1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Two Towers Protest

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sir Dargorn, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Please read this:

http://www.twotowersprotest.org/index.html

"We believe that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema's actions are in fact hate speech. The movie is intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11."

Can you believce the stupidity of this site? Yes the Trade centre events were tragic but this just takes sensitivity to another level. And before you ask, this really is real. Thankyou Uluk for showing me this.

Oh and btw here is the parody site:
    http://www.theofficersclub.com/rotkpo/

Please give opinions.

2. Uluk the Armripper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yep. However, it's entirely possible that the first one is a fake too (hardly)...

Anyways I personally didn't even connect the two events with each other until I saw those two links. Like I said to Sir Dargorn in #sorcerers any reasonable people realize that quote right there is just pure bs.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yay. More opinions to mock and bash around.

Can't we just leave these people alone? They're not going to make a difference in delaying The Two Towers, and they're all going to simply protest about it - and few will listen. But no need to mock them about it. Sheesh.

4. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually this is where you may be wrong. After reading over some petitions at petition online.com i have discovered that there are a great deal of signitures, not just to change the title but ban the film entirely, there is even a petition to totally ban the book, which also has a surprising amount of support.

5. Vince Clortho Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] What idiots. :doh: That parody site was great, though. I'll sign a petition regarding the utter inanity of the original site. I'll be the first on the list! INANE. Sincerely, RSH/VC

6. Upidstay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Unfortunately, there is never a shortage of zealots in the world. Apparently the people who started the petitions have never read the book or seen the movie, or simply missed the message of hope. Nor did they see the message of diverse peoples overcoming their natural distrust and animosity towards each other in order to fight evil.
    Wow!! That was good. Somebody get me a soap box quick!!!

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] *Sigh*

You know what the worst thing is? That site gets more hits on the front page than SP does. And they have a banner on every page and a popup. So not only are they showing the whole world their idiocy, they're cashing in on it very well, with a whole of 5 pages of short clips of text. In short, their domain name alone brings them so many hits in search engines they must make a minimum of $200 bucks a month just with advertising. So take my advice, don't even load that site. The only thing you need to know about it is the clip Sir Dargorn posted. It is essentially, the whole content of that site.

They don't deserve your attention, truly. Nor to make money off of the tragedy of 9/11, or by abusing Tolkien's work.

[ January 05, 2003, 18:52: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I bow to your wisdom, Taluntain.

I believe the guys deserve a trial as well, not only public acknowledgment of their idiocy. 'Intentionally named' after a book the movie is based on, I believe?

In TeamBG forum a man told me Tolkien has recently been criticised for not including *certain things* in his book. Certain things comprise homosexual relations among others.

9. Darth_Moorezo Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I am outraged at what the people above are doing not only have they riddiculed a great film but they also seem to think that the writers gave the film the name "the two towers" because of 9/11 when the books where writen way before 9/11.

also (to the authors of the offending site) YOU ARE SCUM.... I VERRY MUCH DOUBT THAT YOU HAVE SPENT A GREAT DEAL OF YOUR POINTLESS LIFE WRITING A BOOK AS TOKIN DID, SO THAT PEOPLE CAN GET SOME ENJOYMENT FROM READING IT...I SUGGEST YOU TRY READING IT JUST TO SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES THEN WHEN YOUR DONE THINK ABOUT THE FACT THAT IT TOOK TEN TIMES ASLONG TO WRITE, AND AFTER TOLKIN DID ALL OF THAT A SCUM BAG LIKE YOU COMES ALONG AND MAKE A SILLY FUSS....IN FACT I BELEVE THAT IF ANYONE IS BEING INSENSITIVE ABOUT 9/11 IT'S YOU

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    What Next they will make a petition too Bane the word Tower in the dictionnary?!, indeed the eleven september was tragic, but pull yourself! The two TOWER isn't in same World, and it's was writing in the 30s-40s WAY before the 9/11 happen... What will you want to call the movie?! The "Two Big building that look like a tower but isn't" Now that PATHETIC... :bang: :bang:

Taluntain your word are of great wisdom... :thumb:

[ January 05, 2003, 20:30: Message edited by: Dungeon_Master ]

11. chevalier

Media:
    Again my support. They are pervishly making money on the feelings they falsely claim to defend.

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] :rolleyes: I think people should stop having babies. Because some of those babies may grow up to be the next Hitler or Bin Laden. I think the world would be a much safer place without people.

Tal - can you please add a page to the site that promotes the cessation of procreation in the world. I think everyone agrees we'd be a lot better off. Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I'd already heard of stuff like that going last year. My first reaction was laughter thinking it was indeed a joke. When I finally got shown it wasn't I thought how stupid can people be?
    Lets ban Shakespears work because there was peadophilia in it, let's bad William Golding's novels because it encourages children to kill each other. :rolleyes: Let's just either ignore these idiots, or start a counter petition about this and show the world their ignorance and shame these illiterate, ignorant, holier than thou political correctness shoving down throats retarded monkeys. : :mad: :flaming:

As I'm not actually going to 'grace' that idiotic site with a hit from me, anyone happen to notice a contact email address for proper correspondance with them? I promise not to use big words ;)

(Edit:) Oh, BTW, does this mean my mum, being a great Elvis fan could start a campaign to get the thrid film banned? ;) :p

[ January 05, 2003, 21:30: Message edited by: Vermillion ]

14. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

You crazy-ass tower-banning dudes:

It happened. It may have been tragic, but trying in vain to ignore it is just pathetic. History is there to be learned from, not ignored.

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Dear lord, can humanity get any stupider? This pathetic attempt to cash in on such a tragedy literally sickens me to my stomach. Although the parody was very well done. :)

[ January 05, 2003, 23:29: Message edited by: Kam ]

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Sir Belisarius, your humorous post hits right on. If we started banning everything like these fools want to do, why not simply ban talking, because terrorists talk to each other.

Those guys are simply a bunch of fools attempting to make a quick buck with an idiotic protest.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

These people are just sad, though the parody was interesting :rolling:

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Geeze it's not like they are called the twintowers in the movie, now if there were like middle earth zeppelin aircrafts crashing in the towers both at the same time (o.k. a little time in between) and with the fellowship abandoning their quest (well sauron was in that tower so he is dead) to hunt down Osmeagola bin Gollum in the caverns of moria. Now if that would have happened in the movie they would have a point.

It didn't BTW :rolleyes: :D

19. chevalier

Media:
    Why not ban the Holy Bible then? God negotiates with Satan, brother kills brother, references to sexual aspect of love are also present. Drinking wine is shown as good as well as using other fruits of life... Women are being discriminated many a time, homosexual intercourse is condemned as well as other perversies...

But let's come back to towers. Two like two but I wonder when someone will start picking at me about the nick.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Don't try to mail them unless you have a separate account for spam on Hotmail or something similar. I'm sure they're selling out valid mail accounts to spammers whenever they get any "fan" mail.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.