1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting out questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Great Snook, Jul 30, 2005.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I just finished HoTU and now I'm giving this game a shot. I am playing with a pretty traditional party

Fighter
    Sorceress
    Rogue- probably dualled to wizard
    Cleric
    Druid

Here is a quick list of things that I haven't been able to figure out.

1. How do you see how much experience the characters have and what they need to get to the next level?
    2. Is there any way to circle or zoom the camera in (ala NWN)?
    3. In combat there must be a way to have someone skip their turn or wait until the end of the round. I may have screwed and not given my fighter improved initiative.
    4. Is there a pause? I'm curious because I got into Hommlet and there are all sorts of people wandering around who I want to figure out who they are.

2. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Good luck Snook.This game is great fun I just hope the bugs dont get you.
    To answer some of you're qestions.
    1.Just click on the player portrait at the bottom of the screen.It should show how much experience you have.I just started the game again myself and its been a while so I cant remember where it shows what you need for the next level.
    2.I dont think you can move the camera but I may be wrong about that.
    3.When in combat you can move any member of youre party farther down the line.Just grab there picture at the top where you see the order of combat and move it down the line to where you would like them to go.Great for getting in mass attack spells and the like before having to move the fighters in.
    4.I don't rember there being a pause I think you just have to move the courser over them and it will show there names.
    Good Luck and have fun.I love the combat system!

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nope. You cannot see how much the char needs to gain another lvl. However, I'm now providing you with a lvl progression table.
    Code:

CHAR LVL      EXP
    ----------   ---------
        1         0 
        2         1,000
        3         3,000
        4         6,000
        5         10,000
        6         15,000
        7         21,000
        8         28,000
        9         36,000
       10         45,000
    And that is that without a lvl cap remover.

Nope. However, setting the resolution to lower lvls works kind of like a zooming effect.
    Setting it to 800x600 gets you pretty close.

Yes there is. Simply press [space].
    n.b. You might want to check out page 146 in your game manual to see keyboard commands such as this one!

Nope. The only way to pause the game, afaik, is to press [esc], thus making you unable to perform anything (Most people wandering, however, are simply guards. Only case of a non-guard in Hommlet I've met is Elmo, and he'll automatically talk to you if you encounter him).

EDIT: Btw, since ur new to ToEE I advise you to go here Circle of Eight patch and fixPack installation guide Since there are some patches and the co8 ficpack which are must-haves, if you want to avoid major bugs (And believe me, there's plenty of 'em!)...

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I must have been blind. I've found the experience indicator :lol:

Here's another question. Is there a way to designate one character to handle all conversations (my Sorcerer has a sweet 18 charisma)

I am using the Co8 patches, although I'm also crazy in that loaded Liv's mod too. It is supposed to have some real good improvements, but make it harder. Hopefully, I'll be O.K.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It does make a few aspects of the game quite hareder.

There's now way to 'set' a special character to handle all conversation. However, I usually make a character (like a sorc or bard) with high cha score, and make him/her talk to everyone to get good diplomacy, bluff, and so on checks. What you should do is to select that char when wanting to speak to someone. Of course, you cannot always be 100% sure that that character will be the whom other characters chose to talk to.
    Arh, I thought you new that one, but wanted a nxt. lvl indicator :/

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    O.K. here is another one. Where the heck do you buy crossbow bolts in Hommlet? I found the blacksmith and he has arrows, but not bolts.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hmm. Come to think of it, it was always a PITA to find bolts throughout the game. I think the first time I got a decent supply of 'em was when I attacked the moathouse and looted the human defenders; can get ~20 bolts from each guy, and there's over half a dozen, so...

If I'm remembering right, I gave up on ranged weapons--except for my arcane casters--due to ammo issues.

8. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Major ammo issues with this game. No bullets to be found anywhere. Limited bolts and darts (if anyone uses these). Get the Co8 patch for the extra merchant option. Unlimited masterwork bolts and bullets (a little cheezy, but what game have you ever played that had unusable weapons.)

9. nl255 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Merchants do restock if you are away from the map they are on for 24 hours, so go somwhere else and rest until 24 hours have passed then go back to town. That way you can get unlimited bolts/arrows/darts/bullets instead of just one set per merchant.

One important thing to do is always loot dead bodies of everything as leaving too much stuff around (no item decay in TOEE) can cause problems and even corrupt your savegame (integer overflow?). This is very important if you rest constantly in dangerous areas to build experience points and levels.

10. Issmortor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yeah about the bolts...i dont know how you can be short...just from picking up dead-body-loot, my sorcerer is literally carying around about 2000 bolts...im just glad they dont make ammo weight anyhting in this game

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So far I've only fought creatures and the undead. I'm still real early in the game.

12. bozo69pd Gems: 1/31

you usually can beat the game pretty easily with a fighter, cleric, and wizard/sorceror group. Remember the less people in the party playing will be:

a. more efficient
    b. cheaper on item crafting
    c. faster leveling

13. Alban Orinsul Gems: 1/31

aye, its an easy game, and i agree with the 'less people in a group' rule above, but the games winnable, easily, with just a rouge.
    the other class [except maybe the magical ones] really need assisstance.
    but most the quests you can sneak though and if you choose the side of evil, a rouges easy, as a rouge by himself would be hard pressed to fight hedrick or the deamons. but he can clear out the moathouse if you do all the experiance for errands quests or do some training on the deaders to the north.
    Try around with different playing styles though the find one that suits you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.