1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Human Being

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoth, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    A little philosophical question:

What defines a human being, what makes me, you, the other 6 billion people on this planet unique??

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] what makes us unique is 0.5% of our genes.

You could well ask "what defines a cat?"

People may think we are the most complex being ruling over all other animals and creatures. But I find this is not the case.

Humans are the only animal that have grasped the concepts of grouping together and constructing things to make our lives easier -often at the expense othe other animals though.

Beliefs, weather, family, friends, thoughts, aims, achievents, love, suffering, wealth. These help define who we are, what makes us 'Human' perhaps. There are many arguments on what make us human. Some may say how we were created, some would say how we evolved, some would say how we live.

This should be an interesting topic ;)

3. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] People talk. Cats meow

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Just because we don't understand how cats talk doesn't mean they don't - that's like saying French don't talk because I don't understand them

5. Morgoth

Media:
    You didnĀ“t quit get me 8people, so I reform the question:

What makes me, you, another person unique from the other 6 billion humans?

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A soul.

/me runs for cover as the tomatoes and other rotten fruit are hurled at him.

7. Fhirn the Elven Archer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I personally don't believe in the existence of a soul so I disagree with you, C'Jakob

What makes us unique is our mind and way of thinking/character as well as appearance that no other person can have. It consists of an extremely enourmous number of random (?) factors that make it impossible for two people to end up with the same combination.

That's what I think

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I imagine if we studied two of any other species, we would find plenty of differences, despite the fact that they are of the same species. We could look for differences between any two members of any specides, and they would all be different. I think that it is only because we ourselves are human we notice all the difference between human and human.

9. Morgoth

Media:
    So picture this, if we copied a human being, as in physical as in mind.

Would it then still be the same person?

10. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] If an extremely enormous number of random factors being coincident is impossible, then evolution by the same argument is impossible.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree with C'Jakob.

/me hurles tomatoes, rotten fruit, spoiled eggs and cowdy at anyone who disagrees :shake:

12. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

How is an extremely large number of random factors being coincident impossible? It is just as possible as any other set of extremely large number of random factors. Say I roll a die, d12 to be precise. There is only a 1 out of 12 chance that i could get a 3. Does that mean 3 is impossible? There is also only a 1 out of 12 chance i could get a 7. So if there is a 1 out of 99^(99^(99^99)) chance that any given random thing could happen, then each given random thing has the same chance of happening. It is only a matter of happenstance (coincidence) that thing #whatever happened.

As to the topic- what makes us individual is the fourth dimension. Even if we could plausibly clone the mind and body, two individuals could not occupy the exact same space at the same time, and therefore could not hear the same sounds, see the same sights, or at least not quite the same. From their inception, they would already differ if only on the basis of location. From here the number of divergences could only grow. I am an individual because of everything I've done. My genetics, my mind, all of those things can be plausibly copied, but no one has done has or can do the same things I do. Ever.

Amon-Ra

13. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Memory makes us unique. Basically, I agree with Amon-Ra.

[ January 03, 2003, 04:55: Message edited by: TheBlackRose ]

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Beer.

Beer makes us unique.

NO one else on the planet makes beer. Certainly not in kegs, and certainly not cold filtered.

Beer is the answer you're looking for.

15. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, beer and cheap wine coolers. And feeling the need to add 'toys' to stimulate sex. How many squirrels are there that you know of that go up to the squirrly that they think is a hottie and say "Hey sweetcakes. How's about you plug that puppy in and we'll see what we can do with it?"

But, to get back on topic, I have to agree with the idea that each person's memory and life experience make them unique. No two people go through exactly the same experiences at exactly the same time for their entire lives, and that's what seperates one person from another. I also feel that's why people who tend to have similar life experiences and memories tend to feel connected to one another. And that's why many of the truly close and loving relationships that I have known of have two people that have gone through many of the same things. It's the closest you can get to being the same person.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Anyone read Boys from Brazil recently?

17. Morgoth

Media:
    Two cloned children, a nanosecond old, had no time to hear, see, feel, know. So basically their mind is the same in the first nanosecond. In that time, are they the same?
    "No" you say, so their is one difference, maybe something the society refers to as "soul", or maybe the really are the same but your unconcious tells you different because your logic tells you otherwise

[ January 03, 2003, 13:01: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

18. Deepsea Anglerfish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

genetical, social, cultural
    the way we grow up
    the way we are moulded by our parents, teachers, friend, idol, religion
    everyone is a bit different right after birth, it is the what we experienced during lives made we unique...

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We are featherless bipeds. ;)

Socrates refuted that definition of humanity by throwing a plucked chicken into the room of the "philosopher" promoting that idea.

20. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Memory does make a person unique, but I think that a lot of people do underestimate the power of nature over nurture. Science has shown that genetics does contribute a huge part of our behavior and personality even with memories and experiences. Of course, time does change every person, but I don't think it can be taken to a universal extent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.