1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Meleny loses weapons during trading

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cervino, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cervino Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay, so I romanced Meleny and invited her into my party. Seeing that she had proficiency with scimitar, I bought here a masterwork scimitar for melee fighting and a light crossbow for ranged fighting. Then I discovered that Whenever I traded with anyone, whichever weapons were not currently equipped simply disappeared from her inventory. I'm fully patched up and am running the Circle of 8 mod as well. Anyone seen this behavior with Meleny or other NPCs that you equip with weapons? It's extremely anoyning if this is a glitch.

2. Newfie Banned

Yup, it is a recurring problem especially with Spugnoir and all his magic items. By now, I give all my extra items to another character before trading by instinct.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, those damned retainers just love to sell off any gear you ask them to carry. The generally don't sell off the weapons they started with - the problem being that for the most part those weapons suck.

4. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you look in the traders inventory, the missing items might still be there. It does make it annoying.

5. cervino Gems: 1/31

Right, but--at least from a role-playing perspective--even if I really love my new wife, I'm not going to be constantly buying her a masterwork scimitar every time we go trading! I suppose I'll have to develop Newfie's habit.

6. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

NPCs won't sell stuff that is equipped, nor will they sell or trade with you any item they start with. Not a major problen with most, but Spurnoir is so weak, he can't help bring much loot back to town. My solution, take your NPCs out and get them killed, sell their junk, raise them, then reequip with better stuff. Yeah, I know you need cash to do this, but there are ways around this. I would not concider it cheating as you are just correcting a programing error. Plus I enjoyed dressing Spurnoir up in orange monk outfit with that Chinese peasant hat (and these clothes were lighter than the robes he had so he could help carry stuff).

7. cervino Gems: 1/31

Yes, that's right. They won't sell off anything currently equipped. Problem is that with clerics and wizzards, I like for them to carry both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon (for some battles, I don't want them getting any closer to the action than they have to in order to perform various functions). It's bad enough that NPCs have been coded so that they can only be equipped with one set of weapons at a time with no ability to simply choose one set or the other as you can with your own party members...Repeatedly killing them does some advantages regarding experience. However, will my new wife appreciate me continually puting her to death? "Honey, it's for your own good..."

[ April 09, 2005, 11:55: Message edited by: cervino ]

8. konny666 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Old post, but I just thought I'd point out that Livonya's mod solves this particular NPC problem.

When you talk to an NPC in your party, you have the option of telling it to keep all items currently in his/her inventory, and not sell anything. If you give her any new items, you simply tell her again to keep everything.

Quite handy... grab the mod over at Co8.org

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.