1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite historical hero?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jesper898, Oct 9, 2002.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, my recollection is that Steve Jobs or Steve Woziak (I forget which) lifted the mouse/window OS that they used for mac straight out of the Xerox labs with those fools not even realizing what they had. Thus, the rise of Apple. The fact that Jobs and Wozniak were garage inventors with a serious deficiency in business acumen (compared to, say, Wild Bill Gates) is why we're mostly not using mac's (except my wife and other artist types who swear by the things -- I mock her mercilessly, of course, especially when the thing just decides for no reason that it isn't going to print or let her do anything). Thus, the fall (essentially) of Apple.

My contribution to the list -- the first person who figured out the wheel. (And yes, I'm serious. He or she is a lot more heroic in my view than anyone who killed a lot of people (or ordered others to do the killing), whether or not you agree with any of their political views.) My life is a heck of a lot better due to the wheel (and that inventor's progeny in spirit, the various people who invented and developed everything material that I hold dear).

2. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The odd thing about it all, is the fact that the question is about historical heroes, and with all these wonderful, noble people everyone else keeps mentioning, I can only seem to think of: Sherlock Holmes and Jeremy Brett. Who I've long suspected to be the same person. Okay, I admit it, I'm a slave to visual entertainment. Ohh, I thought of another one: Erik. You know, the Phantom of the Opera? I'm gonna lie down and think of some real people now. I'll get back to you.

3. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have one. Sun Tzu. He was a great man, a being of pure wisdom and skill. From the time of his death on, his teachings in the Art of War have been studied by the great generals and emporers of the East, and many in Europe a while later. His teachings are powerful, not on the surface (while a great book on war stradegy) but on life. Everything written can be applied to one's everyday life and used to better one's social environment.

I have one beef however. So many people think that Sun Tzu advocated war, and that his very essence was dedicated to it. Not true. He hated war, he despised the endless death that resulted from it, and sought to abolish it by hiding certain messages within his books (most specifically the Art of War) that before battles, terms of agreement should be discussed by opposing generals in an orderly, gentleman like way so as to stop needless destruction. This is a great feat. But on that list of the people reasponsible for the most deaths in history, he would be at the top. Because of his teachings, the chinese and japanese were far more efficient in battle, and found more efficient ways of killing even more people. While his influence in the west was less, he was still held in high regard by a select few. Indirectly, his misunderstood teachings have become the most violent and cruel war machine in human history.

[ January 03, 2003, 09:06: Message edited by: Lord Neon ]

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I'll not post my top yet, as I've got to give it some thought. But I'm surprised at the number of people who mentioned Robert E. Lee and no one talks about Stonewall Jackson! Maybe later I'll link some resources so y'all can read about this amazing man.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    A "few" *ahem* additions

1. Immanuel Kant, greatest mind of the last few centuries
    2. The Buddha (Siddharta Gautama) bringer of wisdom
    3. Koeng-foe-tse (Confusius), most influent person in the world of philosphy
    4. Temuchin (Djengis Khan), lead an army to conquer most of asia, between China and Poland.
    5. Friedrich Nietzsche, just because he´s so darn cynical and anti-christian
    6. Erwin Rommel
    7. Karl Marx
    8. Einstein
    9. Sun Tzu
    10. Field Marshal Zhukov

[ January 04, 2003, 00:09: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

6. Mortensen Banned

Definately William Wallace

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Sokrates, because wisdom has no bane :D

after that.. Tolkien, for creating what is as real as many other mythologies, we just know when it was created.

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

1) Jebus ' look ma I'm on a cross' Christ
    2) Alleh, with Muha'confront infidels with terrorism' moot as his Prophet
    3) Ya ' circumcise yourselves clumsily and incur the hate of the world while still being holier than thou' wee, or more simply, God.
    4) The 'rape little altar boys' Poop
    5) Hitler
    6) Stalin

All of them are dudes responsible for millions and millions of deaths and unthinkable suffering. Yep, they rank up as heroes all right. I'll put the top 3 right into the same category as the bottom two.
    The spelling is intentional, by the way.

:mad:

* Shura, enemy of all monotheistic fundamentalist religions.*

9. Dolphin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

1.Karl Marx
    2.Che Guevara(well, he's a hero in my eyes)
    3.Ghandi
    4.Lenin
    5.Martin Luther King Jr.
    6.Fidel Castro(Hasta La Victoria Siempre!)

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Anyone who is related to Communism or anyone that's anti-American/European/White/Christian, because I try to be an iconoclast.

:rolleyes:

11. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

methinks Shura has a little aggression.

For me it is Charlemagne.

PS: Shcindler's list is mostly fabricated. Schindler was in it for himself.
    And William Wallace was not as great as they make out either.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A propos: do you know that Charlemagne was declared a saint? :D

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

It is always interesting to see the wide variety of heroes that people have...

My is not a military, political, or religious figure, although many of the people that have been mentioned here are towards the top of my list.

My hero was a famous man who did not want to be famous, never took well to his celebrity status, and tried his damndest to live a "normal," everyday life.

That man: John Ernst Steinbeck, writer

14. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

yeah Stonewall Jackson! Were is a guy like that when you need one in politics???

Amazing how some topics go off like wildfire...

most of mine have already been mentioned. So a few new ones:

the mothers of all the men who have died in war,
    the wives who have been left behind,
    the children who had no choice...

15. Iuz the Wicked Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sepp Dietrich

16. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A simple man called Allen Turing

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I propose those who sacrificed themselves for Good and Justice perfectly nowing this would go unnoticed and they would never become heroes of future generations.

18. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

J.R.R Tolkein
    Martin Luther
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    The guy who invented post-its
    Jesus

19. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

20. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Maybe gilgamesh... or my past incarnations...

[ January 18, 2003, 13:07: Message edited by: X ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.