1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Congress Resolution... To War!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rastor, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It's been done. Congress has given Bush authorization to attack Iraq. This is for primarily sharing opinions as to what you think the possible ramifications of this latest event could be.

I can see a number of outcomes, none of them very beneficial to the American people. If America wins, it will forever secure us the hatred of the Middle Eastern governments. If we lose, well, I hate to think of losing this.

[ October 20, 2002, 11:23: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Last time I looked, Bush didn't need authorization. But he said he wanted congressional support, which is of course, the smart thing to do if you're the man making the call and would like to be reelected.

Other than that, send in the Special Forces. My God, do any of you realize just how many of those guys Live for stuff like this?

Psychopaths with extensive training and the weaponry to match. All of them. Not excepting the guys that jump out of planes, or make their way through known landmine areas. Sure, some of them won't come back, but they specically know this going in.

Let the guys that want to play, have their fun; I say!

3. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Bush needs congressional support if he wants to keep troops stationed in a hostile area. He could send them without Congressional backing, but they would just recall them after 24 hours or some such small time limit. Not only would that be an awful political move regarding upsetting the legislature, it would also be rather embarassing to be so publicly overridden and chastised.

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually, if he wants to the President can make war for 60 days without going to Congress. A lot longer than 24 hours, plenty of time to wreak havoc.

I've actually changed my opinion regarding the appropriateness of a forced regime change, but the other thread on the subject had deginerated to the point that I chose not to post there.

Perhaps more important than Congressional support are the reports of a compromise brewing in the U.N.

In short, there was a lot of shouting here in particular about "Bush is a power hungry moron waging unilateral war!" when there has yet to be a war and now it is becoming more and more likely to have multi-lateral support.

I've started to change my mind on whether we should force a regime change. Most of the arguments against it on this board have not been persuasive. Here is a short article about why it may not be the best move, I'm purposely leaving the author's name out since it may create bias. I'll give the name later if anyone is interested, some may have read it. It's filled with rhetoric but makes some good points.

That was a good short article. If you have a longer attention span and want to see what I think is an OUTSTANDING non-biased analysis I think this is a start:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/11/fallows.htm

5. Pip Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I thought that the reason Pres. Bush got the authorization was to avoid the same problems his father did in '91. That was to give iraq the time to hide it's weapon facilities. Am I wrong?

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Does anyone know if the US will be taking along her little brother this time round?...

7. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

That authorization from Congress was very much expected... but it is an authorization, not a recommendation, or anything of the sort. In other words, a peaceful solution is still possible.

Personally I think a more interesting turn in these events is how the US actually seems to back down on their UN resolution demands. As it is now it seems like the French will get things their way, as usual. :D I don't mind though, it seems like a reasonable compromise, and to me, being european, the white house scores major points for trying to reach a consensus instead of going off on their own.

Once again, Saddam Hussein is somewhere around 75 years old now (noone knows for sure). He will not live forever. The Saudi-arabian royalty is falling apart, and the citizens are unhappy with the way they have cooperated with the US. Almost every country in this region has a similar situation: None of them are democratic, and in many cases those dictators seem to be on the verge of being overthrown.

The middle east is far from stable. In fact, if there is one place in the world where a world war might start, it's right there.

So shipping large amounts of troops to that same area doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. What the middle east needs is help to defuse this situation, before there is another war, and I think the UN has a better chance of doing something about that than the US, but of course, for the UN to be able to do anything, it needs US support. That's why I'm glad that the US seems to be willing to compromise and debate, instead of just pushing their own agenda at any cost.

8. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Excellent excerpt and article, Laches. It's refreshing to see a clearheaded argument on the subject.

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

If Bush does attack Iraq, Sadam would probably do what he did last time, burn the oil. But not only the oil fields, all the oil. A fire that would last about 5 years to stop burning and the world economy would be wrecked. Does anyone want to pay 50 dollars for a litre of oil, that might be cheap if Bush really attacks.

[ October 22, 2002, 19:34: Message edited by: Silverblade ]

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I wish Bush would stop sabre rattling and get involved in the Israeli/Palestinian dispute!!! I think that would go a long way if we could help the Palestinians get a little self-determination.

I think it would help them tremendously, raise US esteem in the rest of the Islamic world, and maybe even help in the fight against terrorism.

As far as Iraq...We made our bed in the Gulf War, now we have to lie in it. Military action against Iraq should not be an option. Sanctions have worked, between pushing for inspections and our own surveillance methods, we should know for sure if Saddam can make the bomb or not.

If the administration offered concrete proof of Saddam's misadventures, then I would act...But definitely not on what we've been presented with now. The rationale is very thin...Anorexic even.

11. Laches Gems: 19/31

Silverblade, Hussein couldn't burn up the second largest reserve of oil in the world. I'm sure he wishes he could threaten it (Dune anyone?) but your right in that he could burn the caps again. From an oil standpoint, the benefit to the West economically from having a stable and friendly power in place would outweigh the short term financial pain caused by forced regime change. If Iraq opened its production it could produce roughly 50% of the total amount pumped out by OPEC. Talk about driving OPEC nuts, that's why the Arab leaders in the area aren't and have never been interested in a stable Iraq -- it hurts them in the pocketbook. Same reason France, Russia, and Germany aren't interested in seeing Hussein out -- those countries do more business with the current regime than anyone else. Hussein gets to choose who he gives oil to in the current oil for food program and don't for a second think it's an accident that he chose Russia, France, and Germany and that they're now protecting him. I'm not so naive to think that opening one of the world's most untapped oil supplies plays a part in this, please do us the favor any of you Europeans reading this to not think Europes disapproval of regime change isn't linked to the billions Europe is making by dealing with Hussein.

Bel, I think there is an excellent reason for regime change. It's been presented.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2063437&entry=2063447

Here is some of the data from the Human Right's Watch:

http://www.hrw.org/worldreport99/mideast/iraq.html

And last years report from Amnesty International:
    http://web.amnesty.org/web/ar2002.nsf/mde/iraq!Open

Since the end of the Gulf War the Iraqi government has, by its own admission, caused 16,500 "disappear."

There is more than enough justification for a forced regime change in my opinion.

The reason I am no longer comfortable with a forced regime change is not the justification but rather uncertainty about what comes after. The articles linked in my above post illustrate why, particularly the long Atlantic article.

I believe the U.S. has the resources to rebuild Iraq in a way that would make the world proud. However, with the Powell doctrine, and current state of political infighting, I do not think the U.S. has the will power to bring these resources to bear over the long term that would be necessary. Current Afghanistan is an example of that in my opinion. Therefore, a strictly utilitarian analysis makes me think that in the long run more harm than good could come from a forced regime change.

[ October 22, 2002, 20:48: Message edited by: Laches ]

12. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree that Iraq NEEDs a regime change...I just don't see why it's America's job to topple the government. I could understand if the Kurds, or Shi'ite muslims being persecuted in Iraq rebelled and needed outside support to gain power...I'd be all for helping them out, if they intend to institute a democratic form of government.

That's different than saying: "We don;t like the way you do things...So you're going down!" What if China felt that way about the US (they do) and acted on it?!? I just don't think it's right.

13. Laches Gems: 19/31

Ah but see, the Kurds have been fighting and asking for help for a long, long time now. We simply haven't responded to it because we didn't feel it was in our interest. See the Slate article linked above for some of the specifics I believe, there are other links on the web. Hussein has simply been more effective at killing the opposition, so they're not as strong, but they've been fighting and asking for help for a long time.

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] That's new to me...But I don't read the papers or watch the news...If that's the case, then Bush is getting worse advice on foreign affairs than I thought!

If the US could arm and support indigenous peoples to overthrow Hussein, and broker a deal for a Palestinian homeland - I think he could be remembered as a great president.

Too bad he's not, and it won't. Tragically, I voted for him! :eek: Oh well, the better of two poor choices...

15. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm, this whole Middle East thing has always been one huge mess. I tend to stay from that sort of thing, but if the US goes over there than let's just send some Rangers over there, have some Delta Force operators do the really nasty "behind enemy lines" stuff and air strike the rest. I'm not too opposed personally to giving Iran a headache (just us being over there is enough to do that), think they have something like that coming (sponcering terrorism and all (cowardly way to fight a war.) However, as militaristic as I may sound I don't think the US should act without the support of the UN.

16. idoru Gems: 11/31

atreides: interesting point, but I can't help but wonder just how much you know about the subject when you start talking about Iran supporting terrorism, in a thread where we're discussing Iraq... They are very different countries after all.

17. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] We've played a cat and mouse game between Iran and Iraq for most of the years I've been alive. I remember when I was very young Iran was almost a friend in the area, because we backed the Shah. When Khomeni took power, we turned against Iran and back...Yes! You guessed it! Iraq - in the Iran-Iraq war.

So it's understandable why the Mid-East isn't crazy about the US...We tend to be short-sighted and back dogs. See: Hussein, Noriega, even a spunky fellow in Afghanistan named Osama. The list caould go on, but I don't remember everyone's names...

The bottom line is, America's leadership need to think long term about the region and opt for overall stability rather than supporting the flavor of the month. With that said, most of these blunders written above were from the Cold War era, when the enemy of my enemy was my friend ruled diplomacy. The world has changed - we need to change with it.

Our primary goal in the region should be the institution of free-democratic autonomy for Middle Eastern nations. Our system isn't perfect, but it's a far sight better than most. Definitely better than the 8th century oligarchies currently in use in the Mid-East today.

18. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I do wonder what a Middle East democracy would look like.

Ok, there's Israel. Let me rephrase.

I wonder what an Islamic Middle Eastern democracy would be like. Would they get sucked by the Hollywood culture as quickly as Europe and Asia have? (I hope not.) Would they be able to bring back something of the wonders of Byzantium?

Hell, would they finally be able to feed their people and keep order without constant anti-Zionist diatribes?

With most modern cultures I can see something that positive they contribute to the world as a whole. I have a very hard time seeing anything positive coming from the Arab Middle East in the past half-century or so. Perhaps freeing the people from the oppressive governments currently in power would also set them free to return work on the powerful culture of their grandfathers.

19. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Shralp just two questions:
    1)Arabs have no relation with the byzantine culture, they have developed their own culture. How do they bring back the the wonders of Byzantium?
    2)Which are the wonders of Byzantium? The only wonder created by Byzantium was the church of Agia Sophia (I don't Know how it is called in english)in Constantinople, nothing else.

20. idoru Gems: 11/31

Do you see anything positive coming from Africa withing the next 50 years Shralp? We're talking about developing countries, that have, in some cases, been giving a push forward by the oil... but apparently that push has only reached a select few in each country. I don't expect much from the middle east, but democracy would be nice, there are some very nice african examples of how it is possible even in very poor countries, with a little help from the UN.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.