1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What Will The World Be Like In Ten Years?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jorgon, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] With all this free-speech stuff and all the concentration of world military power, the furture seems bleak. Ten years from now, I hope to rule the world.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What Will The World Be Like In Ten Years? (43 votes.)

Will there be more than 1 super-power? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 47% (20)
    * No. - 35% (15)
    * No. There will be no super-powers. - 19% (8)

Will Europe be a police state? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 37% (16)
    * No. - 63% (27)

Will we be on the eve or a nuclear cataclysm? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 12% (5)
    * No. - 44% (19)
    * It will have already happened. - 19% (8)
    * No, but a major world revolution is. - 26% (11)

Have you read "1984"? Your thoughts? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 40% (17)
    * No. - 60% (26)

Will I be supreme ruler of Earth? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 2% (1)
    * No. - 63% (27)
    * Just of your home country. - 0% (0)
    * Can I be your right-hand man (or woman). - 35% (15)

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Jorgan, you will not rule the world as I have already twarted your plan to rule the world and indeed I shall be ruling the world using a puppet dictator to take the fall for 'things' that will make the world a better place. If you're very nice to me however I may let you rule some out of the way place.

On topic now ;) I think the world will be a very different place. Either there'll still be a lot of conflict going on stemming from current events now and governments using it as an excuse to clamp down on freedom, or we will have a 1984 situation where the war is 'still going on' and we think we are free. Oh and big ol' jawaj dubyuaa will use all this as an excuse to rule the US forever. Frankly you people are better off under me, you'll only lose certain 'rights' temporarily while I get the world straightened out :grin:

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Judging by how the world is today, I'd say we're screwed. And there is no way in hell that you are ruling anything, well maybe over your trash can in the alley but not of anything important :p

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Let me just say that we are way overdue for a mass extinction.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I ten years I will have mastered my phsichic abilities!!! Muaahaha!

Honestly I think that in ten years time I'll view the world in the same way differently and see that life sucks in a whole new respect :xx:

In ten years Pink and red will probably be the *in* colours, Tony blair will be replaced with someone who is more of a geek and bush will be replaced with a lower IQ, people will be super-intelligent led by morons wearing Jeans and t-shirts and looking so old fashioned. Language will be replaced with slang and SP will be filled with people going "I remember First edition D&D - not this seventh edition malarky." ;)

6. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I see the world in ten years being full of violence and conflict. However, I see this only in certain areas of the world (the Middle East for example.)
    On the flip side, in more "civilized" areas of the world technology will continue to progress (especially with computers.) All of us here who post on the SP boards can say "remember the days when computers only had gigabytes for storage capasity on the hard drive, and man! those 3 gigahertz processors were slow."

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well the futures bleak, the futures not orange :heh: Before i comment on my feelings on this topic i will comment on the poll. "Will I (Jorgan) be ruler of the world?" No-one voted for Yes. So even jorgan doesn't think he/she will be ruler of the world, so basically you ain't got a chance mate :p

Now on topic. The way things are going it looks very likely that there will be another world war in which the majority of the world will suffer the effects of chemical and nuclear weaponry. Perhaps we all end up as in John Wyndhams (sp?) book the Chrysallids in the aftermath of a nuclear war back to primitive roots of farming and basic ways of killing people - clubs and sharp objects, but not just having someone press a button and watch as the missiles fly. Icarus alsorts (a poem i had to study in english) is about such an occurence and any who have read it will know what im on about (well probably :confused: i don't make to much sense sometimes :confused: )

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What changed over the last 10 years? The EU arose, but that doesn't really appear to have significantly altered the dynamics of the world. The members of the EU still generally go their own way politically. 9/11 happened; but, to most of the world that is remote and even its aftermath is being tempered. That's not to say that the US won't take out its aggressions on Iraq, quite the contrary. But, 10 years ago, the US had just taken out its aggressions on Iraq. Deja vu all over again.

Who's going to be the next superpower? Put more bluntly, who's going to be dumb enough to dump a disproportionate amount of resources into arms build-up? -- I assume that your definition of super-power is primarily one of armed might and not economic might.

The Middle East will still be a seething cauldron of hate and violence, which will make it different from the last 50+ years in what way? Israel will still exist, the arabs will still hate the Israelis, the creation of lack thereof of a Palestinian state won't make a bloody difference. The truly shocking thing would be if some country in the Middle East actually developed a working authentic democratic from of government. Turkey is iffy at best and Iran appears to have the best chance of the rest of the Islamic states. Good luck to all of them.

I just don't see all that much changing barring an escalation of the Iraq controversy. Now, having said that, I sure as heck believe that, if handled incorrectly, Iraq can escalate into a major global confrontation. However, the politicians seem to be firmly in control of this one (whether for good or ill), so who's to say how big the escalation will be? That's the wild card.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The future's so bright ... I gotta wear them shades.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm still hoping for Jetson's style cars!!!

11. Jorgon Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Anyways, I just voted.
    @Atreides
    Can you say terabytes? Or maybe even quantum computers that make a gigahertz look like a single hertz?

Regardless, I have a pet theory that, in a basic sense, history repeats itself. One hundred years ago, what was the US specifically doing? Fighting Maori(moslem) tribesman in the Phillipines. The US is also fighting moslems now. Before that, America had the Barbary incident where Stephen Decatur raided Tripoli(which is moslem) and freed several American captives. Every hundred years or so is a major military break-through as well. In the 1950's the jet bomber and ICBM were the big break-through. In the 1850's the gatling gun and first tactical use of railroads in the Prussians campaign against the Asutrians. 1750's was the Kentucky long rifle and first major use of guerilla tactics(French and Indian war). Proxy conflicts always signal the demise of a major power as well. The Britain/France stuff in the 1700's signalled the end of French power. The US/Soviet conflicts signalled the end of Soviet power. Now, these examples only go back 250 years, but the time period between events increases the further back in time you go because inoovation is like a rolling stone. How long did it take to get a gigahertz computer? Already we have 3 gigahertz computers! Smart guns are in development, monkeys can communicate through use of a keyboard, we can sometimes make it snow, people have artificial hearts, we've unlocked the human genome, etc. This process can only speed up.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

there will be two major superpowers:

United Europan States and USA...

they will continue the imperalism that USA have begun... it will be a police state, yes and will be like a new USA... USA will control the Middle-East and Europe will have some small countrys in Africa...

a dark future indeed...

BTW - haven't read 1984

13. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

we crazy humans have been on the verge of extinguishing ourselves since the caveman held a club in his hand. It is a waste of energy to worry over the worlds future, we only can control so much in our lives. The rest is a matter of faith, hope or trust.

the future is full of possiblities...

Before me lays an open highway and many roads yet untraveled; I don't plan on running out of gas any time soon!

[ December 24, 2002, 23:42: Message edited by: scarampella ]

14. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, unless George Warmonger Bush destroys the world prematurely with nuclear weapons within the next year or so over his petty personal vendetta of finishing the failings of his father to assassinate Saddam Hussain started by his daddy, in a desperate attempt to control his own oil yards and help stabilise the USA's failing economy, in ten years time, the Illuminati (the REAL power behind those you think are in power) will come to the forefront more and rule supreme!

15. Jorgon Gems: 4/31

@ Komei
    Who, or what, is the Illuminati?

@Scarampella
    Some people do try to micro-manage their future, and even the events that happen around them. The first part is possible, with much mental strength. The other part, events around you, is nearly impossible. The closest anyone ever came was Napoleon, I believe. His mere presence on the battle field gave his army a chance, Wellington once remarked that Napoleon is worth 20k men on the field. Through what seemed was sheer force of will, he would rally his troops or change plans to win. It's late however, Santa may be coming.

So have a MERRY CHRISTMAS. Goodnight.

16. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] The Illuminati are a supposidly secret organisation that manipulates the world to their will and are suppposedly the world elite and control the whole world. A whole load of conspiracy theories revolve this organisation so it shouldn't be too hard to find out about them.

17. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Jorgon, yes I know, people do try to micro manage, and it doesn't do much besides cause them and those around them a lot of stress. Napolean on the other hand is what I would call a great leader. With enough belief in oneself, enough strength of purpose and a vision, a person can lead others. We need people like this, unfortunately sometimes these people are not farsighted in their vision. We humans are tribal, herd-like in a way and in that we find many characters circling our numbers.

18. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

According to reliable sources Colonel Sanders is on a board of twelve, who ar ruling the world and make you crave his chicken fortnightly. :grin:

19. Mortensen Banned

Hopefully someone will blow up the entire world and we won't have to worry about it. The world sucks:(

20. Jorgon Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] I heartily agree, scarampella. Especially Americans. They love clubs and org.'s and such. Look at Augusta, Boy/Girl Scouts, Sierra, Car clubs, etc. It's nice to hang out with people like yourself, but it is also good, and also a learning experience to hang out with others who are different, but you also get along.

Now, about the Illuminati. I gotta go look that up. Sorry, but it just sounds so far-fetched to be true, but if it is, well then I gotta go figure out how to infiltrate their order and change stuff :D . Hah. I will. Watch me. If you wanna help, lemme know.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.