentions in what they are doing. Not even to their own people. There is no sense at all. Perhaps they just pulled the plug (no pun intended) to sanity (no pun intended again); And said. Screw you guys, it can only get better.

But a WW3? ok might happen. I just can't figure out the connections even in a worse case scenario. Ok I can make a far far fetched one. But I can do so with UFO's too.

[ January 14, 2003, 21:28: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

13. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I heard an interesting interview on National Public Radio with a reporter who talked about the Republican desire to have a "war" presidency, which makes it much easier to get re-elected in spite of economic chaos, etc.

The problem with this is North Korea saw us talking war with Iraq over the POSSIBILITY of a nuclear program. Needless to say, this upset them. After all, if we would invade a sovereign nation that MIGHT have weapons of mass destruction, what are we going to do about one that definately has an illegal weapons program? Especially one so dependant on our oil & food?

I'm not saying the DPRK is in the right here. They are an extremely oppressive and deviant regime. But they have good cause to be worried based on what is happening in Iraq.

I just wonder how much of this is because of what we are doing elsewhere. The most depressing part of this interview was the calls they took afterwards, where almost everyone supported tactical strikes on the Korean nuclear facilities. On what is normally a very liberal show.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I would have to say that the timing may be due to North Korea thinking the US is tied up with Iraq, but this kind of nuclear brinkmanship from them is par for the course.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How well did the war presidency serve Bush, Sr.? I've seen fairly reliable statistics that tie presidents' reelections to the way the economy is going much more than any war.

16. Ulicus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"I think we're seeing the dawn of the WW3."

WW3 wouldn't feel right if the German's weren't the enemy... Can't we call it Global War 1 or something?(jk)

It wouldn't be much of a war anyway.

*Saddam, on verge of losing* Oh f**k it! I'm sending the nukes over to the USA.

*USA see nukes* Sweet Jesus! We didn't think that he REALLY had weapons of mass destruction!
    *USA lanch own nukes in response*

*Britain sees this going on*
    Tony Blair- "NO! America can't nuke the world on its own! lets jump in and help!" *Launches several nukes*

*Every other country with nukes launches them*

The entire world is destroyed except for Japan, who poured all the money that other countires put into Nuclear weapons into a giant technological device that launches Japan into space surrounded by a giant air bubble. They land on Mars and live in peace and harmony after terraforming the planet and listen to the poem, "No more Hiroshimas" and laugh at the ex-Earth's stupidity.

The end.

[ January 26, 2003, 13:57: Message edited by: Ulicus ]

17. Laches Gems: 19/31

The internet is a poor form of communication. It is difficult to determine when someone is being sarcastic, satirical etc and when someone is just being foolish. On the off chance that in this case it is the latter, I'll just point out that while it is possible I suppose that Iraq has a functional nuclear weapon or possibly even two we know they don't have a delivery system capable of making it to Europe let alone the United States. Korea also lacks such a delivery system as do Pakistan and India.

China, Russia etc are of course a different story. But then, China and Russia are more than stable enough to know it is in their own best intersts to avoid such a war -- that'd hurt China's favored nations trading staus : )

[ January 27, 2003, 07:54: Message edited by: Laches ]

18. Ulicus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"The internet is a poor form of communication. It is difficult to determine when someone is being sarcastic, satirical etc and when someone is just being foolish."

Oh, that... sorry, it was very poor 'satire' of the foolish bent. I'm against Nuclear weapons you see... however since almost everybody has them now I realise that trying to get everyone to disarm is pointless. Well, at least you gave me an intelligent and polite insult. Thankyou :)

19. Laches Gems: 19/31

Sorry Ulicius, it wasn't meant to be an insult. Ok, maybe just a conditional one : ) But since you were being satirical and not foolish the condition wasn't met : )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.