1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most useful summons?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yeah, I had been referring to Isshy's post, right above ours'.

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Improved Spider Summoning item sumomons a very durable and powerful spider instantly, it has mirror image, can web and poison the victims if they fail various saving throws, definitely powerful!

Moon dog is particularly useful against evil mages due to his special abilities.

What about golden lion figurine? It sucks big time. So much for that! :p

3. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The Spider Figurine summons a spider named Kitthix. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that in my earlier post:
    Her web isn't that great as it only targets one enemy and if the enemy is moving she usually misses so I use the level 2 arcane spell Web instead. Add in some Sword Spiders and you have a deadly nest indeed.

@Fel: Thanks. I looked for that quote and still missed it. Musta been tired.

4. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ye ole wand of monster summoning is always very handy. others are Mord Swords, Animate Dead at 15th level, Conjure Fire Elemental, just to name a few but for me the wand of monster summoning is
    always the handiest.

5. rich0203 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Whenever I solo, I found that a sequencer with web and 2 spider spawns really help. It'll trap the party and the sword spiders go off. Mordenkainen's is probably my favorite, because they don't die so I can back away and use project image and such. Animate dead is also good.

If I'm just using summons in a party, I go for more fun, cooler summons since I don't need protection. Earth Elementals and the demons(gate, cacofiend, and fiend). Hakeashaar is decent too.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Mordy's Swords for melee. Immune to all physical damage.

Hakeshar for magic. Immune to all magic.

That's all you need to do to defeat all enemies.

7. rich0203 Gems: 2/31

Not necessarily. I've noticed Mord's sword dies very easily to death spell and the like. Hakeashar never really seems to do all that well either. Though I use the sword in just about every battle. After I cast project image I spam them like nobody's business.

8. Isshy Gems: 7/31

ALL summons instantly die from death spell.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Except gated Pit Fiends...

10. Isshy Gems: 7/31

It had already been stated (by yours truly) in this thread that Pit Fiends are gated and not summoned. So all summons do indeed die to Death Spell.

[ May 28, 2006, 21:15: Message edited by: Isshy ]

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Spider Spawn for the beginning.
    Animate Dead once you reach level 15 and get Skeleton Warriors. Mordenkainen's Sword is a nice back-up for Animate Dead, but the title "Most Useful Summons" must go to Animate Dead.

12. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

All the way through the game, the one I use most is Monster summon I/II usually from wands, and the reason, stick them next to a Mage or Lich before your characters and the mage/lich will concentrate on that deadly goblin, with all their fire power, death spells, horrid wilting etc etc.

Kangaxx for instance took 4 summons while I beat the hell out of him, without losing a party member, I did lose 7 of the goblins though :(

13. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

That is my point about the wand of Monster summoning. powerful enemies waste good firepower on cannon fodder.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Completely forgot skeleton warriors. They're way better than hakeshar, being absolutely immune to magic too, and last longer, so guess it is Mordy's Swords and Skelly Warriors. For the death spells, a few spider spawns take care of that. Most enemies have only one or two of them.

In general, have to agree that skeleton warriors are the most useful summon.

15. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think the elementals are better than other summons, in my humble opinion. And if you summon with a cleric or druid, you don´t need the time of waiting of the mage´s conjurations.

16. rich0203 Gems: 2/31

Have any of you people used carrion crawlers or wyverns legitamately? I used them once, but it was against somebody way too powerful.

17. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

Carrion Crawlers and Wyverns never seem to last very long no matter who they face. Considering thier spell level they seem very pathetic! Anyway, thats my :2c: .

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Summon car keys.

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The Carrion Crawlers are actually excellent summons against humanoids, because every attack they do forces the target to make a save or get paralyzed. There are a few fights in the game that involves powerful humanoids (particularly Mages) and several more in modded ones, so it really helps if you have at least one memorized. They are useless against dragons, demons and the like tho.
    I doubt anyone has ever found a good use for the Wyvern summon. The only time I would summon one would be out of desperation, straight from a scroll.

20. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

Before I send any Potent summons aginst a foe that may cast the Death Spell I will send a few
    goblins or gnolls summoned via wand to absorb the
    Death Spells and any other harmful spells before I
    summon X. That way I get some use out of summon X.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.