1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kangaxx help...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kavik Kang, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wow. Ok, I've spent most of 2 days fighting Kangaxx over and over again and I am sick of it. Can someone please tell me the simplest, cheesiest, fastest way of killing Kangaxx. I no longer have any interest at all in winning this totally unfair fight, I just want the ring. So I can leave for chapter 7.

I have tried many methods outlined on this site, none of which work. For example, hiding a spell imune mage in the corner and protecting the rest of the party from undead doesn't work because the the demilich does not appear when you move the mage out of the corner, instead the first lich simply puts up it's defenses. Patches must have changed how that works. Single character methods don't work because you must bring your whole party down the stairs. Sunray doesn't seem to have any effect. None of the methods I have found on this site work, I've tried more than I can count.

Can someone please just tell me the easiest, cheesiest, quickest way to get the ring? Oh, and I tried pickpocketing the ring too, but that also did not work, probably because imoen isn't good enough at it. All I need is any way to get the ring that works in the latest "final patch" version of the game. None of the methods I have found work.

In fact, Kangaxx is so stupidly invulnerable that I'd even just take a hacked file that just gives me the damn ring. I have no desire to endlessly fight a badly designed monster but I do want the ring.

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Have you found a way of killing the Lich?
    Protection from Undead and a +4/+5 weapon always did the trick as far as the Demilich goes. Also elemental damage.
    Any two of FoA, IMoD, Dragon's Breath Halberd, Vorpal Sword, Carsomyr should do the trick.

If you just want the ring: CLUAConsole:CreateItem("RING39",1)

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Buy one (or both) of the Protection From Magic scrolls from Ribald in Adventurers Mart. Give them to a tank who has a +4 weapon. Put scroll in tank's quick slot. Use scroll. Whack Kangaxx until he's dead. Whack him until he's dead again. Pick up ring. Very easy, and not too cheesy.

Good luck. :)

4. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

that's the way I did it first time too.

5. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31

Well...

After reading more posts earlier I discovered that thief potions are cumulative, so I just used the 5 perception potions I had carried around forever without using and easily stole the ring. I had tried drinking one potion but once I found out they were cumulative that made it easy.

I'll have to go back and try what you suggested with the Protection from Magic scroll later, I'm really sick of fighting him after two full nights of trying everything under the sun. I have Keldorn with Carsomyer, Valygar with the Wave Halberd (but no proficinecy, he usually uses Celstial and Flail of Ages) and they have to beat on them forever to get anywhere. It seems like he they put up all kinds of magical stoneskin types of things or something. Niether of them seem to take damage except on rare occasions.

What do you do with your other party members? Usually one of the front line fighters just dies all of a sudden, but sometimes other's die. How does protection from magic on one character protect everyone else?

I play a lot of games, but RPGs have never been my thing:) I love this one though, I might actually play it again just to use Edwin and Viconia because they seem like the best NPCs in the game. I'm melee heavy this time too, Berserker, so I can play evil majic heavy and try a Kensai/Mage because that seems like it would be the coolest PC too me.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    um... even easier with prot from magic. Dont have it cast on a character and kill kangaxx. Cast it ON kangaxx. Puts him in a shell where he cant be hurt OR hurt out of. Makes your entire party immune.

7. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Silly me...I've never considered using the Protection from Magic scroll on an enemy! I would assume that this tactic would work on most of the spell hurling foes throughout the game, yes?

As for your characters dying, I believe you are refering to Kangaxx's imprisonment ability which he will use frequently. Any characters lost this way can be returned by casting a Freedom spell in the same area.

There are tons of tactics on this board for killing Special K, but my favorite is just sending in a buffed, hasted, berzerked Minsc, and get everyone else as far away as possible.

8. San Ti Gems: 5/31

just use a MoD +2 and a scroll of protection against magic

9. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31

Well, I got the ring so that's all I needed. Casting the anti-magic thing on him sounds like a good plan, but I don't understand some of the advice like sending a single character. It seems like only one in a hundred swings does any damage with 2 characters using +4 or better weapons. Like he has an almost infinant stoneskin or something. Just swinging weapons at him doesn't appear to have any effect 99.9% of the time, so I don't understand how that is supposed to help.

It seems as though I am missing a vital piece of information or something. I don't see how swinging weapons at him would ever kill him. I spent two nights doing that.

10. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Carsomyr casts Dispel Magic 50% of the times it hits... I think it dispels the Stoneskins, and thus makes it not so hard to kill kangaxx...

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Takara... this is brilliant! Since Kangaxx has no physical attack to speak of, and since he's immune to most magic anyway, this is a perfect way to kill him. Amazing of you to have thought of this :thumb:

@Lord Sven: It doesn't really matter, because Kangaxx never casts Stoneskin anyway. The only 2 spells he does cast (as a Demi-lich) are Demi-lich Wail and Imprisonment. The problem is that he has an amazing AC, and god-like resistances to every damage you can think of.

A not-too-cheesy but fun way to kill him is to lay a few traps (3 are enough, I think) on the ledge behind him (NE corner of the room), then use the Ring of the Ram to push him into the corner. The added damage from the ring and the traps will kill him in no time (they're the only 2 damage types he doesn't have resistance against)

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Probably it would, but considering that there are only 2 scrolls in the game, this wouldn't be a strategy you could consistently rely upon (unless you used a tactic that some consider cheesy - specifically, have a mage equip the scroll, cast Simulacrum, and have the clone use the scroll copy; the mage's original scroll remains intact.)

13. TheBard Gems: 5/31

Veteran

yeah, and there are two demiliches so there is your strategy for both of them LOL.

of course, telling you WHERE would be a spoiler.

14. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

They might get killed by the first spell wail of banshe. After that he just keeps casting Imprisonment on the nearest enemy, stupid Kangaxx, he drops after 3 hits from the Improved Mace of Disruption :grin:

15. Newfie Banned

Make sure you have lots of Freedom spells, have Minsc and Korgan berserk and have Keldorn wack at him with Carsomyr. Also if you have Anomen make sure he uses the Mace of Disruption. One wack from that and Kangaxx is toast! I had an elven archer as my character and he wasn't long falling. Make sure all your characters have freedom spells so if there is only one remaining at the end of the fight he can free the rest. Use your usual lich treatment (cast prot from evil, summon demons, monsters) everything to soften him up before closing in for the kill.

16. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hm, good ole Kangaxx...
    By the way, what I usually did was to summon a lot of creeps to make him try to constantly imprison them, while Imoen (with SotM and spell trap) casted freedom every now and then. Beside the meat shield, the damage dealing was done with a quick sunray at the beginning of the battle (before he protects his miserable ossigied self), and later with sunstone bullets. No kidding, they work quite ok!
    Oh, by the way, rings that deal direct damage are useful too - like the ring of the ram and the victor's ring. With vhailor's helm and the daystar, they alone can decide the battle.

18. noldor372 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There's also a mage spell that protects you from any one school of magic. If you select Abjuration, the imprison effect does NOTHING. I think that renders him impotent.

19. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I discovered that using a protection from magic scroll on an enemy wizard was a good idea in BGI, when having six characters in their blue bubbles slowed my old machine down horribly. However, one problem remains so far as Kangaxx goes: when you kill his original lich form, and the demi-lich pops out, the protection from magic effect is wasted, so you would have to use a second scroll. Another problem is that Kangaxx uses his Imprisonment as an ability, not a spell, and so it will be cast on your party members even if he is unable to cast anything else.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, the lich is pretty much wasted by the time the daystar hits him... The demi-lich is the big problem

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.